Mint Condition Yz490 1985

This bike all brand new took me years to build and wouldn’t you know it the wife is begging me not to get on it do I listen uhhh.... somewhat but not 100 percent

My question is in California I have only seen one in the last eight years and it was also in mint condition at Malcolm Smith motorsports it was $4300 my bike is also in mint condition the only thing is is that nitrogen shock that’s in the back needs to be refilled what would you listed at and I can upload picturesIMG_9409.JPG

Here is an example of mint condition. This bike will sell for a decent amount. Your bike is nice, but not mint. Ride it.

image.png.de0734ccee99f2337bce30cca7c1a73d.png

• Like 4

Wives tale, ride it and be happy. Or sell it and be miserable. 

Listen to your own mind. 

• Helpful 1

I'd guess $2500ish, to the right person. I'm kinda looking for a late 80s one for a toy. Most of your big bore smoker guys will lean towards a cr or kx. I sold a 92' cr500 for $2800 to a guy who tried to flip it and I think it sold for that again.

Problem is, air cooled and the weird combustion chamber design. Did you have the head mod done?

Had a yellow one back in the day. Maybe a '83 or something. What a beast to start, actually broke the kick starter shaft and another time the "steel" kick starter lever as well. Had a 4 speed and ran pretty fast. Loads of fun, real cutting edge!

Edited by mrdsee

Unless you need the money to  feed your family keep the bike. Big bore 2st are the 60's muscle cars of dirt bikes. Even if you don't ride it often it's still nice to have. Go to a track or riding area. Take the 85 yz490 and any other brand new bike. See which one gets the most attention. 

• Like 2

Nice bike. I think that’s the first pipe Pro Circuit ever made. Lol. Brings back memories.
I like how some of the 490 owners are convinced its the fastest big bore ever made. Like they've never heard of a cr500/kx500/ktm550. There was a guy advertising one years ago locally who said it's the fastest bike and to "bring it on" if you thought your bike was faster.

No shortage of them here in Northern California. I get a craigs feed daily and in the last few months Ive seen 7 for sale. None over 2500. Last week a minter was listed for 3500. I dont feel they sell for much. In the local group they trade for 1500 ish in good shape. Its a cool idea of a bike..having one back in the 90's I remember I spent all my time trying to make it right..then a box stock KX500 saved me from the greif. 

They're all worthless unless you find the right buyer..its how everything is. 

21 hours ago, 6bt said:
On 9/27/2019 at 8:26 PM, mikedeezxxx said:

Nice bike. I think that’s the first pipe Pro Circuit ever made. Lol. Brings back memories.

I like how some of the 490 owners are convinced its the fastest big bore ever made. Like they've never heard of a cr500/kx500/ktm550. There was a guy advertising one years ago locally who said it's the fastest bike and to "bring it on" if you thought your bike was faster.

I could never catch my friends Maico 490 and it was clapped out. The Yama 490 was slow. Maybe I'm wrong but the tech wasn't there and It wasnt scary to ride. Just hard to ride fast.