Can any one give me some tips to get rid of that gap inbetween my forks and triple clamp, been told they are yamaha forks and its got a bud triple clamp, the bikes a ktm 125 sx, sum help would be much appreciated.

20190910_175815.jpg

20190910_175749.jpg

20190910_175913.jpg

Edited by Jakky

The triple clamp(s) is the wrong size for the fork tubes or visa versa. One of these will have to be replaced. There is no fix. Do not ride the bike in this condition, please.

• Like 6

Well... there is a fix but, it is the wrong way to go. You can use very thin strips of metal, like cut from a beer can. You might get it to work. But it is hack and all part of a frankenbike that loses value with every not correct 'fix'.

Just now, William1 said:

Well... there is a fix but, it is the wrong way to go. You can use very thin strips of metal, like cut from a beer can. You might get it to work. But it is hack and all part of a frankenbike that loses value with every not correct 'fix'.

a man with a lathe makes bushes ;)

but only when making their OWN frankenbike.

ive heard the best parts that fit are the triple clamp and forks off of a ktm125 sx'07....

there is so much wrong here its not worth dying over.

not just the fork tubes but are they even straight? is the axle width right for the triple clamp and the forks? is the front wheel still central?how are the brakes mounted? do they line up? does it even have them?

pull it apart so you dont ride it, and find the original parts.

• Like 3

i have had this problem several times and the way i fixed it was take an aluminum can like beer,soda,energy and cut a strip the circumference of the fork tube and the width of the triple clamp. leave about a 1/8 or so gap on the strip. it does work great,

CR

10 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Remove material from end of clamps where they meet .   Open up gap , but not more than 3/16 "  ...

This is NOT the right thing to do. Billet bent will fracture. The bores that the tubes are in will not be round, they would be oval, the forks will bind.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Charles said:

i have had this problem several times and the way i fixed it was take an aluminum can like beer,soda,energy and cut a strip the circumference of the fork tube and the width of the triple clamp. leave about a 1/8 or so gap on the strip. it does work great,

CR

That's what I call a perfect fix.

I'd say, yes do it, a fork and a triple clamp are unimportant parts, so why not? But take cans that have a relation to MX and Enduro sports. Like Red Bull or Monster Energy.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And when you overjump a 80 foot table top and land on the flat...………………………...…………………! 

Yes, I know there's a fix. I just wouldn't expect it to be done correctly (read safely) by someone who doesn't know why the gap is there in the first place?

36 minutes ago, 7Tktm said:

And when you overjump a 80 foot table top and land on the flat...………………………...…………………! 

Not many people have the balls to jump 80 ft.              I have relieved the gap on many fork clamps ,  Never had a problen ,  just don't push the  3/16" gap .   Don't overtorque bolts ..   and use light sandpaper to roughen surface where parts meet ....

If the bikes been ridden that way the forks may be toast already from uneven pressure being applied by the clamps, higher bearing stress.  You need to take the forks off and remove the springs and make sure they work smoothly.

As for the shim, if it's uniform thickness and doesn't have too sharp of an edge (because forks DO bend in the clamps) it will probably work however I would never do that myself because the consequences are too high.

Anyway, it would be interesting how the OP came to have such a hodge podge of a set up. Is it just something he is trying for reasons best known to him? We have aftermarket XTrig Rocs and cone valve forks which fit the way the manufacturers intended.  

Those look like cheap aftermarket triples - i wouldnt put my faith in a beer can shim

It will end badly if not replaced with correct triples

• Like 1

They cant be cheap after market triples clamps if i have just said they are bud triple clamps if you can read haha

Edited by Jakky