Anyone got gas?

Hey everybody,

My 2015 crf 250x is not street legal but I plan on riding a bunch with a couple guys that have Suzuki DRZ 400 that are street legal. We will mainly do fire roads and some single track and we plan on camping out in the forest too. My bike has a 1.9 gal fuel tank and I want to be able to extend my riding distance so I can do longer trips with my buddys. As far as I can tell there are two ways I can go.

1. Aftermarket tank. I was looking at the IMS 2.6 gallon tank. They also offer a 4 gal tank but I think that is too big.

2. Auxiliary tank/can. I’ve seen a couple options here. Cylindrical canisters placed in plastic bolt on containers. Usually about 1 L each. Or a propak 1 gallon plastic container that is held on by a cam connection.

On the same topic, does anyone recommend a specific rear fender luggage rack?

Anyone out there have experience they would like to share on this topic?

IMG_0283.JPG

I made my own rack, but I run a wolfman bottle carrier with a 1.5 liter primus fuel bottle. I figure it gives me another 20 miles or so in a pinch.

• Like 1

On longer rides I occasionally run an Acerbis handlebar mounted tank:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/acerbis-auxiliary-handlebar-fuel-tank

(0.6 US gallons equals 2 liters) not much extra but in my specific usage that extends my range by about 25 miles (40km)

Yes the extra weight and slosh of the fuel can be noticeable but IMO easily lived with. (better than running out of gas)

Gas gets used up from it first so within the first hour or two the aux. tank is empty, the tank itself weighs next to nothing.

Unlike a bike specific larger capacity tank, this setup can easily be transferred to any other (future) bike.

Keep in mind those DRZ will cruise at speed on dirt roads effortlessly versus your CRF250X that will require more throttle input to keep up with them.

Ride at the front of the pack and set the pace as they could easily leave you falling behind on longer stretches.

Fuel mileage will greatly depend on throttle input, meaning at what speeds you cruise on the fire roads and, how hard you accelerate out of corners.

Main jet sizing as well, a trade-off between best power and decent mileage.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

IMO you need to firstly figure out exactly how far you can ride safely on a tank of gas.

Ironically my 03 DRZ400e and 05 CRF250R use almost the exactly same amount of gas regardless of where how I ride them.

With 9L I can get about 120KM's safely and you can convert to gallons.

Once you know your fuel range you can figure out how much extra gas you need and how to carry it.

• Like 1

IMG_0283.JPG.824760554872d8fc2ef25e280af41de7.JPG

I made my own rack, but I run a wolfman bottle carrier with a 1.5 liter primus fuel bottle. I figure it gives me another 20 miles or so in a pinch.

That’s an impressive rack!! I’m a terrible welder but functionally my welds hold. I might goof around with a diy version like yours. Thanks for the picture.

On longer rides I occasionally run an Acerbis handlebar mounted tank:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/acerbis-auxiliary-handlebar-fuel-tank
(0.6 US gallons equals 2 liters) not much extra but in my specific usage that extends my range by about 25 miles (40km)

Yes the extra weight and slosh of the fuel can be noticeable but IMO easily lived with. (better than running out of gas)
Gas gets used up from it first so within the first hour or two the aux. tank is empty, the tank itself weighs next to nothing.

Unlike a bike specific larger capacity tank, this setup can easily be transferred to any other (future) bike.

Keep in mind those DRZ will cruise at speed on dirt roads effortlessly versus your CRF250X that will require more throttle input to keep up with them.
Ride at the front of the pack and set the pace as they could easily leave you falling behind on longer stretches.

Fuel mileage will greatly depend on throttle input, meaning at what speeds you cruise on the fire roads and, how hard you accelerate out of corners.
Main jet sizing as well, a trade-off between best power and decent mileage.

I like this option too! Nice to know it drains down first so as to reduce the sloshing around.

IMO you need to firstly figure out exactly how far you can ride safely on a tank of gas.
Ironically my 03 DRZ400e and 05 CRF250R use almost the exactly same amount of gas regardless of where how I ride them.
With 9L I can get about 120KM's safely and you can convert to gallons.
Once you know your fuel range you can figure out how much extra gas you need and how to carry it.

This is going to be my goal for the next ride. I think I’ll grab a primus 1 liter canister and afix it to the bike. Then I’ll ride till I’m out of gas making sure I’m no more than 5-10 miles from car/camp. Boom I’ll know my max distance on stock tank. Thanks.

Here's an idea of what to expect,

with 13/50 gears, a #142 main jet and riding a mix of slow trails and moderate speed dirt roads, my average is 20km per liter (12.5 miles)

Steady throttle on flat ground (roads) will yield more. Accelerating hard, rough terrain and wheel spin will bring the average down.

