GPS confusion

I read all the threads I could find ( most are to old) RE: GPS for off road and dual sport, the more I read the more confused I get. About decided on Garmin Montana 610 until I read some crappy reviews. How about some up to date recommendations from riders. Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

Yeah, seems Avenza and the Polaris ride command app are where it’s at. Bonus if you have a functioning old phone in the drawer for gps duty.

I have a Garmin Montana and love it. You will probably need to download some additional maps, free, read the other posts, we dont need to rehash that.  Touchscreen works with riding gloves, screen is visible with full sun. Cabelas has crazy sales on those sometimes. Get the Garmin handle bar mount for the bike and hard wire it, Ram mount is the only way to go. 

What is turning you off to Garmin? I can probably tell you true or false.

Something I read about no maps and poor base camp, vibration causing probs. What Montana do you have? I was trying to come up with an idea to rubber mount. I realize how inaccurate reviews can be, that's why I started a new thread

Ya we live in an age of actual GPS units vs using a smart phone.

IMO and from my research Garmin's are the best GPS devices BUT they are propriety and you need to use their IMG GPS topo maps OR free IMG topo maps and Garmins software to load maps a SD card. Also there topo maps are excellent but you need them for the state etc you are riding.

Personally I used dedicated/non dedicated Android phones with either Garmin Topo's or Avenza with their GPS coordinated maps and IMO Avenza is about as easy as it gets.

There are quite a few topics here and I've posted about this many times and there are pros and cons either way BUT my Android phone setup's cost pretty much $0.00 and work perfectly fine a GPS compared to Garmin devices.

• Like 1

Having used Garmin, Trimble, lowrance, and phones for 20 years I primarily use phones anymore for anything that doesn't require metadata or will be used in litigation.

The one advantage the Garmin will have is durability and a sunlight readable screen. 

• Like 1

The new Garmin 66i has built in InReach satellite tracking, messaging and emergency SOS.  That'll be my next GPS.

Doc

• Like 3

Ya IMO the Garmin devices are durable/truly waterproof and having InReach in the device is a great option.

This is going to take it into the smart phone topic and they can be somewhat durable/water resistant.

Not great pics but I used both phones mounted on my DRZ at the same time for a recent DS event and IMO screens are large and IMO no issues with viewing in bright sunlight even with them both being covered with dust.

Androids with Oruxmaps for the app and Garmin Topo.

20181208_111318.jpg.72e5e6704b9ec7fe7855e47a915e2257.jpg

I'm liking the larger screen and mount I tested on my CRF so far 🙂

20190630_113112.thumb.jpg.7df35cf18311e48ba0bb08862f7a96b0.jpg

I've been using a Montana 600 for more than several years and it's been good. However I find Basecamp to be a nightmare. My brother in law gave me his old Android phone and I'm gonna mount it next to my Montana to see how it compares - have several friends that use them and they like it.

7 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

I've been using a Montana 600 for more than several years and it's been good. However I find Basecamp to be a nightmare. My brother in law gave me his old Android phone and I'm gonna mount it next to my Montana to see how it compares - have several friends that use them and they like it.

I like Basecamp.. use it for everything... it has quirks for sure but so far I find it works better for me than any of the android options (not interested in Apple at all, so haven't tried that).  One thing that I find very handy with the Montana is the ability to share data on the trail.  I've met people up in the mountains and shared routes/tracks, super easy albeit a bit slow.  Likely possible using some android apps, however that may be problematic if your not both using the same software/version/os...

Ehh, still confused, I don't have an old phone, I did load avenza to my good phone, not sure on battery life but will try it next week. I'd rather not hard wire because of switching between 2 bikes. The 66i Doc mentioned looks good but is pricey also is a 3" screen big enough to see easily, I am older? Keep comments coming

Avenza works in airplane mode. Even a crap battery seems to last when in airplane mode.

i like Avenza for “you are here” on maps. Polaris ride command is more like a traditional gps. You can save map areas for offline mapping.

6 minutes ago, AxlBundy said:

Avenza works in airplane mode. Even a crap battery seems to last when in airplane mode.

i like Avenza for “you are here” on maps. Polaris ride command is more like a traditional gps. You can save map areas for offline mapping.

Exactly what I do...avenza on an old Android phone in airplane mode. Works great!!!

I use a Montana 610 and have no issues at all.  I have the Garmin Rugged mount hardwired and adapted to use the RAM mount system.  Works great.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DPete said:

the more I read the more confused I get

I feel your pain. Everybody has a favorite, just like favorite bikes, tires ,oil, etc.  I'm far from being a GPS device expert, but did some research and made a choice. The cell phone app vs. dedicated device will always have pros and cons on both sides. I went with a cell phone app (GPX Viewer PRO, fwiw). I have to stop to read a small screen anyway, and I figured for the cheap price of of an app, I'd become comfortable with mapping and navigating, then decide what dedicated device, if any, is right for me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gflo said:

I use a Montana 610 and have no issues at all.  I have the Garmin Rugged mount hardwired and adapted to use the RAM mount system.  Works great.

How long would it run on battery without being wired?

1 hour ago, DPete said:

Ehh, still confused, I don't have an old phone, I did load avenza to my good phone, not sure on battery life but will try it next week. I'd rather not hard wire because of switching between 2 bikes. The 66i Doc mentioned looks good but is pricey also is a 3" screen big enough to see easily, I am older? Keep comments coming

Should be big enough... whereabouts in CA are you?  I've got a GPSMAP 78 with power connector (other end SAE) and ram 1" ball cradle.  Be glad to loan it to you to try out, if you're anywhere near Reno...

1 minute ago, DPete said:

How long would it run on battery without being wired?

Depends, 610 has battery saving features such as lowered backlight and such.  Using the recharegable battery I think I get around 2-3 hours with battery conservation OFF  as having the screen blank out on you while trying to navigate is a pain ?  I''m using an AMPS powered mount, only ever use battery when stopped.  I think you can get a bit more out of it running AA's but haven't tried.