Cross country road trip

I'm going to be moving from Hawaii back to the east coast in the next few weeks and taking my bike with me. Im currently looking into different options to ship it to California, throw it in the truck, and drive it to NY, hopefully stopping to ride a few places along the way. Ill update this thread as I go, and hopefully get some ideas from you guys on the best ways to go about it! 

Right now I'm getting shipping quotes and looking into partially disassembling the bike and shipping it in multiple pieces. My current quote for just shipping the bike is $900 to San Diego, but Ill update tomorrow on some quotes for breaking it down to see if its cheaper. I have pictures of how I shipped it out here from NY, and a crazy story to go with it and why I'm not going that route this time. Hopefully sharing my experience with this trip will answer some questions for people later who might be shipping a bike. 

Also, any suggestions for places to ride supermoto or enduro along the way are greatly appreciated, and I'd be glad to meet up and ride with anyone along the way! All suggestions, questions, or stuff I should check out are always welcome, and please bump the post if you want to see updates so I know someones actually reading this lol. Cheers! ?

On 9/26/2019 at 1:37 AM, tedward540 said:

I'm going to be moving from Hawaii back to the east coast in the next few weeks and taking my bike with me. Im currently looking into different options to ship it to California, throw it in the truck, and drive it to NY, hopefully stopping to ride a few places along the way. Ill update this thread as I go, and hopefully get some ideas from you guys on the best ways to go about it! 

Right now I'm getting shipping quotes and looking into partially disassembling the bike and shipping it in multiple pieces. My current quote for just shipping the bike is $900 to San Diego, but Ill update tomorrow on some quotes for breaking it down to see if its cheaper. I have pictures of how I shipped it out here from NY, and a crazy story to go with it and why I'm not going that route this time. Hopefully sharing my experience with this trip will answer some questions for people later who might be shipping a bike. 

Also, any suggestions for places to ride supermoto or enduro along the way are greatly appreciated, and I'd be glad to meet up and ride with anyone along the way! All suggestions, questions, or stuff I should check out are always welcome, and please bump the post if you want to see updates so I know someones actually reading this lol. Cheers! ?

I get it that's a haul across there but damn $900?

Go on a sailing forum and find someone crossing, strap that mother down on the bow and wait. It'll take a few weeks or even ride along, they'll love the help ?

What's a few weeks?   The high country areas are already starting to get snow.  Unless you plan to head south, you might be in for a long cold ride.

Doc

3 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

I get it that's a haul across there but damn $900?

Go on a sailing forum and find someone crossing, strap that mother down on the bow and wait. It'll take a few weeks or even ride along, they'll love the help ?

Oh man, I cant imagine the rust I'd have to deal with when it got there! Ocean water and bikes are a bad mix. Also, got a quote from ups today for shipping a pallet of "motorcycle parts" if I break it down... also $900 ? 

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

What's a few weeks?   The high country areas are already starting to get snow.  Unless you plan to head south, you might be in for a long cold ride.

Doc

I'm thinking Arizona, then head to Colorado. Might visit a friend there and do some snowboarding. My current projected date to pick my truck up from the port is October 11th so itll be mid to late next month. The desert will still be plenty hot, will have snow in the Rockies, but once I hit the midwest itll be some nice fall riding weather. Just gotta stay out of the hunting areas. And a snowy  cold ride doesn't sound half bad after being stuck here in the sweatbox! 

1 minute ago, tedward540 said:

I'm thinking Arizona, then head to Colorado. Might visit a friend there and do some snowboarding. My current projected date to pick my truck up from the port is October 11th so itll be mid to late next month. The desert will still be plenty hot, will have snow in the Rockies, but once I hit the midwest itll be some nice fall riding weather. Just gotta stay out of the hunting areas. And a snowy  cold ride doesn't sound half bad after being stuck here in the sweatbox! 

Sorry I just re-read your original post.  I thought you were talking about riding your bike cross country.  My mistake!

Doc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Sorry I just re-read your original post.  I thought you were talking about riding your bike cross country.  My mistake!

Doc

Now that would be a long cold ride, with a sore ass and some very bald knobbies

Edited by tedward540
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tedward540 said:

Best time of the year for the high desert. ?

• Like 1

First off, I apologize for never updating this! The entire move was pretty hectic and I didnt get much chance to take pictures and document the process. I also never got a chance to ride during the trip like I wanted to. Anyways, I'll address some of the things I learned and maybe it'll help someone else in the same situation. 

