Rear wheel center spacer help

I have a 2000 DRZ 400 s. I went to replace the rear bearing and found no center spacer and i have been running it like that for at least 2 years (when i bought it and put about 4000km on it. All offroad). Seeing I already have the bearings I wanted to create the center spacer out of mild steel pipe.

1 - do you see anything wrong with doing this?

2 - can someone give me the demensions for the rear wheel cneter spacer

Thank for checking out my questions.

I echo the go oem suggestion: water does ingress here frequently, and your steel will be a serious corrosion problem.  Additionally, you would really need to have the exact dimensions as this is a critical part of the rear bearings bolt up.  I am astounded that you did not have bearing failure in the past: if your rear axle was torqued to the full spec, with no internal spacer, then the lateral pressure on the axle and the side spacers would transfer to the inner races of the bearing sets (all 3) and they would have nothing inside the hub to push back, so the inner races would have all been displaced towards the inside of the hub, putting terrible side forces on the balls in the sets of bearings.  I omitted a spacer once on a KLR and it destroyed the bearings in 3 km!

• Like 1