RT gold valve HELP!

Need help revalving forks. I have 2011 yz450f. I just got race tech gold valves. I do all my own work on my bike but this time I’m in over my head. I know I should have sent it in but here I am with a pile of parts and I’m willing to learn. Anyone with experience willing to help me learn? I have my DVS sheet but it’s gibberish to me.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong or looking in the wrong place but it seems like a very condensed version of instructions. Which makes sense since they expect a professional suspension person to do the work. I guess I just need some help filling in the blanks. My biggest question is what stack goes where and in what direction. I will have more specific questions this afternoon after work when I get started on it again.

Thanks!

On racetech gold valve box they say they have gone green or paperless, something like that. All the information and more then you would need to know is on the website.

After you have done this yourself, you will see it's really not that hard and you will be glad you learned this skill. I believe you have showa. I took 47mm showa apart for a 04 crf450 and it was simple.

Are you having trouble understanding the valve stacks as suggested or do you have another issue?

On racetech gold valve box they say they have gone green or paperless, something like that. All the information and more then you would need to know is on the website.

After you have done this yourself, you will see it's really not that hard and you will be glad you learned this skill. I believe you have showa. I took 47mm showa apart for a 04 crf450 and it was simple.

I definitely want to learn. They are kyb forks. I think once I figure it out I’ll be glad i learned too. Thanks.

Are you having trouble understanding the valve stacks as suggested or do you have another issue?

Yes. Im still learning what part is what on the suspension. Like which one is the low speed valve? Compression? Mid valve? Rebound? I can’t find a diagram that shows which is which. And then where do you start the stack? From the top or the bottom? I know this is stuff I should know already to tackle this project. But like I said I got on over my head and I’m ready to learn. Just need a few points in the right direction.

Thanks guys.

Racetech website will basically give you a step by step guide to taking these apart.

https://racetech.com/download/InstructPDF/IP FMGV 3420 3520w LSV.pdf

an example for my bike, was easy to find.. i agree though this stuff presents a learning curve.

Note from Racetech for my rear shock Gold Valve: 

"Note: The DVS Custom Setup Sheet displays individual shims and does not label Hi-Speed, Crossover, and Lo-Speed. This is for your information only. Also you will not use all the shims provided in the Gold Valve Kit." Sending people "extra" parts is asking for trouble, lol.

Edited by Doug Heinrichs

On 9/30/2019 at 7:03 PM, jhayward said:

Question. Do you build the stack as it lists in the DVS? Top of the list goes on the shaft first? Or do you build the stack from the bottom of the list goes on the shaft first?

They are listed from the surface of the valve. So, the shim thats on top of the list will be touching the gold valve in comp and rebound..

what did you buy? A base valve kit, mid valve kit, or both? Whats the p/n? 

The dvs will list all settings even if its not in your specific kit. 

Could you not find the instructions?

here

https://www.racetech.com/download/InstructPDF/IP FMGV 3420 3520w LSV.pdf

Edited by The Creature

If you look at the stock valving it will make sense. 

I really don't think the RT kit is a great choice.  You already have everything you need in the stock forks.  Stock pistons are very good and you can usually shuffle the stock shims around to tune as needed.  Those forks are very good stock, the bar is pretty high and you could do a lot worse by tossing the stock stuff and starting over.