Jump to content

I leave this here for everyone.

Recommended Posts

Ktm buys Gas Gas?

KTM Group and Black Toro Capital (BTC) have agreed to create a "joint venture" for the worldwide launch of the Gas Gas brand, which will expand production at the Salt (Girona) plant. As stated by the investment fund in a statement, the salt plant will also continue to be used for the production of the electric vehicle Torrot. More specifically, KTM holds 60% of the capital of the new company, the remaining 40% corresponding to Black Toro, said sources close to the fund.


This alliance aims to launch Gas Gas internationally with the development of new models. The collaboration will involve the extension of the catalog of brands under the commercial and technological umbrella of KTM. KTM will also benefit from the knowledge acquired by BTC, Gas Gas, Torrot and Muving in the area of urban electric mobility.
"This is a big step forward in our Gas Gas consolidation project as a world leader in trials. This allows us to develop a new phase of growth for GasGas, by incorporating new motorcycle models with state-of-the-art technology and all the rest, with the best possible partner. This "joint venture" guarantees a promising future for our brand and the Girona factory, "said Ramón Betolaza, managing partner of BTC.

Source: el periodico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

60% shareholder = majority 

The whole deal hasn't even been authorized by the competition authority. 

Though I fear this could happen although 60% is still not ownership and remains an involvement. I hope that the deal is busted by the Spanish authorities but again I fear it will be approved. A sad day for GG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doc Brown said:

The whole deal hasn't even been authorized by the competition authority. 

Though I fear this could happen although 60% is still not ownership and remains an involvement. I hope that the deal is busted by the Spanish authorities but again I fear it will be approved. A sad day for GG.

The ball is rolling. Even as 60% (when it all comes together) they'll be the majority shareholder and be able to make whatever move they want. The question is do they go the direction they went with Husqvarna and rebuild the brand, or the way they went with Husaberg and eventually phase them out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The whole deal hasn't even been authorized by the competition authority. 

Though I fear this could happen although 60% is still not ownership and remains an involvement. I hope that the deal is busted by the Spanish authorities but again I fear it will be approved. A sad day for GG.

This is the best day in the history of Gas Gas. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

The ball is rolling. Even as 60% (when it all comes together) they'll be the majority shareholder and be able to make whatever move they want. The question is do they go the direction they went with Husqvarna and rebuild the brand, or the way they went with Husaberg and eventually phase them out?

It seems so. Unfortunately. You may think about it whatever you want but you have to accept that others, especially those who know KTM well have a different opinion. I am not amused about this tragedy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

So, better to stay with the KTM hand me down frame and swingarm, 2001 engine and slightly better first gen KTM starter? Come on, dude. 

I could answer this in detail, but it makes no sense. You know nothing about the (by the way new) GG frame nor have you understood that even if starting systems look similar they are VERY different.

Accept that others may have a different opinion.

Edited by Doc Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I could answer this in detail, but it makes no sense. You know nothing about the (by the way new) GG frame nor have you understood that even if starting systems look similar they are VERY different.

lAccept that others may have a different opinion.

Look, Doc, one of my best friends was the regional sales rep for GG NA, until recently, and my good buddy is a factory GG rider. He's been riding them for almost 2 years. I am well aware of how the bike runs, handles, and reliability of the bike. All those things will improve if KTM gets involved and that is awesome news for the brand.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

It seems so. Unfortunately. You may think about it whatever you want but you have to accept that others, especially those who know KTM well have a different opinion. I am not amused about this tragedy. 

Wut? We know exactly what KTM did with the Husqvarna/Husaberg brands. That's a fact, not an opinion... 

But IMO, GasGas is bad bet, and they've been done for years...If anyone can turn a brand around KTM can but sometimes you just gotta walk away and let things die. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former red Husky and Husaberg owner (and dealer) this brings back a lot of bad memories.   

I can see the GG Enduro bikes go away and KTM keep developing the trials line.   How many colours of KTM do we really need? 

Edited by ScottyR
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Wut? We know exactly what KTM did with the Husqvarna/Husaberg brands. That's a fact, not an opinion... 

But IMO, GasGas is bad bet, and they've been done for years...If anyone can turn a brand around KTM can but sometimes you just gotta walk away and let things die. 

Yep. Dealing with the Spanish union/govt will be tough, don't wish that on anyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that the real prize for KTM is Torrot's electric vehicle knowledge and technology. The future will be electric despite the prospect being unpalatable to a lot of people.

They will likely ditch GasGas motorcycles, perhaps keeping the trials bike side of the business, or keep the name and make red KTMs like they kept the Husqvarna name and made white KTMs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s wildly speculate about how this may play out! Ok, I’ll go first..

1) KTM want Torrot e-bike tech for commuter & later off-road applications. 

2) They will eventually quietly retire gas Gas off-road but keep Trial; where they have zero market share. 

3) They own WP suspension, so bye-bye KYB on any Mattighofen-marketed bikes. 

Almost all my riding group are long term Gas Gas owners & are pretty anti-KTM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

So, better to stay with the KTM hand me down frame and swingarm, 2001 engine and slightly better first gen KTM starter? Come on, dude. 

No. Better to replace KYBs with a shitty suspension add 3,000$ to the price 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...