Ricky ruined the Sport

10 minutes ago, yz250f 78 said:

With the pull he supposedly has being the goat and all he definitely hasn't made the sport better or safer for the racer. Profits off the racer and fans.  

You mean like teaching riders how to race and ride safely with his training facility? How to ride safely is top priority as his training camps.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

You mean like teaching riders how to race and ride safely with his training facility? How to ride safely is top priority as his training camps.

No I’m talking about him feeding off the sport!  Primarily supercross.  How the racer is used to make a big profit. 

I think the more appropriate word is "changed". Training became real and essential to win when Ricky came along. He made the sport harder and more competitive. He probably took the fun out of it for a lot of guys. With that said, I personally think "ruined" is a pretty awful word choice. Riding dirtbikes is awesome and always will be, and claiming the GOAT "ruined" the sport is just absurd in my opinion. 

I'm only 23 and never saw any of the "glory days" everyone talks about, but they sure do look fun. That said, I still love watching the sport and going out and riding my dirtbike, as does just about everyone else. Until that's false, the sport cannot be ruined. That's my opinion.

• Like 5

Being the guy who ushered in the era of Aldon Baker's hypodermic training program, yeah, you could say he ruined it.  The racing was better before you had to skirt around the edge of the list of banned substances and train like you were going on a mission to Mars to compete.

• Like 2

Aldon got them on some sort of hippy gluten free vegan diet or something which caught up with those guys longterm, ricky knew the key to success was big mac sause on his double doubles...

Ricky know the body needs them saturated fats to sustain longterm but when his training stopped the gut commenced big time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Creature said:

Aldon got them on some sort of hippy gluten free vegan diet or something which caught up with those guys longterm, ricky knew the key to success was big mac sause on his double doubles...

Ricky know the body needs them saturated fats to sustain longterm but when his training stopped the gut commenced big time

Seems the training in Colorado might just be the best this sport has ever seen. He makes aldons boys look week in the second motos.

• Like 3

I'm only 23 and never saw any of the "glory days" everyone talks about, but they sure do look fun. That said, I still love watching the sport and going out and riding my dirtbike, as does just about everyone else. Until that's false, the sport cannot be ruined. That's my opinion.

I'm 38 and started going to supercrosses in the mid 90's. People whined about it being ruined by McGrath's domination, the commercialization of the sport, etc. Point being, people will bitch no matter what.
  • Like 9
  • Helpful 1

16 minutes ago, adam728 said:

I'm 38 and started going to supercrosses in the mid 90's. People whined about it being ruined by McGrath's domination, the commercialization of the sport, etc. Point being, people will bitch no matter what.

it's what people do.....the only real detrimental thing to sx in the last 30 years is simply 4 stroke bikes....

• Like 7

The progression is interesting.  Guys like Joel Robert used to smoke on the gate.  Then guys like Roger D started clean living.  Hannah started exercising all week, then guys like Omara and Ward began cross training.  Each group starts earlier, ups the bar, and retires younger.  Perhaps in a decade they'll no longer use food to sustain themselves and retire at 18.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HSV-DirtRider said:

I remember when Jeff Stanton went full vegan. After that he struggled to finish a moto. He was a beast before that. 

Yup...I was a big fan until he hooked up with that hippie girlfriend and started eating lettuce instead of meat...turned him in to a wimp on the track ...he looked like he was starving! (as most Vegans do!)

• Like 3