ZF Fork sag procedure

I've never messed with fork sag but with the convenience of externally adjustable preload I don't have an excuse not to.

Anyone familiar with the procedure for setting fork sag on the ZF forks, and what the target race sag should be?

Edit: Since I already have a 4 page thread on a stripped bolt I figure you guys would appreciate a sag thread.

Thanks!

Edited by DirtJunkie69
  • Haha 1

Fork sag is extremely hard to get consistent numbers with stiction. Best to pop out the dust seal and clean/pull fork oil down to help reduce stiction.

• Like 1

It's all a bit of a black art but worth spending time on.

I would suggest that you set the rear sag 1st and reflect any spring rate changes you need to make at both ends. The suggested spring rates for rider body weights  are in the manual or can be downloaded from the Beta USA website.

Once the rear is set, observe the front end and try and get the front to sag at an even rate to the back so that the bike stays level front to back as you apply full weight to the suspension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weantright said:

Fork sag is extremely hard to get consistent numbers with stiction. Best to pop out the dust seal and clean/pull fork oil down to help reduce stiction.

New all in top Sachs forks have noticeably very little stiction, especially on the 2 strokes. 

At least when they're new. 

12 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

30% static sag is your goal.

Take lots of attempted measurements and average them before determining what you have.

Do you mean 30% rider/race sag? So same rule of thumb as shock?

1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

New all in top Sachs forks have noticeably very little stiction, especially on the 2 strokes. 

At least when they're new. 

Correct but you will not get the same number every time measuring. As Kraynial posted need an average and this is from some form of resistant of movement,,, call it stiction.

Stand on the pegs for consistent measurement front and back, bounce the bike and let it settle. I usually lean one side of the handlebars against the wall so I can do it by myself. 1/3 of travel or aprox. 98mm as a median range, then determine what is best for you. There is also an internal ring to adjust preload, separate from the external adjuster in case you need more range.