2strokenut

2020 Te300i Leak

Thought I'd start a new thread so we get an idea of who is having issues. Here are some pics of my 2020 after about 3 hours run time 

Kinda want to drop it off at the dealer but what the hell are they going to change? Looks like it's leaking from multiple places. 

20190910_162615.jpg

20190910_162633.jpg

20190910_162622.jpg

20190910_162648.jpg

20190910_162708.jpg

20190910_162702.jpg

20190910_162755.jpg

20190910_162749.jpg

A lot of that is gonna be left over oil/film from assembly. Give it a wash and see what comes back. My guess is you may only see persistent leaking at the bottom of the power valve linkage cover.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nahvkolaj said:

A lot of that is gonna be left over oil/film from assembly. Give it a wash and see what comes back. My guess is you may only see persistent leaking at the bottom of the power valve linkage cover.

Seal that up with some orange high temp RTV so your power valve can look as sexy as my 2005 version. :D 

• Haha 1

So I spoke more wth the tech about mine today. They replaced my PV cover because they said it was not machined correctly. They said the D piece was too small where it goes into the clutch cover. He said the one that came on it was too small, and the new one fit much more snug. I have about 5 hours on it with no leak. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

8 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

So I spoke more wth the tech about mine today. They replaced my PV cover because they said it was not machined correctly. They said the D piece was too small where it goes into the clutch cover. He said the one that came on it was too small, and the new one fit much more snug. I have about 5 hours on it with no leak. 

My dealer needs to talk to your dealer. I called them today to ask about this and they said they haven't had any 2020 TPIs back (and they sell a ton) for this oil leak issue and had no clue what I was talking about. I haven't had my bike on a proper ride yet, but they said they'd look into it if/when becomes an issue. I am way out of 30 day warranty so I am sure I'll be paying out of pocket for the fix. 

13 hours ago, shrub73 said:

My dealer needs to talk to your dealer. I called them today to ask about this and they said they haven't had any 2020 TPIs back (and they sell a ton) for this oil leak issue and had no clue what I was talking about. I haven't had my bike on a proper ride yet, but they said they'd look into it if/when becomes an issue. I am way out of 30 day warranty so I am sure I'll be paying out of pocket for the fix. 

That's the safe dealer response.  It looks like most of them leak and from several locations.  I fixed all of mine except for one coming from that D shaped gasket. I've slathered that thing pretty heavily and it still leaks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hrpufinstuff said:

That's the safe dealer response.  It looks like most of them leak and from several locations.  I fixed all of mine except for one coming from that D shaped gasket. I've slathered that thing pretty heavily and it still leaks.  

Get the 2019 D gasket. 

47 minutes ago, shrub73 said:

Get the 2019 D gasket. 

Interesting discovery here: The 2019 vs the 2020 seal here is definitely different.  Here is the 2019 300 xcw tpi parts ficheimage.png.f0c1c5648affcef1e92c43a62078e63c.png

Here is the 2020:

image.png.d3a48374014674bdcc5980c3699c420f.png

the part numbers for the "Sealing Carrier" (D-shaped rubber gasket) are as follows:

2019: Sealing Carrier - 54837091100 and the "Sealing Elements" are part no: 54637107000

2020: only has the Carrier - 55537091000 with no "Sealing Elements"  

I wonder if the 2019 parts will replace the 2020 straight up?  

Edited by hrpufinstuff
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, shrub73 said:

Yes, I am aware. 

The 19 is reported to fit tighter and seal up.

Let's say it works and the 2019 seal fixes the problem.  Then why the hell would they change the part?  

2 minutes ago, hrpufinstuff said:

Let's say it works and the 2019 seal fixes the problem.  Then why the hell would they change the part?  

Who the hell knows why. Perhaps the cost of producing a one piece saved time/money over the legacy 2 piece?

• Like 1

My 2020 was dripping oil in the back of my truck on the way home from the dealer. They replaced the right side PV cover gasket and D grommet but the leak continued. They had to pull the front PV/exhaust flange from the cylinder and reapplied sealant to the flange. This is what cured my oil leak.

20190817_090504_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Eldon said:

My 2020 was dripping oil in the back of my truck on the way home from the dealer. They replaced the right side PV cover gasket and D grommet but the leak continued. They had to pull the front PV/exhaust flange from the cylinder and reapplied sealant to the flange. This is what cured my oil leak.

20190817_090504_HDR.jpg

I pulled the flange and re-sealed it already.  that was kind of a pain.  However, if that part seal is leaking, it would be either spooge from the exhaust or it has to be coolant.  It can't be motor oil cuz there's no motor oil up that high.  It seems like there are all sorts of locations that leak on these bikes.  

2 hours ago, Eldon said:

20190817_090504_HDR.jpg

Your bike was leaking without the motor even being run?

1 minute ago, shrub73 said:

Your bike was leaking without the motor even being run?

That's how much leaked after a 10 min warm up.

1 minute ago, Eldon said:

That's how much leaked after a 10 min warm up.

Gotcha. 

Thanks for the info. 

I have a feeling i'll be referring my dealer to this thread.