KTM CARB HELP

I surfed the internet looking for a new carb and I got one. When readying the description it claimed it was the exact same as stock but there’s this hoes that goes from the carb to the engine could you shed some light on any of this? I’m just about to return it and I did ask the sellers and they gave me trash responses. So I’m coming to the highest consultant of dirt bikes. Here’s a few pictures to as well let me know. The picture is what the hose is and that goes all the way down to the engine. I’ll just add 4 pics go through them IMG_4202.thumb.JPG.90d936d54f982abef0c07388a90bff88.JPGIMG_4203.thumb.JPG.a4a3e2ae565d4e729f779b5045648645.JPG59116775345__19533DF2-0950-4C45-ABFC-12F2CA1FD98C.thumb.JPG.d8dc4509d23c460a486b845adca2f746.JPG59116809898__548B7E95-E74D-4093-80DC-537735822CB7.thumb.JPG.f327d05ef6d45ad861b04cc88eb442d9.JPG

And at that can anyone link me any carb that works for my bike

39 minutes ago, Dont do the butt drugs said:

I surfed the internet looking for a new carb and I got one. When readying the description it claimed it was the exact same as stock but there’s this hoes that goes from the carb to the engine could you shed some light on any of this? I’m just about to return it and I did ask the sellers and they gave me trash responses. So I’m coming to the highest consultant of dirt bikes. Here’s a few pictures to as well let me know. The picture is what the hose is and that goes all the way down to the engine. I’ll just add 4 pics go through them IMG_4202.thumb.JPG.90d936d54f982abef0c07388a90bff88.JPGIMG_4203.thumb.JPG.a4a3e2ae565d4e729f779b5045648645.JPG59116775345__19533DF2-0950-4C45-ABFC-12F2CA1FD98C.thumb.JPG.d8dc4509d23c460a486b845adca2f746.JPG59116809898__548B7E95-E74D-4093-80DC-537735822CB7.thumb.JPG.f327d05ef6d45ad861b04cc88eb442d9.JPG

And at that can anyone link me any carb that works for my bike

It might help to mention what bike you have :D

• Like 1

Return the carb (open a dispute with your credit card company if needed), you need one with a removable intake bell. Cheap FCRs are cheap and the sellers, less than scrupulous. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Return the carb (open a dispute with your credit card company if needed), you need one with a removable intake bell. Cheap FCRs are cheap and the sellers, less than scrupulous. Good luck.

Same as a Pay-Pal claim. You don't even have to return the Carb. Why should he do that at his expense. If the seller isn't willing to work it out, too bad for him. 'Ol mate butt drugs will still get a refund. Then he can sell the carb that doesn't fit. Winning! :D

I'd feel no guilt at all if I were the OP. If they knowingly sent you the wrong carb. Bad luck for them. If it was a mistake, they should be willing to work it out.

"Honesty is the best policy".

• Like 2

Same as a Pay-Pal claim. You don't even have to return the Carb. Why should he do that at his expense. If the seller isn't willing to work it out, too bad for him. 'Ol mate butt drugs will still get a refund. Then he can sell the carb that doesn't fit. Winning! [emoji3]
I'd feel no guilt at all if I were the OP. If they knowingly sent you the wrong carb. Bad luck for them. If it was a mistake, they should be willing to work it out.
"Honesty is the best policy".

My bad man 04 KTM 450 EXC, and they will take t back easy but it’s just annoying at this point. There description said it did and I messaged them before buying it and they said “yes it would fit” whatever though. Yeah I bought this one because I can only find those kind when I look it up and one that’s OEM for 900$

3 minutes ago, Try-Again said:

My bad man 04 KTM 450 EXC, and they will take t back easy but it’s just annoying at this point. There description said it did and I messaged them before buying it and they said “yes it would fit” whatever though. Yeah I bought this one because I can only find those kind when I look it up and one that’s OEM for 900$

Make them pay the return shipping then.

BTW, no offence Intended with the "Ol mate butt drugs" comment. I thought someone else was the OP.

Edited by Drop-Bear

If the carb fits the rubber flanges then yes it will work, You could run the hose down the back of the motor towards the ground like most dike bikes are.

The hose is the crank case breather.

• Like 2

I would get a carb that allows you to put this hose on it like it's supposed to be.

Running this hose down the back of the motor can allow moisture to get into your engine and cause your counterbalancer bearings to rust.

