First Dual Sport

Hello everyone! I am a new to dual sports and to this forum. I am 29, 6', 220 lbs and after recently moving, and the atv restrictions in my new township, I am ready to invest in a dual sport. I would like to buy new, and keep the price under 6k if possible. Riding style would be ballpark 70 on/ 30 off

What I NEED this bike to do is be capable and comfortable traveling 55 on pavement and dirt, and being capable enough offroad for atv size orv trails with (I don't plan on any single track anytime in the near future, but maybe some little jumps and wheelies lol)

I would LIKE for it to be capable of 70 mph highway speeds, but want something smaller and easier to control while learning.

During my search I have seen the wr250r and drz400s come up multiple times, but both sound geared more for single track offroad riding, and idk which would be better for a beginner, or if there is a better option entirely.

Edited by jd711
clarification

10 hours ago, xbobx said:

not sure where this mythology comes from

I should have been careful with terminology there, but I meant that they are biased to tight technical offroad. Even though they are capable of being on the road, I hear they get pretty uncomfortable for long periods of time, or higher speeds. Is this untrue?

7 hours ago, nobade said:

DR650. Sounds tailor made for what you want.

I hadn't really considered the bigger bikes due to the weight and being a beginner. Would the weight cause any issues keeping up with other atvs through the trails, or would this bike be more than capable in the wider atv trails?

Thanks for the great responses.

Okay great! I will probably go with the wr-r new, and not touch the highway until I get loads of experience on lol.

Are there any better options in the 6k range if I go the used route?

The DR is seriously held back by its stock suspension. Give it the full Cogent Dynamics treatment and it can hold it's own offroad. The weight is close to the drz400 but way more torque and better on the highway. The WR-R is still the better offroad bike but is a high revving puny thing on the highway. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Well say we cut out highway riding entirely limit to just 55 mph main roads, atv trails, and the occasional jump or wheelie. Are the wr-r and drz still the top choices?

I have found 'new' previous models years here in MI right now, $5500 for the drz, and $6000 for the wr-r.

And I would definitely prefer a Japanese bike over Euro. I've always been partial to Honda, but the crf250l seems kinda lacking, and I don't want to get bored with it immediately lol

OK...so you are in Michigan where you can convert and/or plate dirt bikes.  Sounds like you want to ride trails and offroad and occasionally connect from trail to trail  via asphalt.

Thats what we do here in Colorado, so we dont run into any areas where we arent allowed to ride.  Plate a dirt bike.  As people have stated above a WR250R and DRZ400 or DR650 are far from good dirt bikes for single track and trail riding.  They are dual sports with big compromises when it comes to their offroad performance.

Perhaps @Doc_d (another michigander) can set you straight and share his experience.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I don't live close enough to any orv trails to just jump from trail to trail. It will probably see more on road time than offroad (60 mph or less). I understand I will be compromising offroad capability with a DS, but so long as it can handle paved and gravel roads, and orv specific trails (up to 50" wide in MI) I will be happy.

It sounds like the OP wants to ride it daily on pavement.  To me, especially for a beginner, that rules out all the high performance bikes.  We can plate anything here in Michigan.  I have a plated 2-stroke 300 XC-W and 4-stroke 350 XCF-W?  Bikes like those are awesome in the woods, but for someone new to motorcycles who wants to ride them daily, I wouldn't recommend one of the high performance bikes.

That leaves the true dual sports (i.e. low maintenance).  I think the DRZ or WR250R are good choices.  I have a DRZ400S and that's exactly how I use it.  55 MPH paved back roads, gravel roads and some two-tracks.  

Between the DRZ400S and the WR250R it's a toss up.  The WR250R is more modern, fuel injected, 6 speed, better suspension and a bit lighter.  It'll have less grunt but more willing to rev and do it smoothly.  You're never going to get much more than the stock 27 HP out of the WR250R.  The DRZ400 is an older design with a carb and a 5 speed.  Stock it's 32 HP but it's pretty detuned.  Basic mods (jetting, exhaust and opening up the airbox) will get you to 39 HP.  Throw a pumper carb on and you'll be around 42.  The there are aftermarket cams , big bore kits, etc.  

If you don't want to fiddle with your bike at all get the WR250R and just ride it.  If you want to fiddle and change things then get the DRZ. 

Our 50" ORV trails are often very deep sand...  The trick there will be finding a tire that is DOT, has reasonable life on pavement but can still get you through that deep sugary sand.  

What area of Michigan are you in?

Doc

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed response Doc.

I live in Lapeer County, Multiple family members with acreage and atv trails, and my family owns a cabin in the ogemaw county forest (there are definitely some sand trails), where we go up minimum 3 times a year, bring our atvs, and ride all through the forest and to west branch and rose city for food and gas.

I used to just ride my quad everywhere on and off road, but the township I am in has restricted roads that basically box me in from any serious riding on road.

So even though there will be many weekends I will be riding trails, I like to ride on the roads after work (honestly I'll probably ride to work now that it will be an option)

I do like the idea that after I have some experience, the drz can be easily upgraded.

OP~

Since you're a new rider, let's see if we can get you some training. MSF has some off-road training classes. There are other as well. (Rawhide being one of 'em.)  

So, before you go out and buy a bike, take the class and ride their range bikes. Try a few of them. Try them on all the various surfaces they offer. (Including the street, if possible.) During these "test" rides, you should be evaluating each bike's strengths and weaknesses. You don't need to create spreadsheets, but taking a coupla notes after each bike could prove useful. If this isn't possible, then maybe renting a few different models could help you decide what's best for your application. 

You mention you ride ATV. Do you have PPG already? If not, then this is another expenditure. 

After doing all this riding, and choosing, you should come up with a candidate for you. 

Here comes one of my favorite tag lines...

"It's better to make a $150-$300 investment, rather than a $6,000 mistake."

Pick up the new crr450l A lot of shops have super Moto versions to the shop I work at right now so Cal and this day has a super Moto version with work nine rims on it already to roll six speed weight ratio gearsA lot of shops have super Moto versions to the shop I work at right now so Cal and this day has a super Moto version with work nine rims on it already to roll six speed weight ratio gears. I’ll never go with the non-Japanese bike again I got huskies and KTM’s and they’re not worth it no the cost

• Like 1

Pick up the new crr450l A lot of shops have super Moto versions to the shop I work at right now so Cal and this day has a super Moto version with work nine rims on it already to roll six speed weight ratio gearsA lot of shops have super Moto versions to the shop I work at right now so Cal and this day has a super Moto version with work nine rims on it already to roll six speed weight ratio gears. I’ll never go with the non-Japanese bike again I got huskies and KTM’s and they’re not worth it no the cost
+1, buy once cry once. If you want new and Japanese, the CRF450L is the only one worth the asking price. Otherwise a used DRZ400 is your best option.

On 9/26/2019 at 5:38 PM, jd711 said:

I would LIKE for it to be capable of 70 mph highway speeds, but want something smaller and easier to control while learning.

If your budget is 6K or less, get the latest model/best KTM 500 exc you can find. Will do 70 no problem and will be much easier on any trail vs the DR.

If you want that kind of speed trail ability as well as Street ability and reliable and easy to find cheaper parts I get the Honda CRF 450 L I’ve had several bikes many DRZ’s husky’s KTM’s and hukys and items are nightmares to me, I’ve never had good luck with them if you want that kind of speed,trail ability as well as Street ability/freeway crushing and reliable and easy to find cheaper parts I get the Honda CRF 450 L I’ve had several bikes many DRZ’s huskys, Ktms. I’ll taje reliability of power any day if the week. Hence why I’m back on a drz