KTM buys 60% of GAS GAS!!!

I know there is already a thread about this in the Gas Gas forum, but since this crosses a couple brands, I thought I'd post it in the General forum. 

Mods - if you don't feel this belongs here just delete it as there is already a thread in the Gas Gas forum.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/two-wheelers/motorcycles/after-husqvarna-ktm-adds-spanish-brand-gasgas-to-its-kitty/71317444

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/economia/20190926/ktm-y-black-toro-capital-crean-una-joint-venture-para-el-lanzamiento-global-de-gas-gas-7653365

It should be interesting.  I have a Gas Gas trials bike.  I like it but the company sucks (parts distribution, dealer,etc).  Hopefully KTM can fix that.  I broke the radiator fairing on my 2020 KTM 300 XC-W.  I called the dealer Tuesday afternoon.   They ordered one.  I got the call Wednesday morning I could come pick it up.  Less than 24 hours on a bike that's been out for a month.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 2

Doesn't have to be a smaller Euro brand to have parts availability issues in north america, just live in Canada.

Yamaha Canada doesn't stock any 2005-current YZ125 CDI units in their inventory, "too expensive, not enough demand" I was told.

My part is on 10 day back-order from Japan. (and priced at double the USA price due to trade tariffs...)

Was in the same situation last summer waiting for a power valve and, a 3rd time for a transmission gear.

Apart from a few cosmetic changes, the YZ125 is mechanically the same bike 15 years straight which should greatly simplify inventory.

Riding season is short up here.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

Don't have to be a small Euro brand to have parts availability issues in north america, just live in Canada.

Yamaha Canada doesn't stock any 2005-current YZ125 CDI units in their inventory, "too expensive, not enough demand" I was told.

My part is on 10 day back-order from Japan (double the USA price as well due to trade tariffs...)

Same situation last season for a power valve.

Everyone here spouts off endlessly about YZs parts availability.  Ive read of a few other parts issues here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS109 said:

This will be the death of GG enduro bikes. Just remember all the promises that KTM made concerning Husaberg and Husqvarna. GG will be dead except for maybe trials bikes.

Ktm backed trials bikes would be nice though.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SS109 said:

This will be the death of GG enduro bikes. Just remember all the promises that KTM made concerning Husaberg and Husqvarna. GG will be dead except for maybe trials bikes.

Well Husky seems to be doing pretty well these days.

Would be nice to be able to order parts for my GasGas through a local dealer though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doc_d said:

I know there is already a thread about this in the Gas Gas forum, but since this crosses a couple brands, I thought I'd post it in the General forum. 

Mods - if you don't feel this belongs here just delete it as there is already a thread in the Gas Gas forum.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/two-wheelers/motorcycles/after-husqvarna-ktm-adds-spanish-brand-gasgas-to-its-kitty/71317444

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/economia/20190926/ktm-y-black-toro-capital-crean-una-joint-venture-para-el-lanzamiento-global-de-gas-gas-7653365

It should be interesting.  I have a Gas Gas trials bike.  I like it but the company sucks (parts distribution, dealer,etc).  Hopefully KTM can fix that.  I broke the radiator fairing on my 2020 KTM 300 XC-W.  I called the dealer Tuesday afternoon.   They ordered one.  I got the call Wednesday morning I could come pick it up.  Less than 24 hours on a bike that's been out for a month.

Doc

That’s way better than my friend who’s new  Ktm 300 sat for 5 weeks waiting for an exhaust flange being backordered 

1 hour ago, seer said:

Ktm backed trials bikes would be nice though.

Not for us GG guys that have enduro bikes.

54 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Don't remember any promises...….what were they?

Joe

Nothing on Husaberg but they killed it off when the acquired Husqvarna. With Husky they said they would let the brand develop separately and support the previous bikes which neither happened.

54 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

Well Husky seems to be doing pretty well these days.

Would be nice to be able to order parts for my GasGas through a local dealer though.

But is it Husky, really? All I see is a KTM with a few upgraded parts, white plastics, and the Husky name slapped on it. As to parts availability, if past experience with KTM holds true, say goodbye to parts for older GG bikes.

• Like 4

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to KTM buys 60% of GAS GAS!!!