Cami Kaye

Oil in the carb

Hi guys I have a problem, I got oil in my carb and fuel in my oil, I have no ideas what's going on, I just cleaned out the carb and re assembled the bike, it started and I was abit to ride it 5 meters and it would cut out and I would have to wait abit and try star it again, this would happen repeatedly until obviously I stop riding the bike. It's a 2006 crf 250x. Another thing, do they have overheating problems? 

Thanks for your time and input guys! 

Overfilled with opil. or you dropped the bike and oil got out. That engine crankcase breater ventelates into the airboot. So oil coming out of the breather goes through the carb and is burned by the engine.

The over heat if you ride slow, they are a race bike and must have airflow to keep cool, typical minimum speed is about 15 mph.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, William1 said:

The over heat if you ride slow, they are a race bike and must have airflow to keep cool, typical minimum speed is about 15 mph.

I’m completely new to the CRF250X but all the reading I’ve done I haven’t seen anyone refer to this as a race bike?  Isn’t that the CRF250R?  Most things I’ve read say that the 250X is pretty much strictly a trail bike.  I’d think riding slow on a 250X would be fine as long as it’s not 90+ degrees out and you’re doing lots of technical stuff for a long time or something?

5 hours ago, Micah D said:

I’m completely new to the CRF250X but all the reading I’ve done I haven’t seen anyone refer to this as a race bike?  Isn’t that the CRF250R?  Most things I’ve read say that the 250X is pretty much strictly a trail bike.  I’d think riding slow on a 250X would be fine as long as it’s not 90+ degrees out and you’re doing lots of technical stuff for a long time or something?

The R is a race MX bike, the X is a race woods/enduro bike. Just like the Yamaha YZ250F is a MX bike, the WR250F is a woods/enduro race bike. Bascially the same machines, setup slightly differently.

3 hours ago, William1 said:

The R is a race MX bike, the X is a race woods/enduro bike. 

Huh.  Well, you’re the only person I’ve seen attach the word “race” to the X is all.  I’ve seen many reviews discuss how it’s a great starter bike, a great trail bike, a great woods bike but I haven’t seen any suggestion that it’s a race bike. 

12 minutes ago, Micah D said:

Huh.  Well, you’re the only person I’ve seen attach the word “race” to the X is all.  I’ve seen many reviews discuss how it’s a great starter bike, a great trail bike, a great woods bike but I haven’t seen any suggestion that it’s a race bike. 

The X (especially the 250) really falls right in between a couple categories and can be made to be either more of a trail bike or more of an enduro type race bike. By reading through alot of the topics on this forum from the last few years you find more older guys who are advocating that setting the bike up by further detuning it makes it much more suitable for them, especially for slow speed trail riding they like. While if you were to have read through the this same forum when the bike was still being produced a few years after it was introduced, there was far more interest in getting it to perform at a higher level suitable for certain types of racing. Honda even came out with technical bulletin explaining where to start and how to do that. The engine would then deliver more HP and torque making it more suitable for competition.

So this is something that the X has both had working for it and working against it, depending on how you look at it. Since it no longer is being produced kind of proves it wasnt a viable choice in their new bike line up based on sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Micah D said:

The big differences between a woods race bike and a MX bike is the woods bikes have wider ratio trans due to some running at 70 mph in open sections and smaller diameter rear rims and fatter tires (to better absorb rock impacts VS lighter weight of a 19.) Many woods bikes have lights (as events can run into dusk) and eStarts (stalls in precarious places). Also, MX bikes tend to be a little more state of the art, mostly due to homogenization rules.

Compare the specs to the CRF250R. Almost all parts are interchangeable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, William1 said:

The big differences between a woods race bike and a MX bike is the woods bikes have wider ratio trans due to some running at 70 mph in open sections and smaller diameter rear rims and fatter tires (to better absorb rock impacts VS lighter weight of a 19.) Many woods bikes have lights (as events can run into dusk) and eStarts (stalls in precarious places). Also, MX bikes tend to be a little more state of the art, mostly due to homogenization rules.

Compare the specs to the CRF250F. Almost all parts are interchangeable.

CRF250R, oops!

CRF 250F is the trail bike replacing the 250X in the lineup now, which I know you are well aware of! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TDW said:

CRF250R, oops!

CRF 250F is the trail bike replacing the 250X in the lineup now, which I know you are well aware of! 

Yup, a typo. I'll fix it in my original post. Thanks for keeping me on my toes! :)

I'd not be surprised that the X went away BECAUSE is is a race bike and most owners just want a trail bike. My trail bike is a Yamaha WR250F and honestly, a WR250R would of made more sense to me. I never run my bike like it was intended and I find the race bike trans gearing (even as a woods bike) too low for the type of riding I do. Add to that, comfort and....

• Like 2