Mixture screw all the way in **regardless of pilot jet size**

My bike sat for a couple weeks while my ankle healed up from a tip-over (right side). She ran absolutely fine on the way home, I put her up on the stand, and two weeks later she won't idle. I cleaned the carb, nothing. I checked for air leaks, nothing.

I bought a new pilot jet and then she started up, but only with the mixture screw turned all the way in. I put in a leaner pilot jet and she still only idled with it turned all the way in.

Why would it run the same with the mixture screw all the way in regardless of jet size? The fact that it can even idle with a jet two steps leaner than the original size that it ran fine with is confusing.

Possibly drawing fuel vapors in from the crankcase. Does the the oil smell of gasoline? Check if the vacuum line to petcock has fuel in it.

Edited by bucket list
  • Like 1

Yup, what the posts prior to this response said and if not missing the O ring, is it damaged? Maybe the mixture screw over tightened?

Be absolutely certain that the airbox boot is 100% sealed. If not, the fuel screw behaves as described (and the bike runs suboptimally).

Note to self: Pilot jet and Main jet have the same thread.

My first attempt to do the jetting on my bike, I was putting the new main jet into the pilot jet, leaving the main jet the same. Had the same situation that you are describing. Should've known better but still managed to screw it up. I am REALLY good at taking the carb out now! 

Choke completely turning off? Piston not stuck. Cable free?