2016 CRF 450R Leaking Antifreeze from Drain Bolt

I noticed a small puddle of AF on my frame rail the other day, and from what I can see, it looks like its coming from the drain bolt. The bolt was slightly loose, so I tightened back up, and there has still been some wetness around/on the bolt as I've checked it during the week (it's been sitting all week). Fairly sure it's not coming from the weep hole.

Bike has 15 hours on it BTW.

Anyone have experience with this/know what the issue is?

2 hours ago, wingman111 said:

Perhaps you should replace the copper crush washer under the drain bolt.

Was planning on doing that (need to replace the fluid anyway), but wanted to make sure there wasn't something else going on before I order parts, and drain fill.

15 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

look closely and make sure it's the drain and not the weep hole beneath.

After I initially dried the area, the weep hole has been dry, and the only wetness is around the drain bolt.

I just ordered some crush washers, and a couple of O-rings for the plastic bolt in the left radiator, and also a service manual, since the owners manual doesn't show how to drain/fill (refers you to the service manual) .

I figured I'm going to need it anyway, but is it anymore difficult than opening up the radiator(s), and drain bolt, and then filling back up?

4 hours ago, Fitz235 said:

After I initially dried the area, the weep hole has been dry, and the only wetness is around the drain bolt.

I just ordered some crush washers, and a couple of O-rings for the plastic bolt in the left radiator, and also a service manual, since the owners manual doesn't show how to drain/fill (refers you to the service manual) .

I figured I'm going to need it anyway, but is it anymore difficult than opening up the radiator(s), and drain bolt, and then filling back up?

No not really, just tip the bike around a bit to work air out, maybe take it for a little spin, let cool down and top off as needed.

• Helpful 1

39 minutes ago, galligar said:

Its that easy,you really should have known.

The fact that it's not in the owner's manual, and that it specifically refers you to the service manual makes me think that maybe there's more to it. Not sure how I would have known, without someone either answering the question, or reading it in a manual. I could have assumed, but assumptions can lead to failures. Thanks for all your help though.

Youre over thinking it. You dont need a manual to fill your radiator on a dirt bike or replace the crush washer on the drain bolt. Owned 50+ motorcycles and as many cars never needed to check the manual to  fill the radiator. Now if your rebuilding the motor  get the book out(service manual).And a service manual is a nice to have. I never keep a bike for more than 2-3 yrs so the big trouble almost never happens.

Edited by galligar

4 hours ago, Fitz235 said:

The fact that it's not in the owner's manual, and that it specifically refers you to the service manual makes me think that maybe there's more to it. Not sure how I would have known, without someone either answering the question, or reading it in a manual. I could have assumed, but assumptions can lead to failures. Thanks for all your help though.

Youre over thinking it. Pull the screw, let it drain (the radiator cap needs to be off), drain the coolant, replace the screw, refill the coolant. You dont really need to lean it over or do anything to evacuate the cooling system. All youre trying to do is contain the mess of coolant enough to replace the crush washer. Hopefully the cover isn't stripped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Youre over thinking it. Pull the screw, let it drain (the radiator cap needs to be off), drain the coolant, replace the screw, refill the coolant. You dont really need to lean it over or do anything to evacuate the cooling system. All youre trying to do is contain the mess of coolant enough to replace the crush washer. Hopefully the cover isn't stripped.

I assumed that's all it was. It's time to replace the coolant, so I need to drain it all anyways.

Thanks Shawn.

• Like 1