2019 yz125 trail pipe

Hi all, first post here. I've seen this topic discussed a lot but I havent found a definitive answer due to everyone's personal preference (understandable). I'm currently running a turbine core 2.0 with boyesen rad valve, and JD jetting keihin 36mm carb on my 2019 yz125. I'm running the factory pipe with that setup. I'm just wondering the benefits of stock pipe vs fmf vs pc for trail riding.

Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, Daprodegy said:

Hi all, first post here. I've seen this topic discussed a lot but I havent found a definitive answer due to everyone's personal preference (understandable). I'm currently running a turbine core 2.0 with boyesen rad valve, and JD jetting keihin 36mm carb on my 2019 yz125. I'm running the factory pipe with that setup. I'm just wondering the benefits of stock pipe vs fmf vs pc for trail riding.

Thanks! 

I'm running the FMF on my 2020 YZ125x. It woke the mid range and top end up. Didn't change anything down low before coming on the pipe. If you're looking for more power in the lower RPMs I don't think any pipe made for the 125 is going to help. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response greenMT. That's what I figured? That was probably the best and most straight forward answer I've seen on this topic. There wasnt any loss in bottom end power with the fmf? Just a little wake up mid to high?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Daprodegy said:

Thanks for the quick response greenMT. That's what I figured? That was probably the best and most straight forward answer I've seen on this topic. There wasnt any loss in bottom end power with the fmf? Just a little wake up mid to high?

Definitely no loss down low. I thought it might be just a little stronger before coming on the pipe but not enough to be sure. It definitely woke my bike up in the upper room range.

If you're looking for more trail type power maybe try the 125X CDI when it becomes available. I'm also running the 36mm keihin on my bike too. What needle are you using? I'm running a KTM NOZK in mine. Tryed the JD blue but it felt a little flat before coming on the pipe.

I've been using the JD blue and it has a good feel down low, it could be due to the engine tuning differences of the 125 and 125x. I wasnt aware of a box swap possibility, any idea when that will be available?

An easy way to improve lower rpm power or at least make it run crisper 

is reducing the squish band height (cylinder head milled) to about 1.00mm of measured squish.

My 2010 YZ125 measured 1.37mm and I doubt late model bikes have even larger squish bands in an effort to lower compression.

(to run on lower quality / ethanol gasoline)

If you are experienced in carb and engine tuning and aware of the signs of detonation,

you can also experiment in advancing the ignition timing a bit but you'll also loose top end / overrev in return.

Same power trade-off with a shorty silencer (but annoyingly loud)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I have stock and PC pipes for my yz 125.  I ride exclusively woods these days.  The only difference I notice is the PC pipe offers a little more over rev.  I would just run the stocker until you smash it.