Shipping the bike- the cheapest shipping I could find from Honolulu to L.A. was $800. I already had a pallet, so that saved me some money. I just had to build the crate sides around it. I booked it thru Shipping Shack in Honolulu. Its just a one man freight forwarding operation by this guy named Will. One of the technicians at the local KTM dealer recommended him to me and he was super helpful, I'd recommend anyone shipping a bike to or from Hawaii contact him. He's also the only one that would let me ship it WITHOUT draining fluids and everything from the bike. It had a full tank of gas, and even a box full of coolant and oil in the crate. He charges by cubic foot not by weight, so I saved a ton of money by basically jam packing every single thing I own in the crate around the bike. It took 2 weeks to cross the ocean, and I picked it up at a commercial shipping facility in L.A. I unpacked the crate, and re-packed the truck how I wanted it for the road trip instead of hauling a giant box across the country. 

Shipping the truck- The truck cost another 800$ thru Matson. They pretty much have a monopoly on vehicle shipping in Hawaii so not much choice there, but I didnt have any issues. 

Things that went wrong- When I picked the truck up from the docks, the clutch immediately sank to the floor, no pressure at all... I ended up having to change out the slave cylinder right there in the shipping yard at the docks. Its an 03 with 200k miles, so I'm not pinning blame on Matson for that, and they were nice enough to let me work on it right there in their yard. Another thing... get your alignment checked after shipping a lifted truck... apparently the way they chain them down to the deck can throw your alignment off if they crank down too tight or unevenly. My front wheels were toe'd in a few degrees, and I ended up destroying 2 tires. I noticed the uneven wear in Utah the first day, and figured id just replace those 2 when I got to the east coast. By Kansas the humming was so loud I had to stop for the night and find a shop to do the alignment, and i put the worn tires in the back. My advice to anyone making a trip like this, preparation is key. I knew there would be some sort of mechanical problem with a 20 year old truck on a trip like that, so I had just about every tool I own with me. The hand vacuum pump especially came in handy for bleeding the clutch hydraulics by myself. My other advice is not doing it by yourself. Thats one long drive solo. I did the whole thing in 5 days, with one planned day off in Colorado at my buddy's, and losing another full day in Kansas. So, 3 full days of driving, it would have been nice to be able to let someone else drive for a bit. 

I stopped in Colorado for a day to see a friend, and had planned on unloading the bike and riding for a day in the Medicine Bow national forrest. There was already snow in the mountains when I got there, and the trails were all closed, so my one planned riding stop was canned. After that, I just had a bad case of Get there-itis and only stopped for gas and food until I got home. Also, USE THE WAZE APP!! It tells you where all the speed traps are about 2 miles ahead, so I was able to keep cruise between 80-85 the whole way and make great time. 

If you bothered reading all this, thanks! If youre planning a move like this, feel free to message me with any questions

20191008_090009.jpg

20191027_073838.jpg

• Like 3

Based on all the costs incurred, would you do it again? Or sell your stuff in Hi, then buy stuff in Vt?

20 hours ago, NORTY said:

Based on all the costs incurred, would you do it again? Or sell your stuff in Hi, then buy stuff in Vt?

It was expensive for sure, but I think the way I did it was the most cost effective route. I have alot invested into the bike that Id never get back in resale, so I would have been out thousands selling it there, the 800$ for shipping was a smaller hit. I definitely wasted alot in gas driving a lifted truck across the country, but I can get some of that back in taxes since it was a move for work. I wanted to take that particular truck to VT because its a New Mexico truck thats never seen winter and is extremely clean for its age. Older high milage tacoma's consistently sell for over $10k up there if they're rust free like mine, so I can easily get a few years out of it and sell it for what I paid for it in Hawaii. So, yes I would do it that way again because I think long term I'll come out on top, even though the up front moving costs were pretty high. 

Edit- I hadn't ever planned on moving out there when I got the bike. Had that been the plan I wouldnt have bought a brand new bike and immediately dumped thousands into it. It wouldve been better to have a beater 125 for the jungle out there and sell it when I left than ship a brand new 450 back and forth. But my EXC is my baby and no way she's not coming with me haha

Edited by tedward540

I live on Maui and use approved shipping. They work with royal Hawaiian movers and give good rates . I'd say call them and get a quote cheaper than matson in my experience.