Chuck Sandes

01 cr250 clutch slip or transmission problem?

My bike started to have a speratic slipping or maybe it's a miss fire. It only happens in fifth gear. At first I thought it was a miss fire, however the more I ride it it seems more like a clutch or trans issue. What happens is, I have it in 5th gear and try to accelerate at all it feals like I am dumping the clutch over and over again. Only at an allot faster pase that I would actually be posible. I took the cover off and inspected the clutch and everything is within spec. Which makes me think ita a trans issue. However I'd think if 5th gear had a missing tooth, the rest would get stripped off shortly after. Thanks for any help in advance

1 hour ago, Chuck Sandes said:

I wonder if it could be an issue with the 5th gear dogs?

More likely this. Slipping in and out cause gear dogs sre rounded off.  Will get worse and could effect adjacent gear on other shaft.  

• Like 1

Purchased new, my YZ125 had similar slippage in 4th gear from it's 2nd season on.

At first occasional but over the years it got progressively worse.

Last winter I split the cases for the 1st time, the bottom end / gearbox had a little over 100 hours.

It took very close observation to find wear on all the corresponding 4th gear shift dogs and engagement notches

but sure enough the edges weren't as sharp as the other gears. Those gears now replaced and problem solved.

Also inspect the corresponding shift fork, look for signs of abnormal wear that could indicate a bend fork,

say you've forced it into 5th once too often or, landed a jump with your foot on the shift lever and bent the fork etc.

Edited by mlatour