2019 KTM 500exc-f exhaust mod question

Hey guy’s, new to the forum here. I had a 2019 Yamaha MT-09, traded for a 2019 KTM 500 exc to get into the enduro/supermoto world. I’m very happy with the bike, but more is always better! I punched out the exhaust end cap, and went with a piggyback fuel tuner to address the lean fuel issues. I saw that some guys with older 530’s were cutting the internal pipe off the end-cap, spark arrestor I’m assuming? I’m not worried about forestry legal mumbo jumbo, mostly ridden in supermoto form on the street with the occasional trail riding on private land. Has anyone else done this? Does it make it more like the 450sx end cap by doing so? Or was that just a thing for the older ktm models? Also, does anyone have the recommended tuner settings from JD? A picture of the programming paper for 2019 ktm 500 would be a huge help! Thanks guys 

5E151D7D-7677-4078-A534-B605F2089541.jpeg

2 hours ago, AntmanAce said:

Hey guy’s, new to the forum here. I had a 2019 Yamaha MT-09, traded for a 2019 KTM 500 exc to get into the enduro/supermoto world. I’m very happy with the bike, but more is always better! I punched out the exhaust end cap, and went with a piggyback fuel tuner to address the lean fuel issues. I saw that some guys with older 530’s were cutting the internal pipe off the end-cap, spark arrestor I’m assuming? I’m not worried about forestry legal mumbo jumbo, mostly ridden in supermoto form on the street with the occasional trail riding on private land. Has anyone else done this? Does it make it more like the 450sx end cap by doing so? Or was that just a thing for the older ktm models? Also, does anyone have the recommended tuner settings from JD? A picture of the programming paper for 2019 ktm 500 would be a huge help! Thanks guys 

5E151D7D-7677-4078-A534-B605F2089541.jpeg

The KTMandHusky.com guy has a pretty good endcap.   Although, mine failed after 500 hours.   I would give that one a try as it looks like he has made it better....I had one of the first production or prototype units.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, twp8357 said:

The KTMandHusky.com guy has a pretty good endcap.   Although, mine failed after 500 hours.   I would give that one a try as it looks like he has made it better....I had one of the first production or prototype units.   

Nah, I would never buy from him. While his cap may work better than stock, it’s ridiculously ugly and he’s got too many other snake oil products. It makes me question his integrity.

Stick with the Pro Moto billet one if you’re going to replace the cap. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Thanks twp, but i was hoping to do more “free mods” like removing the end cap screen, intake reed removal, etc. I’ll probably spend $ on the fmf before i spend $ on the end cap from ktmandhusky.com. Good to know that it was good quality tho! What about the “big bottom kit”? The intake tube and exhaust flange? It seems similar to a port and polish job. Anyone get the tube or the flange? Or both? Any thoughts?

Just now, AntmanAce said:

Thanks twp, but i was hoping to do more “free mods” like removing the end cap screen, intake reed removal, etc. I’ll probably spend $ on the fmf before i spend $ on the end cap from ktmandhusky.com. Good to know that it was good quality tho! What about the “big bottom kit”? The intake tube and exhaust flange? It seems similar to a port and polish job. Anyone get the tube or the flange? Or both? Any thoughts?

I have been running one of his prototype pipes that came with the Big Bottom exhaust flange on my 15 500 XCW.   Sadly he never mass produced that pipe because it was a work of art.  Imagine a pipe that has zero indentations and still fits in the shock to frame area.   Also, it has an expansion chamber like the SXF bikes have and its hidden down by the lower shock base....makes the pipe more quiet!

I have both the flange and intake tube sitting on the bench waiting for my 2020 500 Six Days to arrive.   Dave is the inventor of the Power Now and PN+ which I always ran on my bigger than stock carbs on RFS and my 09 530 bikes.  I won't expect big gains from those items but the end cap was a big gain and unless your going to get the Mega Bomb, it would be a good use of your $.     Also, keep in mind that if you do buy a new pipe, you should consider having it coated on the inside with a Ceramic coating.   I got several pipes from Dave with that feature and it really helps the bike run cooler.  

2 minutes ago, twp8357 said:

I have been running one of his prototype pipes that came with the Big Bottom exhaust flange on my 15 500 XCW.   Sadly he never mass produced that pipe because it was a work of art.  Imagine a pipe that has zero indentations and still fits in the shock to frame area.   Also, it has an expansion chamber like the SXF bikes have and its hidden down by the lower shock base....makes the pipe more quiet!

I have both the flange and intake tube sitting on the bench waiting for my 2020 500 Six Days to arrive.   Dave is the inventor of the Power Now and PN+ which I always ran on my bigger than stock carbs on RFS and my 09 530 bikes.  I won't expect big gains from those items but the end cap was a big gain and unless your going to get the Mega Bomb, it would be a good use of your $.     Also, keep in mind that if you do buy a new pipe, you should consider having it coated on the inside with a Ceramic coating.   I got several pipes from Dave with that feature and it really helps the bike run cooler.  

Where would someone get the ceramic coating done? What’s your plan for fueling after you do the flange and tube on the 2020?

Just now, AntmanAce said:

Where would someone get the ceramic coating done? What’s your plan for fueling after you do the flange and tube on the 2020?

