Jump to content
00boob

CRAIGSLIST PURCHASES AT A DISTANCE

Recommended Posts

I know this is way of topic but I'm putting it out there anyway...… Anybody have a strategy for purchasing items posted on CRAIGSLIST from a distance? The reason I'm asking is I found a small Item in the PORTLAND OR. area that I would like to get but I live in North Central WA. The fuel cost alone is prohibitive, The CRAIGS site states that "99% of all scams can be avoided by only doing transactions FACE TO FACE" so.... ANY IDEAS????  Okay I got the ball Rollin so.... GIVE IT A KICK!!!                       Almost seems like there may be a potential market for a service to address this.       HEY...      Craig's Lift "n" Ship!!!  

Edited by 00boob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not put any money toward developing a Craigslist service/app. OfferUP is pretty much taking over for CL and one of the main reasons is CL is starting to charge to sell items.

Online sales companies have been successful mainly because they provide buyer protection, just think of eBay/PayPal and now Amazon. Without this protection I wouldn't spend a dime online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OutdoorRob said:

I would not put any money toward developing a Craigslist service/app. OfferUP is pretty much taking over for CL and one of the main reasons is CL is starting to charge to sell items.

Online sales companies have been successful mainly because they provide buyer protection, just think of eBay/PayPal and now Amazon. Without this protection I wouldn't spend a dime online. 

I agree I was just thinking out loud. still if the item I spotted isn't listed on offer up our anywhere else "REPUTABLE" then what just forget it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's unobtainable anywhere else you could work it out with the seller and pay using a PayPal business transaction. You might have to pay the % fee they charge the seller but if things go south you can open a claim and get a refund. If you send via person to person there is no way to get a refund. 

If the item can be found on eBay or at a local store, id pay more for the piece of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OutdoorRob said:

If it's unobtainable anywhere else you could work it out with the seller and pay using a PayPal business transaction. You might have to pay the % fee they charge the seller but if things go south you can open a claim and get a refund. If you send via person to person there is no way to get a refund. 

If the item can be found on eBay or at a local store, id pay more for the piece of mind.

I never thought about PAYPAL business because this is a private party selling it. but I will check it out Thanks   P.S. no way I will find this deal on EBAY! THANKS AGAIN!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would not put any money toward developing a Craigslist service/app. OfferUP is pretty much taking over for CL and one of the main reasons is CL is starting to charge to sell items.
Online sales companies have been successful mainly because they provide buyer protection, just think of eBay/PayPal and now Amazon. Without this protection I wouldn't spend a dime online. 


Craigslist is my go-to for buying used items and selling used things of value. I don’t have FB so that marketplace thing I can’t do. Offer up has such a crappy browser where you can’t see the price until you click on the item (at least for IOS) and most of the stuff on there seems to be overpriced, or just plain junk.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

 


Craigslist is my go-to for buying used items and selling used things of value. I don’t have FB so that marketplace thing I can’t do. Offer up has such a crappy browser where you can’t see the price until you click on the item (at least for IOS) and most of the stuff on there seems to be overpriced, or just plain junk.

 

So how would you handle the type of trans action described, namely long distance?  PayPal business?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

 


Craigslist is my go-to for buying used items and selling used things of value. I don’t have FB so that marketplace thing I can’t do. Offer up has such a crappy browser where you can’t see the price until you click on the item (at least for IOS) and most of the stuff on there seems to be overpriced, or just plain junk.

 

CL used to be mine too. Now in my area they charge to sell or post certain items. Not too expensive but with other sites that are free, there's no need for CL. I only have Facebook for Marketplace. I do nothing else in it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OutdoorRob said:

CL used to be mine too. Now in my area they charge to sell or post certain items. Not too expensive but with other sites that are free, there's no need for CL. I only have Facebook for Marketplace. I do nothing else in it. 

YEP, It all adds up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So how would you handle the type of trans action described, namely long distance?  PayPal business?


I don’t buy what I can’t see first, no way to be sure it’s not a scam. If it’s not a large purchase (I’m sure this one is or you wouldn’t be going to such lengths to find a way to make it work) I have paid via PayPal ahead of time for the seller to leave an item on their porch for pick up if our schedules didn’t mesh. I have never had an issue. Also, as a seller, for smaller items ($50 and under) I leave them on my front porch and just ask the buyer to leave cash under the mat. Again, never an issue.

If it’s that good of a deal and there is enough money to be saved, make the drive to buy it. Other than that, have a trusted friend in the area make the transaction on your behalf.

PayPal business could potentially work, but unless you are saving thousands by buying this specific item, I don’t think it’s worth the risk.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ zactly. I've bought tons of stuff for under $200 (after talking to the guy) and will do the transaction via paypal. Have never been burned, and if I ever do, under $200 isn't the end of the world, and you do have recourse with PP. I usually make the drive and pick it up or if I have a buddy quasi nearby I'll have him pick it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

 


I don’t buy what I can’t see first, no way to be sure it’s not a scam. If it’s not a large purchase (I’m sure this one is or you wouldn’t be going to such lengths to find a way to make it work) I have paid via PayPal ahead of time for the seller to leave an item on their porch for pick up if our schedules didn’t mesh. I have never had an issue. Also, as a seller, for smaller items ($50 and under) I leave them on my front porch and just ask the buyer to leave cash under the mat. Again, never an issue.

If it’s that good of a deal and there is enough money to be saved, make the drive to buy it. Other than that, have a trusted friend in the area make the transaction on your behalf.

PayPal business could potentially work, but unless you are saving thousands by buying this specific item, I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

 

Thousands no, Hundreds maybe if the item is as pictured, No one I trust to inspect this item living in PORTLANDIA well my niece lives close but she couldn't buy a light bulb without a hiccup soo... Thanks for the advice though CHEERS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

then don't buy it

It's a part for a friend of mine who is restoring an old TRIUMPH so ya gotta try and get this stuff when it comes up cause its getting kind of RARE The Bike is a 1956.

Edited by 00boob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 00boob said:

It's a part for a friend of mine who is restoring an old TRIUMPH so ya gotta try and get this stuff when it comes up cause its getting kind of RARE The Bike is a 1956.

then paypal and pay for shipping. note that shipping fees are ridiculous but typically far less that round trip fuel costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

then paypal and pay for shipping. note that shipping fees are ridiculous but typically far less that round trip fuel costs.

I know that I can pay him via PayPal, the issue is I need someone to verify the EXISTENCE and  condition of the item before payment.  I don't want to get scammed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 00boob said:

I know that I can pay him via PayPal, the issue is I need someone to verify the EXISTENCE and  condition of the item before payment.  I don't want to get scammed.

Have him make an eBay ad with a buy it now price. Have it fully photographed and a written description you can agree to. Both eBay and PayPal will refund your purchase if something is shipped that doesn't reflect what the seller originally described.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shrubitup said:

Have him make an eBay ad with a buy it now price. Have it fully photographed and a written description you can agree to. Both eBay and PayPal will refund your purchase if something is shipped that doesn't reflect what the seller originally described.

Yeah I think I'm going to ask if he is willing to do that. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...