2007 ktm 525 xcw

I just bought a 2007 ktm 525 xcw four stroke. I bought it used from a guy who had a detachable rear tail light/blinkers. I would like to street legal this bike but I’m not sure if I can in California. Thanks for the information.

Post up the first 10 letters/numbers of the VIN.    Pretty sure the 8th digit is a 3 or a C and if memory serves, that would suggest no.   However, that being said, there are people at the DMV who have no clue what they are doing.   DMV idiot shopping is a pain in the ass but I have heard owners finally finding someone to issue a plate.    Another option might be if it had a plate from another state and over 7 or 7500 miles, I can't remember the exact number, then you might be able to import it into CA.      I used to buy out of state and I took it to a place called CA Licensing in or near Jamul but she would check for the CARB sticker and if no CARB sticker she would not sign off on that bike...what a pain.  So, I bought a home in Yuma, AZ and now I just plate my toys there.  Good luck.

Emissions restrictions make it challenging. 

You can get a South Dakota plate for it easily. You can then bring it in with at least 7500mi on it and get a CA plate. 

If CHP pulls you over with the SD plate you might get an awfully expensive ticket.