What is the best hitch to put on a BMW 325 wagon? Don't need to haul a trailer just looking to haul a bike carrier.

What year? Does anyone make a 2" receiver for it?

Towing a small trailer is much easier on the vehicle. Hanging a bike off the back is no small load.

• Helpful 1

I installed an Invisihitch on my X1. It’s expensive and a bit of a bear of an install but being able to remove the ball easily is a great feature

image.png

That's for a 2004 325XI Wagon. 200lb. tongue weight and 2,000lb. GTW. No way you're using a hitch carrier w/ that set up, but a trailer would be NP. It's also a 1.25" stinger and I've never seen a mc carrier under 2". 

• Helpful 2

1 hour ago, adam728 said:

What year? Does anyone make a 2" receiver for it?

Towing a small trailer is much easier on the vehicle. Hanging a bike off the back is no small load.

Year is 2003. I would prefer to haul a carrier instead of a trailer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

image.png

That's for a 2004 325XI Wagon. 200lb. tongue weight and 2,000lb. GTW. No way you're using a hitch carrier w/ that set up, but a trailer would be NP. It's also a 1.25" stinger and I've never seen a mc carrier under 2". 

I don't plan on using a trailer plan on using a carrier.

45 minutes ago, Organic7 said:

you cannot legally have that much weight on your vehicle.  You will need to do a trailer, and a light one at that.  

Yeah, sorry. All I am finding for your vehicle is that style hitch. Ok for a bicycle rack or small trailer. Absolutely NO WAY of using a motorcycle carrier on it. Small trailer isn't bad though, I've been rocking the Harbor Feight special about 7 years now.
20180329_183050.jpeg
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, edgerat said:

you cannot legally have that much weight on your vehicle.  You will need to do a trailer, and a light one at that.  

Be cheaper in the long run to get a Gen 1 2wd Toyota pickup. 👍

• Helpful 2

That is my set up to get me and my bike to basic rides and races. A small trailer highly customized pulled by my 328i.  I never could use that car for a bike hauler similar to a Mt bike rack. It would break off and even if it didn't the bike would over shadow the car, and greatly affect the drivability of the car with the weight. 

When I take 2 or more bikes and lots of gear.... I use my van.... But I do love the 328i pulling one bike w the small trailer, which is actually 75% of my hauling. 

That trailer by the way folds up, and I can place it vertically against the wall of my garage when not used. 

20180414_143210.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Be cheaper in the long run to get a Gen 1 2wd Toyota pickup. 👍

Definitely plan on getting a pick up in the future. I can't financially do it now.

9 minutes ago, Robert S said:

That is my set up to get me and my bike to basic rides and races. A small trailer highly customized pulled by my 328i.  I never could use that car for a bike hauler similar to a Mt bike rack. It would break off and even if it didn't the bike would over shadow the car, and greatly affect the drivability of the car with the weight. 

When I take 2 or more bikes and lots of gear.... I use my van.... But I do love the 328i pulling one bike w the small trailer, which is actually 75% of my hauling. 

That trailer by the way folds up, and I can place it vertically against the wall of my garage when not used. 

20180414_143210.jpg

Nice! Did you make that trailer? Reasons why I didn't want a trailer 1.) Cost 2.) Dealing with wiring. But seeing how the carrier won't work. I might just save and buy a pick up because I plan on riding more.

I should have clarified my post that I use the Invisihitch for a trailer, not a rack. There’s no way the 328 or the X1 could safely haul that much weight on a rack.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robert S said:

20180414_143210.jpg

who makes that trailer??? Looks great!

25 minutes ago, Organic7 said:

Nice! Did you make that trailer? Reasons why I didn't want a trailer 1.) Cost 2.) Dealing with wiring. But seeing how the carrier won't work. I might just save and buy a pick up because I plan on riding more.

So my dad and I customized the trailer.  Here is the link of the trailer kit I bought  (are links ok here???).  I got the alluminum version w/ LED lights. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612543_200612543

This trailer itself is not foldable, but the top frame is small.  We added a wood deck that the rear 1/3 portion is split and then can fold up.  It folds at the rear frame bar and it is this rear frame bar that the trailer sits up on, when vertical against the wall.  

I bought a wheel catch at Harbor Freight, and installed all the tie down hooks thru the wood panel and thru the frame.  

The trailer lighting was included in the kit.  The wiring was not too bad - a few hours and lots of beer.  I have LED lights on my 328i and I just tapped into those tailight wires.  They are not powered by my car battery.  If your BMW lights are stock, it might be just as easy.  Just gotta get a wiring harness for the car side of the wiring. But yes.....wiring up the trailer to the car is not a "fun" job....but you`ll have this odd and strange sense of hightened appreciation for tail lights once you get it all done!!  LOL.

Making these trailers might be a good business!! a bit labor intensive though.  A cheap truck might be better !!!

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2019 at 12:35 PM, Organic7 said:

Year is 2003. I would prefer to haul a carrier instead of a trailer.

What bike? You're going to exceed the max tongue weight anyways, but... Bike alone will weigh 220, unless it's a mini.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:29 PM, Robert S said:

So my dad and I customized the trailer.  Here is the link of the trailer kit I bought  (are links ok here???).  I got the alluminum version w/ LED lights. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612543_200612543

This trailer itself is not foldable, but the top frame is small.  We added a wood deck that the rear 1/3 portion is split and then can fold up.  It folds at the rear frame bar and it is this rear frame bar that the trailer sits up on, when vertical against the wall.  

I bought a wheel catch at Harbor Freight, and installed all the tie down hooks thru the wood panel and thru the frame.  

The trailer lighting was included in the kit.  The wiring was not too bad - a few hours and lots of beer.  I have LED lights on my 328i and I just tapped into those tailight wires.  They are not powered by my car battery.  If your BMW lights are stock, it might be just as easy.  Just gotta get a wiring harness for the car side of the wiring. But yes.....wiring up the trailer to the car is not a "fun" job....but you`ll have this odd and strange sense of hightened appreciation for tail lights once you get it all done!!  LOL.

Making these trailers might be a good business!! a bit labor intensive though.  A cheap truck might be better !!!

Just curious, how much is "lots of beer"? Per person...

?

8 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

Just curious, how much is "lots of beer"? Per person...

?

Enough to connect the right side trailer blinker to the left side car blinker, and the left side trailer blinker to the right side of car!!  

• Haha 1