I would probably contact Dave of KTMandHusky.com fame  via email and get a contact for this.  You want a shop that does it often.   I am probably going to put in the GET ECU because I like the fact they are going to use the LAMBDA sensor and GET has history using such sensors.   I have a Vortex that I love on my 13 350 XCF-W.    Both Jeff Slavens and my recent connection to TacoMoto.co (Mike Spurgin) suggest the GET will use that sensor.   Find this group on Facebook see below

image.png.2d681454ed8ab670f252cc7bb90b1a53.png

41 minutes ago, AntmanAce said:

If you’re trying to keep costs down, stay away from the intake tube and exhaust flange. They are solutions looking for problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hertz said:

If you’re trying to keep costs down, stay away from the intake tube and exhaust flange. They are solutions looking for problems.

I was thinking the same thing. I can’t see those gaining enough power to warrant the possible future problems. 

What about the piggyback tuners? Comparing JD powersurge, to ejk dobek, to ktmandhusky. Essentially all the same products, maybe different settings? Anyone have opinions on that? Or maybe even pictures of the suggested settings? Curious to see if there’s any difference.

29 minutes ago, AntmanAce said:

What about the piggyback tuners? Comparing JD powersurge, to ejk dobek, to ktmandhusky. Essentially all the same products, maybe different settings? Anyone have opinions on that? Or maybe even pictures of the suggested settings? Curious to see if there’s any difference.

They are essentially the same thing. There may be slight differences between brands with regard to the programming you don’t see and how the programmer works internally. I’ve never confirmed this though. They are the same base hardware and the way it works and the way you set it are the same. There could just be some small tweaks each company rebranding it are able to do, again, not confirmed.

Bottom line: you won’t notice a single performance difference between any of the dobeck based piggyback tubers. Get whatever one you feel like. 

16 minutes ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Exhaust and intake tubes are very poor excuses for that ktm/husky guys misconception of what the bike needs. He was also selling fuel rails thinking that would make them not run lean. I would not buy his bogus nonsense products. 

I noticed that Blais, slavens, ktmtwins, etc. don’t sell the flange or intake tube, so if it worked, there would be more people selling similar products. Curious to see how twp makes out with the 2020 500. Let us know your thoughts. Obviously the Athena Get will be fantastic, especially with removing the intake reeds. But be honest about the intake tube. It’s easy enough to install/remove, maybe make a few runs with it and without it and see if there’s actually a difference TWP8357. When are you expecting the bike to be there?

2 minutes ago, Hertz said:

They are essentially the same thing. There may be slight differences between brands with regard to the programming you don’t see and how the programmer works internally. I’ve never confirmed this though. They are the same base hardware and the way it works and the way you set it are the same. There could just be some small tweaks each company rebranding it are able to do, again, not confirmed.

Bottom line: you won’t notice a single performance difference between any of the dobeck based piggyback tubers. Get whatever one you feel like. 

That’s what I figured. What about the removal of the end cap screens, I punched mine out, easy to do. But wondering about cutting the inside pipe connected to the end cap, i think it’s a spark arrestor. Would that gain some sound/power? negatively impact performance? Or do nothing at all?

49 minutes ago, AntmanAce said:

That’s what I figured. What about the removal of the end cap screens, I punched mine out, easy to do. But wondering about cutting the inside pipe connected to the end cap, i think it’s a spark arrestor. Would that gain some sound/power? negatively impact performance? Or do nothing at all?

That is the spark arrestor, but the Cone it the main pressure limiter, removing that you'll gain substantial NOISE  , you may notice less back pressure when sustaining half to full throttle.

54 minutes ago, AntmanAce said:

Not sure. I’m sure it will change the sound, most likely make it louder if that’s what you’re after.

As far as performance, here’s my experience. I have a stock exhaust with the screens removed and an Akrapovic slip on. There is absolutely zero noticeable difference between the two other than sound. I had the Akra on for a while riding the bike in Supermoto trim but when I take it off road I put the stock back on. I need a spark arrestor and I value my riding areas so I like it quieter. I don’t really have any plans to put the akra back on. 

20 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

That is the spark arrestor, but the Cone it the main pressure limiter, removing that you'll gain substantial NOISE  , you may notice less back pressure when sustaining half to full throttle.

Not looking for noise, but maybe more sound? In other words, not whistling raspy cheap sounding noise, but more throaty grunt would be nice. If that won’t happen, or if it could cause power loss and or possible damage, I’ll just wait for xmas and get myself an fmf lol. I haven’t heard about other riders doing this, so I think it’s a sign to not do it, but maybe people are doing it and it’s not talked about. As far as i know, the pro moto or similar end caps, without the spark arrestor, are just open ends. So by removing the end cap and spark arrestor/cone pressure limiter on the stock pipe, would equate to the pro moto end caps? Am i wrong? Is there another method pro moto uses to limit back pressure? In this pic it looks open, maybe the ktm version is different? 

C08D208D-71EA-49A5-8614-50807F169BFF.jpeg

I’m not trying to sound cheap, but it seems like we can achieve the same effect as the aftermarket end caps, by simply punching out the end cap screen and cutting off the spark arrestor of our factory pipes. Could be a nice solution for those of us who mostly ride supermoto street and want a cheap power bump. I understand the noise and spark arrestor importance for forestry and keeping the riding community from being hated by others. I’m just brainstorming here, i might even try it if nobody thinks damage could be done to the engine. 

don't waste time with add-ons get the fmf Q4 Stealth Ive been running that muffler for years on different bikes and they work ! its called the Hex has built in USFS

Edited by Airboss/oc