Jrome

Yz250x front forks

Just bought a 16 250x and noticed on the front fork there was a plastic ring with a wire wrapped around it and another wire underneath in the grooves on the bottom of the fork just above the seal. It was broke on one side so i tried looking it up to buy a replacement. I cant find it or figure out the wording to even look it up. Can anyone tell me what this part is or even what it is for? I took it off the one side and it literaly does nothing that i can see but hold some dirt in. Here is a picture of it. I looked up every year bike and none of them have it on the forks. Thank you for any advice

20190911_175032.jpg

20190911_175036.jpg

I don't see it in the parts diagram, the snap ring yes, but the plastic ring does not show up. Strange. 

But yes, they are there to protect the upper fork tube.

4 minutes ago, 2SYZDOC said:

I don't see it in the parts diagram, the snap ring yes, but the plastic ring does not show up. Strange. 

But yes, they are there to protect the upper fork tube.

My earlier gen 250f's had them but my 18 x doesn't. 

39 minutes ago, indy rider said:

It's there to protect the fork tube from damage from the plastic fork guard sliding up and down on it...and it's not broken, it's that way so you can get it on and off

I showed pic of good side. The other side was broken where the fork is bare. Any idea where to get another one?

1 hour ago, indy rider said:

Look like the ones on a 09 yz250f

These protector rings changed design at least once before,

Early KYB AOS 'SSS' forks had wider plastic bands, then went narrower in '09-'10 or so.

My 2010 YZ125 has the narrow bands and, their locating notch machined in the upper fork tube is a

more pronounced square edged 'channel' which doesn't look at all like the 2nd pic to OP posted.

As per SoCalMX70's pic, I'm surprised KYB would do away altogether with wear strips on late model forks.

Either a drastic cost cutting measure or, maybe added a 'circlip' type wear ring similar to Showa TC forks? 

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, mlatour said:

These protector rings changed design at least once before,

Early KYB AOS 'SSS' forks had wider plastic bands, then went narrower in '09-'10 or so.

My 2010 YZ125 has the narrow bands and, their locating notch on the fork tube is a

more pronounced square edged 'channel' which doesn't look at all like the 2nd pic to OP posted.

As per SoCalMX70's pic, I'm surprised KYB did away altogether on these wear strips?

Either a cost cutting measure or, added a 'circlip' type wear surface similar to Showa TC forks? 

Looks like someone found somewhere to get or maybe modified a older model style protector to fit the newer fork leg.

I'm not home but here's the best pic I have with me of my '18 X fork.

20171231_005326067_iOS.jpg.cbda5cc8c20dee99fbb9d6dfe9f73813.jpg

3 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Looks like someone found somewhere to get or maybe modified a older model style protector to fit the newer fork leg.

I'm not home but here's the best pic I have with me of my '18 X fork.

20171231_005326067_iOS.jpg.cbda5cc8c20dee99fbb9d6dfe9f73813.jpg

Seems to be a perfect fit. There is a cir clip on the very bottom if u look close and the same one sandwiched between the plastic piece. I keep finding more and more little mods to this bike.

It appears that the fork guard is also redesigned to be further away from the fork, so maybe it is not needed and that is an aftermarket part. 

'06 and '07 had white plastic "protector guide" with snap ring IN it.

'08-'14 had black plastic "protector guide" with snap ring IN it.

'15-current did NOT have the plastic "protector guide". Only a snap ring on the bottom of the outer fork tube.

Odd that one of yours has both a protector guide and snap ring on the tube and the other fork has neither.

I would at least run the snap ring on the tube both sides or the aluminum will wear.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Kinger317 said:

'06 and '07 had white plastic "protector guide" with snap ring IN it.

'08-'14 had black plastic "protector guide" with snap ring IN it.

'15-current did NOT have the plastic "protector guide". Only a snap ring on the bottom of the outer fork tube.

Odd that one of yours has both a protector guide and snap ring on the tube and the other fork has neither.

I would at least run the snap ring on the tube both sides or the aluminum will wear.

I pulled the one side off because it was damaged. I did get to the bottom of the mystery. Im 3rd owner of bike and messaged the original owner and he put tons of money in the bike. Upon selling he pulled most of the goodies off including full suspension upgrade but while doing he replaced all the stock parts with new and the new fork rebuild kit came with that outer gaurd to keep the fork gaurds from hitting and wearing out the finish. So i guess thats it. Them pieces come in a fork rebuild kit. Kind of bumbed i didnt get the factory connection upgrade but at least i dont have to rebuild anything because he said it was all new. This bike switched hands within 1 week. Second owner didnt like the bike

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, Jrome said:

I cant find it or figure out the wording to even look it up. Can anyone tell me what this part is or even what it is for?

Just put a 10c fat plastic zip-tie on the groove done up tight with the clicker join facing aft and forget about it.

Don't run any bike without em or the fork protector scratches the upper fork tube.

Just put a 10c fat plastic zip-tie on the groove done up tight with the clicker join facing aft and forget about it.
Don't run any bike without em or the fork protector scratches the upper fork tube.
They don't scratch anything on late model YZs. Not even close.

1 hour ago, SoCalMX70 said:
8 hours ago, numroe said:

They don't scratch anything on late model YZs. Not even close.

Maybe you never had an issue. Lucky you. Friction rubbing depends on what you do with your bike and in what conditions.  Mine often get pushed in.  Even when they don't appear to be touching they can quickly flex in and touch. In muddy conditions lots of grit sits in the groove where the rub-ring is designed to go. When I have the zip-tie installed, they get wear marks and inside the guards get worn too. So KYB and Showa added the mounting groove and rubbing ring part for a reason.

I too run the thick zip ties right above the snap ring. That snap ring wears out pretty quickly and zip ties are cheap and I have a lot of them lying around. But I’ve also never noticed any upper tube wear as long as the snap ring still has decent life left. You can rotate the ring to get more life out of it too.

• Like 1