hrpufinstuff

Power valve cover oil leaks?

I've got a 2020 Husky TE 300i and it seems like many others with the same bike are having seal issues, specifically at the right side power valve cover, exhaust flange, and the rubber D-shaped gasket between the powervalve cover (right) and the bottom end where the pv actuator rod comes through.  I imagine the 2020 300xcw TPI's are the same.  Are you guys seeing this?  Anyone have a fix?  

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

New gaskets plus a tiny bit RTV sealant.

Apparently it's more involved than that.  I'm on my 4th iteration of re-sealing various holes, gaskets, bolts, exhaust flange, etc.  I wonder if when people get to 50-60 hours this will start cropping up on the 2020's.  

Edited by hrpufinstuff

Mine isn't real bad. Yeah, it needs cleaning in that area after a ride, but it's not drastic.

I recently have tried doubling up on the gasket. Using the OEM gasket as a pattern, I made another out of a little thicker gasket material.

Taking a closer look at my cover, with only the 3 bolts holding it on, those points were sealing well but the edges of the cover between the bolts didn't look like they pull down against the case as tight. My thinking is, installing a 2nd gasket and/or one that adds a little more "crush" will help those areas between the bolts seal better.

Don't seem to be having a problem with the rubber seal but I keep an eye on it.

Haven't ridden with the doubled up gaskets yet, but soon.

My 2020 has a sweat in that area, but it seems to be coming from that PV adjusting bolt they added for the 2020 model. 

Don’t know what it is with KTM but I owned one many year ago & that leaked oil from every seal you could think of & now after returning to the brand they still haven got there shit together regarding oil seals  ?

1 hour ago, Bear777 said:

Don’t know what it is with KTM but I owned one many year ago & that leaked oil from every seal you could think of & now after returning to the brand they still haven got there shit together regarding oil seals  ?

they haven't run out of shitty seals or extra hard seat foam apparently.  

5 hours ago, hrpufinstuff said:

Apparently it's more involved than that.  I'm on my 4th iteration of re-sealing various holes, gaskets, bolts, exhaust flange, etc.  I wonder if when people get to 50-60 hours this will start cropping up on the 2020's.  

I had a few KTM's and never had one of the covers leaking, so I can't really say what's going on. I serviced afew other Kato's and only had one 250 at 200 hours leaking. I installed new gaskets and put sealant on the d-shaped rubber seal and it was tight when I tested it the next day...

4 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Mine isn't real bad. Yeah, it needs cleaning in that area after a ride, but it's not drastic.

I recently have tried doubling up on the gasket. Using the OEM gasket as a pattern, I made another out of a little thicker gasket material.

Taking a closer look at my cover, with only the 3 bolts holding it on, those points were sealing well but the edges of the cover between the bolts didn't look like they pull down against the case as tight. My thinking is, installing a 2nd gasket and/or one that adds a little more "crush" will help those areas between the bolts seal better.

Don't seem to be having a problem with the rubber seal but I keep an eye on it.

Haven't ridden with the doubled up gaskets yet, but soon.

A tiny bit of silicone engine sealant applied to both sides of the gasket will cure that.

Mine had issues and now my riding buddy who just bought a '20 XCW (after he rode my bike :) ) has the same leak. 

Mine had issues and now my riding buddy who just bought a '20 XCW (after he rode my bike  ) has the same leak. 

Well he rode mine too
.......and he didn’t buy a Husky.

I hope your bike is solid now.
What was the deal w the coolant leak?

22 minutes ago, Poodlelover151 said:

Well he rode mine too emoji6.png
.......and he didn’t buy a Husky.

I hope your bike is solid now.
What was the deal w the coolant leak?

Pfffff but yours is a ‘19. A bike of the past...... when are you going to upgrade? Lol

I repositioned a hose clamp and tightened it up. I rode it for about 30 minutes in the backyard and it didn’t leak. I guess I’ll find out the next time I go ride. 

I replaced my right side PV cover seals with 2019 seals.  The 19's are substantially thicker and fit tighter.  I also posted a video of the two different seals in the husky 2t (300i leak thread).  testing today with fingers crossed!  