People would sometimes run them this way because after a spill on the right side, the hose would get oil in it which would then get sucked into the carb and cause a temporary cloud of black smoke.  Some people, including me, put a check valve from a 990 in this line.  I have never had the black cloud issue.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GOTWHEELS said:

If the carb fits the rubber flanges then yes it will work, You could run the hose down the back of the motor towards the ground like most dike bikes are.

Travis at Thumper Racing used to sell a special one way valve for this hose.   I used to have that valve and then run the end of the hose down to the counter shaft sprocket area.   You don't need nor do you really want to vent this into the carb.  If that carb fits the boots, then its good to go.  

I might do that I’m not sure yet, I’ll keep looking for carbs and if my only two options are still the one I have now and the OEM one that’s 900$ I’ll run the tube down

The hose is to vent the crank case gases to the intake and burn them in the engine. If you have a different crank case vent system, just put a rubber plug over the hole on the carbs intake cone where that hose is going to. 

The hose is to vent the crank case gases to the intake and burn them in the engine. If you have a different crank case vent system, just put a rubber plug over the hole on the carbs intake cone where that hose is going to. 

Okay what if I didn’t have a different system? Couldn’t I just take the hose and but it back?

Like just for a temporary thing till I get a new vent I guess

On 9/26/2019 at 8:45 AM, twp8357 said:

Travis at Thumper Racing used to sell a special one way valve for this hose.   I used to have that valve and then run the end of the hose down to the counter shaft sprocket area.   You don't need nor do you really want to vent this into the carb.  If that carb fits the boots, then its good to go.  

Why not?  KTM designed it that way on purpose.  I've had mine that way for years without one issue.

Just now, cobra46 said:

Why not?  KTM designed it that way on purpose.  I've had mine that way for years without one issue.

The main reason was after a fall, the oil would travel into that hose and then when you restarted the bike you would get this horrific cloud of blue smoke.   So much  in fact that the EPA and CARB could see you via satellite and then issue you a citation for not being green enough.    Another cool thing that the Travis Valve would do is help keep the area below the piston void of air pressure and thereby actually gain a bit of HP.   And, it would keep water out of that hose thereby keeping oil out of the motor.   I looked at the Thumper Racing site and I don't think they sell that valve anymore.  You could route the hose into the air box up high to keep water from getting in.     And don't think that everything KTM designs is for performance.....remember they have to deal with the EPA and CARB and that is why we spend thousands of dollars to fix that part of their design.

If you decide to add the check valve, the KTM PN is 60030090344.

Some have added generic check valves as well.

3 minutes ago, twp8357 said:

The main reason was after a fall, the oil would travel into that hose and then when you restarted the bike you would get this horrific cloud of blue smoke.   So much  in fact that the EPA and CARB could see you via satellite and then issue you a citation for not being green enough.    Another cool thing that the Travis Valve would do is help keep the area below the piston void of air pressure and thereby actually gain a bit of HP.   And, it would keep water out of that hose thereby keeping oil out of the motor.   I looked at the Thumper Racing site and I don't think they sell that valve anymore.  You could route the hose into the air box up high to keep water from getting in.     And don't think that everything KTM designs is for performance.....remember they have to deal with the EPA and CARB and that is why we spend thousands of dollars to fix that part of their design.

These are the reasons I mentioned to the OP in my post above.  I have had more tip overs/crashes than I care to admit in the six years I've owned my bike and have never experienced the oil cloud issue.  This is likely due to me installing the check valve early on in my ownership.

1 hour ago, cobra46 said:

OK, so your in complete agreement that a check valve or as Travis called them a Case Vent are really important i.e. that is why you were able to go years without one issue.   Therefore, really no reason to hook it up to a carb and the OP should be good to go.   Nice job on providing a part number and the cost is just $20.20 on Chip Munn's site with the KTMTalk membership discount.   

image.png.d4cf73e2da8a271b309c40246075b5ea.pngSee Item 40

Edited by twp8357

2 hours ago, cobra46 said:

If you decide to add the check valve, the KTM PN is 60030090344.

Some have added generic check valves as well.

The flow out that hose is pretty strong, you could actually blow seals if it starting getting clogged from oil vapor or oil evacuation, such as a crack piston crown.

Doesn't seem Like Thumper racing really pushes them, there must be reasons