Any way to determine what year XR250 forks I have?

I have XR250 forks (disc brake) on my 1990 XR200, I didn't do the swap, the previous owner did. I want to drain, flush and refill them, but I realized that I don't know what year to look at for an oil level when I fill them... 

Is there any way to determine what year 250 forks are on the bike so I can find the spec?

I have no idea if the oil level in them is even correct, or I'd just capture the old oil and measure it. 

1 minute ago, Chuck. said:

3 versions of 84+ XR250R forks;
the 84-85 had 38mm stanchion tubes
the 86+ had 41mm tubes, and
the 96-04 had an early version of cartridge forks and will have clicker adjusters.

They are all KYB while the XR400/600s used Showa forks.

Thanks Chuck, I figured you might be the one to answer this. I almost sent you a message to ask, but I figured it might be good to have the info in the public domain in case someone else needs the info down the road. 

7 hours ago, RK-REX said:

Thanks Chuck, I figured you might be the one to answer this. I almost sent you a message to ask, but I figured it might be good to have the info in the public domain in case someone else needs the info down the road. 

Clarification (not that chuck doesn’t know this) the 96+ are also 41mm and there are compression clickers at the bottom only. 

400 forks are 43mm and have dual clickers.

6 hours ago, RK-REX said:

More info is always helpful. ?

Turns out my forks are of the 84-85 vintage. Maybe someday I will swap them for a more modern set, at least one that can be tuned. 

you can always add racetech emulators to these forks and have "cartridge fork" performance. FEGV 3801 fits 38mm damping rod forks. 

• Helpful 2

6 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

That's funny, I just read that very same document after your earlier post about the emulators. Pretty interesting and fairly inexpensive too. 

I might give Bruce Triplett (sp) a call and see what he thinks as well.

To be honest, my 14 year old will probably be ready for a bigger bike in a year or so and the 200 will be my ride again, I may just find him a 250 or let him ride my 400 and I'll mod the 200 a la Chuck. I really do love that little mountain goat of a bike. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RK-REX said:

That's funny, I just read that very same document after your earlier post about the emulators. Pretty interesting and fairly inexpensive too. 

I might give Bruce Triplett (sp) a call and see what he thinks as well.

To be honest, my 14 year old will probably be ready for a bigger bike in a year or so and the 200 will be my ride again, I may just find him a 250 or let him ride my 400 and I'll mod the 200 a la Chuck. I really do love that little mountain goat of a bike. 

We put a set of emulators in a TTR230 for my daughter, made a huge difference in tracking and lost all deflection that the bike had. They work, and can be found for about $135 online. The install is quite easy. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1