On 9/14/2019 at 7:44 AM, hrpufinstuff said:

I replaced my right side PV cover seals with 2019 seals.  The 19's are substantially thicker and fit tighter.  I also posted a video of the two different seals in the husky 2t (300i leak thread).  testing today with fingers crossed!  

The 2019 parts finally fixed it.  Zero leak this weekend!

• Like 2

@hrpufinstuff

My 2020 started leaking recently at about 12 hours.  Are these the part numbers you used?

SEALING CARRIER 07Part #131307001627Mfg. #54837091100 Quantity 1
SEALING ELEMENT BOTTOMPart #131307001420Mfg. #54637107000  Quantity 2

You said you made a video.  Do you have a link?

Thanks!

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

Thanks where can I find this video link at? My 19’ 300 has been fixed once already and now w 37hrs it’s leaking again. Previous owner had dealer fix it... sealant didn’t hold 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

IMG_5177.thumb.jpeg.b0a65904cc4e0c32ba5b28a95d9ef331.jpeg

crazy that the 19' gaskets is the fix?????? mine is a 2019' ktm 300xc and i have 37 hrs now and bought the bike used from dealer at 14 hrs. 

After further tearing it apart there was already clear silicone sealant where the exhaust flange meets the case?? and at the bottom by the d shaped gasket. I cleaned it up, put yamabond on power valve side then gasket, and then on top of gasket to mate with cover. I didn't put any on the d shaped lower gasket wondering if i should have now. 

if you look at my pictures my leak seems more it coming from that set screw stop bolt.  Does this mean my exhaust flange is leaking? 

Does anyone have a video or is it hard to take the flange off and reseal it? thanks guys

IMG_5175.jpeg

The oil had gotten everywhere and it was very hard to tell where it was leaking from.  I wanted to pinpoint exactly where it was leaking before I did anything.   I cleaned my bike up spotless, which wasn't easy since the oil leak made quite a mess and there are so many nooks and crannies in that area.   I took it for a short ride on pavement and then confirmed it's leaking where the rod exits the case and enters the cylinder's power valve casting.

What's odd is there is quite a gap here.   I would think that the rubber seal would extend into that gap but it doesn't appear on my bike.  That gap is a good 1/8" deep.  There does appear to be a rubber seal inside but it doesn't seem right to me that nothing is filling the gap.  So maybe the seal slipped out of place or something.

@PNW Enduro @69fastback or anyone one else with a 2020, can you confirm if the seal fills this gap on your bike flush with the casting or can you put your finger nail into this gap?

pv.jpg.af203b212074586fd15f77ff110d18b1.jpg

I'm going to pull it all apart but I ordered a gasket and the 2019 seal parts from Rocky Mountain and am still waiting for them.  I'll post up some more pictures to try to help the next guy.  Now I just have to decide if I'm going to put it back together with the new gasket and 2019 seal parts with or without RTV sealer.   I think I'm going to try it without any sealant the first time.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

On 10/13/2019 at 10:45 AM, jgwakeup said:

IMG_5177.thumb.jpeg.b0a65904cc4e0c32ba5b28a95d9ef331.jpeg

crazy that the 19' gaskets is the fix?????? mine is a 2019' ktm 300xc and i have 37 hrs now and bought the bike used from dealer at 14 hrs. 

After further tearing it apart there was already clear silicone sealant where the exhaust flange meets the case?? and at the bottom by the d shaped gasket. I cleaned it up, put yamabond on power valve side then gasket, and then on top of gasket to mate with cover. I didn't put any on the d shaped lower gasket wondering if i should have now. 

if you look at my pictures my leak seems more it coming from that set screw stop bolt.  Does this mean my exhaust flange is leaking? 

Does anyone have a video or is it hard to take the flange off and reseal it? thanks guys

IMG_5175.jpeg

Mine looked like that too but it was actually leaking where the rubber seal is used to seal around the powervalve rod.  See my picture above.  If you aren't sure, clean the hell out of it, take it for a 5 minute ride on pavement or in some non-dusty condition, immediately stop and use a flash light to locate the source.

Doc

• Like 1