Jump to content

Steering stem torque spec 2002-2007

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am replacing my steering stem bearings with some new all balls bearings and wanted to know if anyone had the manual and could provide what the torque spec is for the threaded steering head.

Also trying to track down a PDF service manual but aint having any luck.

Bike is a 2006 450R

 

Thanks!

450r.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hondaboi said:

Hello,

I am replacing my steering stem bearings with some new all balls bearings and wanted to know if anyone had the manual and could provide what the torque spec is for the threaded steering head.

Also trying to track down a PDF service manual but aint having any luck.

Bike is a 2006 450R

 

Thanks!

450r.jpg

My '05-'06 manual states to torque it to 22 fl/lbs using a steering stem socket initially. Most just tighten by feel. I adjust until forks fall slowly to one side or the other.

I had no luck finding an '06 pdf so bought my manual at www.helminc.com . Check ebay, that's were I bought a '07-'08 manual that was sent via email and downloaded for like $10. Pretty much anything from '02-'07 would work.

Screenshot-(115).jpg

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HRC27 said:

My '05-'06 manual states to torque it to 22 fl/lbs using a steering stem socket. Most just tighten by feel. I adjust until forks fall slowly to one side or the other.

I had no luck finding an '06 pdf so bought my manual at www.helminc.com . Check ebay, that's were I bought a '07-'08 manual that was sent via email and downloaded for like $10. Pretty much anything from '02-'07 would work.

Screenshot-(115).jpg

Thank you for posting the spec. I have hunted for a PDF manual but no luck. I will check out the link you provided. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hondaboi said:

Thank you for posting the spec. I have hunted for a PDF manual but no luck. I will check out the link you provided. 

My pleasure. I see they say 22 ft/lbs initially, seat bearings, then loosen nut fully and torque to 5.2 ft/lbs. Never tried that but will next time (I have the stem socket).

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HRC27 said:

My pleasure. I see the say 22 ft/lbs initially, seat bearings, then loosen nut fully and torque to 5.2 ft/lbs. Never tried that but will next time (I have the stem socket).

Honda wants almost 200 bucks for the stem socket, I found it on ebay out in the UK for $50 Canadian. Think I may purchase it. The guy I bought the bike off used a flat head and hammer to tighten the nut and buggered the ends up so I have to order a new nut, so might aswell get the correct tool 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hondaboi said:

Thank you for posting the spec. I have hunted for a PDF manual but no luck. I will check out the link you provided. 

I have burned my '07-'08 manual to disc. If you want it, PM me an address.

The main difference between this and the '06 is the decompression mechanism and the '08 shift sensor near the front sprocket. I used it for years before I bought the '05-'06 manual.

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hondaboi said:

Honda wants almost 200 bucks for the stem socket, I found it on ebay out in the UK for $50 Canadian. Think I may purchase it. The guy I bought the bike off used a flat head and hammer to tighten the nut and buggered the ends up so I have to order a new nut, so might aswell get the correct tool 

Cheap enough to get a new stem nut if you need one. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hondaboi said:

Honda wants almost 200 bucks for the stem socket, I found it on ebay out in the UK for $50 Canadian. Think I may purchase it. The guy I bought the bike off used a flat head and hammer to tighten the nut and buggered the ends up so I have to order a new nut, so might aswell get the correct tool 

Check ebay. I paid like $10 for mine (I think). They're like $35+ now.

Edited by HRC27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There all the same, I set mine by feel ,just like adjusting front wheel bearing on a car. Owned close to 50 dirt bikes haven't ruined a stem bearing yet.If it feels like it binding loosen it till its just right, should feel smooth from stop to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you dont torque headset bearings.

 

you tighten them to be just at that point where they nip up so theres no play, and just loose enough to spin completely free.

some bikes you have to pull the forks and all the wires/cables off so you dont get confused. amazing how a headset can feel fine with the forks in, but once removed you can feel the notchy bearings...

 

too tight it wanders around, never wants to travel in a straight line. steering becomes stiff and horrible.

too loose, the bearings wear out rapidly and  after a few hours...stop tracking properly and start wandering around, and then get notchy as the races get hammered...

 

then be careful with the top yokes nut cus again, some bikes, that extra pressure is enough to pinch the bearings up too far.. headsets can be a prick at times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HRC27 said:

My pleasure. I see they say 22 ft/lbs initially, seat bearings, then loosen nut fully and torque to 5.2 ft/lbs. Never tried that but will next time (I have the stem socket).

sounds about right. high torque to make sure theyre seated properly, then back them off to the least pressure possible. 5.2lbs... not even worth torquing.

 

all this talk of sockets and buggered ends...

 

ever tried a file to clean up the nut, and a pin or C-spanner from a machine tool like a collet chuck? $5 for a pin spanner, depending on its size. hell, you can MAKE one with a bit of 1/8 steel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...