gullywasher

Toasted clutch on my 2015 300RR - replacement options?

So long story short, I clipped a big rock that pretzeled my rear brake lever and - unrealized at the time - punched a small hole in my clutch cover.  All of the oil leaked out during the rest of the ride, and I baked my clutch.

I am going to replace the friction and drive plates and am curious what clutch options you guys have tried.  This is actually the first time I've used up a clutch on any motorcycle, so I really don't know how the OEM, premium aftermarket, and cheaper after market options compare to one another. A complete set from Barnett, one of the few names I am familiar with, is about $190 bucks.  On the lower end, there is a Sumo - never heard of them - kit for less than $70.  Not sure what the OEM price is yet.

So do you guys have any experience, good or bad, with different brands of clutches?  What kind of benefits does a pricey clutch kit offer over a cheap one?

• Like 1

On my cr250, I went with a rekluse billet clutch basket, all new  steel clutch plates and OEM fiber discs. Reused inner hub and springs and throw out bearing and push rod. Still, those 3 new parts was over $500. If I were to buy again, I'd buy the cheaper cost fiber and steel plates, but I'd spend again on the rekluse clutch basket. The hard coated clutch basket and new cushions restored my clutch actuation back to a high level of refinement I'd lost over the yrs of use and abuse.

I'd give you my 0 mile OEM frictions and steels, but 2018 is different than your year I believe. I have three sets of 2018 frictions and steels that were replaced with rekluse innards. 

Barnett has treated me well in years past. Not sure I would cheap out on unknown brands. 

• Like 1

SO anyone know if the frictions will work from 2018+ in the OP's bike? I am pretty sure the steels changed with the clutch changes for 2018 and up, but what about the friction discs? I have 3 full sets from bikes with near zero hours on them. replaced all with Rekluse. No use to me, if they fit he can have them.