Jump to content
RideWithWill

anyone uses saddle bags while single track riding? share pics!

Recommended Posts

Plus 1 for the Wolfman Day Tripper. I've carried spare tubes, tire tools, a jacket, food, etc. My only complaint, which would apply to any brand, is even though the bags are cinched down tight, dirt, mud, sand and dust will still get in between the back of the bag and the side panel and will roughen up and discolor the plastic and/or graphics. I put clear tape in the area where the bags are positioned and at the end of my trip, just removed the roughed up tape instead of having to replace plastic or graphics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BOAB said:

Those are really nice, but wow, are they expensive!

Haha! I didn’t recall paying so much for mine.

honestly, the ones I have look smaller than the day tripper pack that was $200, I would likely call them before ordering if someone is looking for this size I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BluePill said:

OuVnKrK.jpg

I am down with firearms, but your whole thing with the AR, is that a joke?

please tell me you don’t point the muzzle toward you, and the whole method of securement

 

hahaha!

oh lawdy lawdy 😂

 

 

989BD723-9161-40E9-9309-E9E2F4DBFC2B.jpeg

Edited by SloChicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, woods-rider said:

I’ve got the giant loop Mojave saddle bags, got them for a BDR trip I did this summer. No way I would want those on the bike for technical riding.

 

I wasn’t impressed with their strap material either. Started fraying after one mild 500 mile ride of mostly dirt roads and maybe 20 miles of true trails.

 

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

Seems the problem is the retainer, less so the strap material; though the two are pretty imcompatible.

if that piece were plastic of some sort, or the aluminum was chamfered on the contact edges (preferred), it would do much better.

as it is, you have your strap wrapped around a dull knife, so to speak.

Edited by SloChicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Troy_Turner said:

Bags are a pain but this Tank Bag by Giant Loop is the only one I have seemed to stay with. It's out of the way, doesn't flip flop around and holds all my tools and lunch so my back pack is just water and first aid.

TT.jpg

How much, if any, does it restrict moving forward?

looks like a good spot, but the inability to move weight forward would be my main concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woods-rider said:

The frame lugs are from Giant Loop, but yeah, apparently they are too sharp for their own straps. Mule tape and a carabiner sound like a good way to go though.

LOL,

I guess you know already haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for all these feedbacks!! drz400 seems like it will be the larger bags so I can fit in clothes and materials for short day trips. planning one soon to Breckenridge on bikes and hitting all the trails around there. getting some good ideas on the 2 stroke though for single track stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anytime I can get weight off me and on to the bike I see as a positive.  Everybody likes a bit of a different setup, but I really like the fender bags for tools and hardparts specific to the bike it's on.....then a small hydration pack for lighter weight stuff like jackets and food.

Fender packs came with all enduro bikes back in the day....not sure why no OEM puts them on bikes anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloChicken said:

I am down with firearms, but your whole thing with the AR, is that a joke?

please tell me you don’t point the muzzle toward you, and the whole method of securement

 

hahaha!

oh lawdy lawdy 😂

 

 

989BD723-9161-40E9-9309-E9E2F4DBFC2B.jpeg

Official Zombie Apocalypse Bug Out Vehicle.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BluePill said:

Official Zombie Apocalypse Bug Out Vehicle.

If so for your own good, I suggest you model the term “Gray Man”.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite happy with my Enduristan Blizzard saddle bags. Very well made, and water-proof. Designed by a dude that rides around the world and stuff. I can provide pics of them on my 690 if you want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Unsprung Gyro said:

I'm quite happy with my Enduristan Blizzard saddle bags. Very well made, and water-proof. Designed by a dude that rides around the world and stuff. I can provide pics of them on my 690 if you want.

For $290-$400 one would hope so 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20161007_231606.thumb.jpg.c893e732b1c121499ccfe9a2adfb7526.jpg

+3 for wolfman day trippers. i've had these for 3 years and they work great. they do ruff the plastic a lil. BUT have a rear sinch to keep them pulled and tight. also ripped off a couple of straps and sent back to wolfman and they've resewn them back on!!

 

**PS** i ride some gnar single track in PNW and the bags keep tight just fine*

Edited by brute448
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloChicken said:

For $290-$400 one would hope so 😱

Compared to it’s competitors (Moscow moto, wolf man, giant loop) I thought it was decent considering the waterproof claim. So far I’m happy- nothing wet, and they seem like they will last a decade or more of abuse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SloChicken said:

How much, if any, does it restrict moving forward?

looks like a good spot, but the inability to move weight forward would be my main concern.

I was worried about that as well and thought I would just use it on long day trips etc. But realized that I didn't feel the need to get any closer to the tank. In fact after a couple rides I don't even realize it's there any more and I even get lazy and leaned against it when I'm standing up for a long time. If you do get one... get the small one. They make a bigger one (taller) and I didn't like that at all. Yes it's kind of ugly... but the weight is in a really good spot... not flapping around on the vendors or on your back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Troy_Turner said:

I was worried about that as well and thought I would just use it on long day trips etc. But realized that I didn't feel the need to get any closer to the tank. In fact after a couple rides I don't even realize it's there any more and I even get lazy and leaned against it when I'm standing up for a long time. If you do get one... get the small one. They make a bigger one (taller) and I didn't like that at all. Yes it's kind of ugly... but the weight is in a really good spot... not flapping around on the vendors or on your back.

Other than being lower, as far as weight plcement that is about best IMO.

that said, I am converting my desert pig (2012 TE 511 - in the pic above) into a light ADV bike and am also considering a small windscreen.

problem being, the amount of times I have banged my helmet on my gps which is on my bars in the pics makes me think the windscreen may be a no go,

same considerations with the bag, as apparently I get pretty far forward, and low on the tank-bars area on the more extreme climbs or obstacles.

 

always a trade off  - on my 2stroke TX300 i just wear a hydration pac and a klim butt bag/tool kit.

Edited by SloChicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SloChicken said:

Other than being lower, as far as weight plcement that is about best IMO.

that said, I am converting my desert pig (2012 TE 511 - in the pic above) into a light ADV bike and am also considering a small windscreen.

problem being, the amount of times I have banged my helmet on my gps which is on my bars in the pics makes me think the windscreen may be a no go,

same considerations with the bag, as apparently I get pretty far forward, and low on the tank-bars area on the more extreme climbs or obstacles.

 

always a trade off  - on my 2stroke TX300 i just wear a hydration pac and a klim butt bag/tool kit.

I agree. Going from really fast single track woods riding to Light ADV and back again is always my goal. I did the WA BDR, 650 miles + 200 miles side single track, with this set up and a backpack. But lived in motels :)

https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/

IMG_3093.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...