Back brake pedal wire

Hello ladies and gents. 

Really silly question but if you don't know then you don't know(I don't).

Just added an apico rear brake pedal on my son's sx50 and it has a wire coming off it.  Can I please ask; what's it for and where does it go?

I assume it's on all Mx bikes so I put it in the general forum. 

Thanks for any help ??

5 minutes ago, fatpastyhead said:

Hello ladies and gents. 

Really silly question but if you don't know then you don't know(I don't).

Just added an apico rear brake pedal on my son's sx50 and it has a wire coming off it.  Can I please ask; what's it for and where does it go?

I assume it's on all Mx bikes so I put it in the general forum. 

Thanks for any help ??

Pics help...

yamaha-wr250f_red-bull-romaniacs-2016_7M_6203_1200.jpg.28810650ed9e9bec2ce36fe6155b7a63.jpgIt sounds like a "brake snake". If so, the loose end would attach to the frame and would keep brush and small branches from getting jammed between the brake lever and frame. If he doesn't ride thru dense underbrush, it's your choice to remove it.

Edited by 76xtdrvr
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

yamaha-wr250f_red-bull-romaniacs-2016_7M_6203_1200.jpg.28810650ed9e9bec2ce36fe6155b7a63.jpgIt sounds like a "brake snake". If so, the loose end would attach to the frame and would keep brush and small branches from getting jammed between the brake lever and frame. If he doesn't ride thru dense underbrush, it's your choice to remove it.

Actually. Their purpose is to stop the brake pedal bending out after taking a hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

X2  you seldom see those at the MX track , used mainly for woods riding  where a branch could get between the pedal and frame and pull  the pedal down... surprise!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

What I posted, their actual Intended purpose, went right over your head didn't it ?

They are to stop the brake pedal bending out if it hits a rock etc. And that's all they were ever Intended for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

Actually. Their purpose is to stop the brake pedal bending out after taking a hit.

In Oz perhaps. But it serves more as a brush deflector here in Florida.

IMG_2016.jpg.757e04fd5ae11bf4d2d283c3b43f9e28.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 76xtdrvr said:

In Oz perhaps. But it serves more as a brush deflector here in Florida.

IMG_2016.jpg.757e04fd5ae11bf4d2d283c3b43f9e28.jpg

You do know It's another Aussie innovation yeah?

It might serve other purposes, but It's Intended purpose is to stop it bending out. I was just making a correction to the miss Information is all.

29 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

What I posted, their actual Intended purpose, went right over your head didn't it ?

They are to stop the brake pedal bending out if it hits a rock etc. And that's all they were ever Intended for.

Nope, original intent is to keep branches out, not bending the lever a happy coincidence...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

Nope, original intent is to keep branches out, not bending the lever a happy coincidence...

You're wrong. But, at least your consistent :bonk: 

It's a Geoff Ballard Innovation. I'll take his word for it.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballards-Brake-Snake/45-68006?utm_source=catalogue&utm_medium=ballards&utm_campaign=issue37

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

No, they were originally crated by Baja riders who were catching tumbleweeds. They used to run them on shifters too. I think I first saw them in the late 1960's.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Just now, William1 said:

No, they were originally crated by Baja riders who were catching tumbleweeds. They used to run them on shifters too. I think I first saw them in the late 1960's.

Geoff Ballard is a Baja racer from back in the day. Must be where he picked the Idea up. But, First time I ever saw them sold as an after market part lol (bit of wire and fuel hose) was on Ballard's site, was years before I saw them sold anywhere else.

But, if you read the description in the link I posted above (Edit in previous post). You'll see it says "To stop the brake pedal bending out".

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Just semantics.

Says "To stop the pedal bending out" in the link description. But. If you watch the video. Seems you were all right "as well" :D.

My apologises to everyone. I'm retarded ?.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

Geoff Ballard is a Baja racer from back in the day. Must be where he picked the Idea up. But, First time I ever saw them sold as an after market part lol (bit of wire and fuel hose) was on Ballard's site, was years before I saw them sold anywhere else.

But, if you read the description in the link I posted above (Edit in previous post). You'll see it says "To stop the brake pedal bending out".

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Just semantics.

Ballard is not the creator, he is way too young. The guys that created it are all dead or at least 90 years old now.

If... the wire prevented the pedal from fully bending into a pretzel, the pedal would still be bent to the extent the wire had free play, still leaving you totally fubared.

2 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

Says "To stop the pedal bending out" in the link description. But. If you watch the video. Seems you were right "as well" :D.

My apologises. I'm retarded ?.

No worries, we all are. I just was a little kid when I was racing MX and the 'big boys' running Baja, I studied everything about their bikes. It was my dream to run that and the Dakar. Not to be.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, William1 said:

Ballard is not the creator, he is way too young. The guys that created it are all dead or at least 90 years old now.

If... the wire prevented the pedal from fully bending into a pretzel, the pedal would still be bent to the extent the wire had free play, still leaving you totally fubared.

Yes. I did acknowledge that. Hence "Must have been where Ballard got the Idea" in my reply to you.

The snake won't stop the brake pedal bending. But, if you have the right amount of slack in the snake, it will prevent the pedal from being nonoperational.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

I had a thought while I was in the Ballard's catalogue.

I have no Idea how much a Ranaconda (sp?) costs. But have seen people complain about the price. Dependant on shipping costs. This might be a cheaper option for those of you in the USA. I have one. Looks to be pretty much the same thing.

$130.00 aud would be less than, or around $100.00 usd I'd expect.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballards-Tyre-Changer-with-Bead-Breaker/90-TYRECHANGER?utm_source=catalogue&utm_medium=ballards&utm_campaign=issue37

Edited by Drop-Bear

5 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I had a thought while I was in the Ballard's catalogue.

I have no Idea how much a Ranaconda (sp?) costs. But have seen people complain about the price. Dependant on shipping costs. This might be a cheaper option for those of you in the USA. I have one. Looks to be pretty much the same thing.

$130.00 aud would be less than, or around $100.00 usd I'd expect.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballards-Tyre-Changer-with-Bead-Breaker/90-TYRECHANGER?utm_source=catalogue&utm_medium=ballards&utm_campaign=issue37

Not the same thing.....  IMO key feature of Rabaconda is the adjustable base, which supports the wheel closer to the rim which allows you to put a lot more force on the bead tool without damaging spokes...  and not relevant to this thread...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

You're wrong. But, at least your consistent :bonk: 

It's a Geoff Ballard Innovation. I'll take his word for it.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballards-Brake-Snake/45-68006?utm_source=catalogue&utm_medium=ballards&utm_campaign=issue37

YEAH, this guy did not invent them. They were made from security wire and lead crimps, and if you road desert in the 60's and 70's, you had to have one to prevent the Creosote branchs from permanently holding your brake pedal down..... or causing a knock out of gear.  

I still make my own the same way......

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2