Best Bike for My GF

So I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but to be brutally honest I dont have hours to read through hundreds of posts, also I feel like bikes that were good a couple years ago may not be the best option now.

My GF has a good amout of seat time both on and off road so she is not a real beginner. She is 5'4 135 lbs. The biggest issue I feel is seat height. She really wants to be able to put both feet down. Second is weight.  Having to pick up a heavy dual sport like a WR will tire her and me out quickly. She doesnt want a 2 stroke. We want our bikes plated which really isnt an issue but just throwing that in. We will be riding mostly trail and forest service roads. 

She is leaning towards a KTM 250 exc-f and lowing it. I thought about getting her a Beta 125 rrs and putting the 183 big bore kit on it. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

My friends girl loves her plated 250 xcf-w with a Rekluse. It is lowered and she does pretty well on it in the PNW Gnar. This after wasting way too much time trying to get a 200 to work for her.

My GF is close to the same size and she just purchased a 2020 Husqvarna 300TEi. She absolutely loves it! Tons of low end and has consistent power throughout. She purchased the cut seat and purchased a new coil spring and lowered it a bit that way. If she doesn’t want to spend the dough my GF’s 2013 350 EXCF was professionally lowered and listed is on CL.

• Like 1

http://motoajp.com/enduros/models-features/pr3enduro/  not sure id Erik at Northwest European Cycles in spanaway still sells these, but these are good reliable bikes. This is about a light as your going to get.

If your willing to rethink a 2 stroke, the beta xtrainer would be a very good choice. I am reading about more and more ladies switching from 250 four stokes to the xtrainer and loving it.

There wont be a perfect bike for her, so you might need to give a little in order to find something that works best for her. 

• Like 1

You said she doesn't want a two stroke, but as a couple others have said, the Beta X-Trainer might be the way to go. Low seat height and a super versatile bike.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was either a Honda CRF150 or a Yamaha TTR125, but it sounds like she might be past a little trail bike.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OLYWA508 said:

My GF is close to the same size and she just purchased a 2020 Husqvarna 300TEi. She absolutely loves it! Tons of low end and has consistent power throughout. She purchased the cut seat and purchased a new coil spring and lowered it a bit that way. If she doesn’t want to spend the dough my GF’s 2013 350 EXCF was professionally lowered and listed is on CL.

I just looked at your CL ad.....nice option for sure. Ill show it to my gf and see what she thinks. Thanks

12 hours ago, Leftdagrid said:

My friends girl loves her plated 250 xcf-w with a Rekluse. It is lowered and she does pretty well on it in the PNW Gnar. This after wasting way too much time trying to get a 200 to work for her.

Thanks for the info. How does she like the rekluse? Ive ridden a couple of bikes with a rekluse and it takes a little getting used to but I like the fact that its almost impossible to stall!

11 hours ago, Eric72 said:

http://motoajp.com/enduros/models-features/pr3enduro/  not sure id Erik at Northwest European Cycles in spanaway still sells these, but these are good reliable bikes. This is about a light as your going to get.

If your willing to rethink a 2 stroke, the beta xtrainer would be a very good choice. I am reading about more and more ladies switching from 250 four stokes to the xtrainer and loving it.

There wont be a perfect bike for her, so you might need to give a little in order to find something that works best for her. 

Thanks for the info. We are both rethinking getting a 2 stroke. She hopped on an older 250 and it scared her with the crazy power band. If we go that way itll be something like the Beta XT

1 hour ago, Wiz636 said:

You said she doesn't want a two stroke, but as a couple others have said, the Beta X-Trainer might be the way to go. Low seat height and a super versatile bike.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was either a Honda CRF150 or a Yamaha TTR125, but it sounds like she might be past a little trail bike.

We are considering a Beta XT. Read lots of positive reviews. 

13 hours ago, Kendall993 said:

So I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but to be brutally honest I dont have hours to read through hundreds of posts, also I feel like bikes that were good a couple years ago may not be the best option now.

My GF has a good amout of seat time both on and off road so she is not a real beginner. She is 5'4 135 lbs. The biggest issue I feel is seat height. She really wants to be able to put both feet down. Second is weight.  Having to pick up a heavy dual sport like a WR will tire her and me out quickly. She doesnt want a 2 stroke. We want our bikes plated which really isnt an issue but just throwing that in. We will be riding mostly trail and forest service roads. 

She is leaning towards a KTM 250 exc-f and lowing it. I thought about getting her a Beta 125 rrs and putting the 183 big bore kit on it. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

I'd get her either a KTM/Husky 500 or 300 with everything you want on it, I mean she wants on it. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kendall993 said:

Thanks for the info. How does she like the rekluse? Ive ridden a couple of bikes with a rekluse and it takes a little getting used to but I like the fact that its almost impossible to stall!

