Racetech fork springs scratching sound ?

So tonight after work i FINALLY added my .51 fork springs. Removed forks, drained, flushed with new fluid, drained added new fluid, used my new Tusk fluid level gauge and set level to 125mm from top of tube with it fully compressed. Bled plunger 10 times SLOWLY 

Added spring seat and tube

Added new racetech spring PLUS the freaking apcer i had to make (long story in itself) buttoned up forks and picked the old girl off the stand. Pushed on bars and I CAN HEAR THE FORK SPRINGS I ASSUME RUBBING ACROSS INNER FORK TUBES??!!!!!

Disassemble both forks and start all over! Put it back together and AGAIN i can hear what sounds like the fork spring rubbing against the inside of the tubes....

WHAT THE F IS GOING ON?

Edited by superdutyscaler

This is pretty typical when fitting new springs as they have a pitted finish and will rub along the inner fork tubes.

You can either use some sandpaper or run them through a brush wheel on the bench grinder to smooth the external edges. Makes a huge difference to the noise.

BTW, what size spacer did you use?

• Helpful 1

Spacer is 7/8" overall height. 3/4" is to make the racetech spring the same height as the original spring then the extra height was to add the "preload" racetech says you need for some reason.

I didnt ride it last night because i pulled the forks apart three times thinking something was wrong and today i uave to go to my wifes grandparents because her grandfather passed away yesterday. So ill take the bike out Saturday morning to see how she feels. I have to swap the shock spring also so im gona do that tonight when i get back from her grandparents house. Just sitting on the bike last night ypu can feel the front emd is up in the stroke where before it was LOW i kinda gotta tiptoe it now but the forks feel nice while i bounce on it pretending to ride LOL 

You don't bother to mention what bike you're working on. If its an open cartridge KYB fork, which is what it appears to be, any preload spacers need to be at the bottom of the spring, not on top of it. Don't try adding their recommended preload to the spring without doing the appropriate measuring to calculate how many (if any at all) shims/spacers you need to get it where you want. I've always tried to run as little preload as possible. That helps make the forks more compliant over sharp edged bumps, especially if you're going to a stiffer spring. I'd also run the oil level at the top of the range. Even with lighter riders, I always ran the higher oil level (90mm works great on any YZ forks made this century). That combined with *less* preload gives a better ride, all other things being equal. And yes, don't judge any noises until after you ride it. The springs will settle into place as long as the spacers/shims are installed at the correct end of the spring.

• Like 1