TTR125 Connecting Rod Seizure/Oil Pump Question

I picked up a 2000 TTR125 for $100, top end was off, as the large bearing of the connecting rod was seized up on it. When I tore it down the rest of the way, there was plenty of oil in it, albiet some sludge in the bottom of the covers/case halves. The bearing obviously seized for a reason (not getting oil?), so I'm wondering what I can do to ensure that I don't cash this thing again once back together. I'm going to clean up the case halves and obviously check/blow out any oil passages. As for the oil pump, is there any way to "test" this or ensure that it's working properly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

For the crank they either ran it out of oil or overheated it. Or they put a ton of rtv on the gaskets plugging the screen and or passageways. Could be really high hours as well just finally got tired of the abuse. I’d blow out all of the oil passages, clean/replace the screen, minimize RTV usage. After you throw it back together you can check the oil pump by cranking it over (spark plug disconnected) to prime the pump/top end/ cam and ect. While doing that remove the oil check bolt. It’s on the front of the cylinder head above the exhaust. If you want to you can start it and wait for the oil to come out. If you don’t see any oil come out after a minute kill it and check for a blockage in the passages, or replace the pump.

Thanks for the response. I should be putting the motor in tonight, and will try what you suggested.