As a reference, also measure the true capacity of your petcock's reserve pickup point.

Have never quite figured out why (should be the correct filter/petcock assy. for my tank)

but mine hits reserve sooner than specs:     ON: 4.75 liters, RES. 2.5 liters,  total capacity: 7.25 liters

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

The simple and inexpensive solution would be to swap to the 04-07 CRF250X tank. IIRC it is 2.5 Gal and a direct bolt on , just be sure you get the front bracket with the tank.

Edited by chopper61
  • Like 1

I have tested my X for mileage with JD Jetting (richer than stock) and I get 40-44mpg trail/dirt roads.  You can use an early X tank and they are 2.2 gallons (w/ .4 reserve) for an 88-97 mile range.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

I have tested my X for mileage with JD Jetting (richer than stock) and I get 40-44mpg trail/dirt roads.  You can use an early X tank and they are 2.2 gallons (w/ .4 reserve) for an 88-97 mile range.

So the early tanks still fit on the X even from later years? This sounds like a great idea. I should be able to get 100 miles out of it. I have JD jetting as well.
Thank you.

20 hours ago, ramz said:

I actually measured the fuel tank capacity:

https://rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm#fueltank

YMMV

:ride:

14 hours ago, Bizzidy said:

So the early tanks still fit on the X even from later years? This sounds like a great idea. I should be able to get 100 miles out of it. I have JD jetting as well.
Thank you.

Yes they fit . And I would recommend that you measure the real capacity of  the tank and the reserve capacity. The total will change based on how the tanks have changed over time because it is plastic; and you can change the capacity by removing the white plastic insert in the filler or drilling a vent hole in it near the top of the tank. I have drilled a small hole in the white plastic tube near the top to reduce the air space in the tank and thus increased its volume. 

Also the inlet tube on the petcock determines the reserve capacity of the tank, and Honda uses a lot of different ones that will fit the outlet fitting. The critical dimension is the height of the "main" filter screen.  Measure the "main" capacity, and reserve capacity  of your tank so you better understand your range. 

I'm using a "R" tank on my X which is more than adequate for almost all of my riding. I'm running an "R" tank (1.9gal) with a  04-07 X filter screen and have 1.5gal primary and 0.40 gal reserve. The height to the main opening on the 04-07 filter screen is 3.25" providing 0.4gal of reserve.  As a side note the gas level in the tank at the top of the screen tube is 1 gallon, which can be viewed thru the filler opening. So for a 40,ie ride I make sure the gas is above the top of the tube.

The 04-07 2.2 gal tank with the 04-07 filter screen would also provide a 0.40 gal reserve.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

Ya drain them completely and IMO you should do anyway every few years to check the in tank fuel filter, then use a measuring bottle to fill gas.

If there is a reverse on the bike you still need to know what that is but measure, fill ride with an accurate odometer, and figure out out how far you've gone on what ever gas you used.

It involves math and a bit of work dealing with measuring gas full/used but worth it in the long run.

it was easy on my DRZ with a reserve but still had to figure how much the reserve was

• Like 1

I measured the gas mileage early on with my X on two rides of about 30 miles each and found my mileage was 40-43_ mpg. Also that the top of the filter tube was 1 gallon.  Since most of my rides are +/-30 miles I only need gas to the top of the filter tube for a normal ride.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

What I've posted before and pretty much the same with my 03 DRX400e

This is what i did on my crf250r with an oversized 250X tank and no odometer and obviously these are in metric 🙂 and to get your accurate fuel range.

Drain the tank completely.

Use use an accurate measuring device to fill the tank. I used a clear 2L bottle with ML markings.

Then using a GPS I did one 80KM long ride.

Fuel tank = 9.3L

Ride 80KM = then refilled and used 4.8L

9.3L - 4.8L = 4.5L not used in the tank

80KM divided by 4.8L = 16.7KM per L

4.5L x 16.7KM per L = 75KM

75KM + 80KM = 155KM

I then did a shorter 50ish KM harder ride to compare fuel range and same measuring bottle and got the exact same results so I feel pretty comfortable doing a ride of MAX 140KM on a full tank of gas using my GPS and erroring on the side of caution IE maybe going MAX one way 65KM's.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I have a older crf x tank 2.2 gallons available and an Acerbis 2.9 gl.  (11 liter) tank for sale.  cheap. I used them on my crf 250r.

e-mail me at agent125@yahoo.com if you are interested.  both excellent condition.

Edited by X-ray
  • Like 1

One problem with the R tank on my 05 X, the radiator side panels don't fit as easy. Just go easy so you don't strip out any of the threads in the tank. I get the panel bolts on the tank started first and then fuss with starting the two other bolts.

• Like 1