She loves it, our trails have a lot of tech and it gets her through the obstacles much smoother. 

wife is 5'4", and unstoppable on the xtrainer. 2020 models are rumored to be counterbalanced if you want to wait, but vibes are not bad on the non CB bike. 

35.8" seat height stock. 

614918189_KARENMOAB.thumb.jpg.74635885e2c8475efe0514324543f898.jpgimage.png.4a96403ce3ec898c1b755eed14d61565.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, redhurricane said:

wife is 5'4", and unstoppable on the xtrainer. 2020 models are rumored to be counterbalanced if you want to wait, but vibes are not bad on the non CB bike. 

35.8" seat height stock. 

614918189_KARENMOAB.thumb.jpg.74635885e2c8475efe0514324543f898.jpgimage.png.4a96403ce3ec898c1b755eed14d61565.png

Good to know!! I like the graphics!! 

Quick question on plating her XT. Are you required to have turn signals? If so what did you use? In Washington we have to have mirrors, turn signals, break and head light so I will need to add the signals and mirrors to at least pass inspection.

2 hours ago, Leftdagrid said:

She loves it, our trails have a lot of tech and it gets her through the obstacles much smoother. 

Awesome thanks. Where is your favorite place to ride in WA?

2 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

I'd get her either a KTM/Husky 500 or 300 with everything you want on it, I mean she wants on it. 

My thoughts exactly but I want to make sure she knows all the best options. At this point I think its between the KTM or Beta. There is a really nice Husky for sale that I am thinking about picking up for myself. We shall see. 

23 minutes ago, Kendall993 said:

My thoughts exactly but I want to make sure she knows all the best options. At this point I think its between the KTM or Beta. There is a really nice Husky for sale that I am thinking about picking up for myself. We shall see. 

There's a risk, and it's fairly big... She may do "some" riding, but like many gals...it's just not their cup of tea or only want to ride occassionally. So be sure to buy something that you might enjoy. I came very close years ago in buying my wife a street bike, for well over 12k. She would never have used it... and that bike really wasn't my style. Would have taken a bath on it. These new TPI bikes are totally awesome btw, I've had 6 huskies in 4 yrs, this new 300 is amazing. They can really be dialed in to smooth out the hit, or add hit depending on how you wanna ride it. I also have 350 and 450 now. 

22 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

There's a risk, and it's fairly big... She may do "some" riding, but like many gals...it's just not their cup of tea or only want to ride occassionally. So be sure to buy something that you might enjoy. I came very close years ago in buying my wife a street bike, for well over 12k. She would never have used it... and that bike really wasn't my style. Would have taken a bath on it. These new TPI bikes are totally awesome btw, I've had 6 huskies in 4 yrs, this new 300 is amazing. They can really be dialed in to smooth out the hit, or add hit depending on how you wanna ride it. I also have 350 and 450 now. 

Are any of your bikes plated? If so what kit did you use for turn signals? All the bikes we are looking at at least have head and tail lights but some dont have turn signals. And those that do have signals that are bulky and stick out too far for my liking. 

2 hours ago, Kendall993 said:

Good to know!! I like the graphics!! 

Quick question on plating her XT. Are you required to have turn signals? If so what did you use? In Washington we have to have mirrors, turn signals, break and head light so I will need to add the signals and mirrors to at least pass inspection.

the xt comes with all the wiring/switches for turn signals. Juts add the signals themselves. Comes DOT legal from the factory with horn, hi lo beam, brake/tail lights, etc. Just add a mirror and the turn signals. Not sure what plating requirements are in Wa, here in Co you leave with a temporary street plate the moment you leave the dealer. Wife needed the right plate for hers-

dirtee.thumb.jpg.a9dcb11bfe4271fd76fe16336a5e825d.jpg

Edited by redhurricane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redhurricane said:

the xt comes with all the wiring/switches for turn signals. Juts add the signals themselves. Comes DOT legal from the factory with horn, hi lo beam, brake/tail lights, etc. Just add a mirror and the turn signals. Not sure what plating requirements are in Wa, here in Co you leave with a temporary street plate the moment you leave the dealer. Wife needed the right plate for hers-

dirtee.thumb.jpg.a9dcb11bfe4271fd76fe16336a5e825d.jpg

I like the plate!! So I assume you took the rear turn signals off? The laws are similar in WA, from what I have read is some states only require 1 mirror (Idaho for example) but here in WA they require 2. Other than that they are pretty much the same.

3 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

I hear ya. The funny think is my gf has been riding her Harley for years and I have absolutely zero interest of being on 2 wheels on the road with all the knuckle heads on 4 wheels (with the exception of short trips from our camp site to the trail head). She has way more total seat time then me but a lot of that is on the road. I dont think she will do what some do which is take a couple of falls and call it quits. I think if she ends up with the KTM 250 or XT it will be a fun bike for my friends who end up coming out with me when she decides to take the day off.