1983 XT250 - Whats it worth?

Hello, 

I have a 1983 XT 250 that I have not used in 10 years and sadly, I have decided to sell.

It has always been kept inside and other than some dust/dirt from sitting is in good condition. 

Being an old bike, I am not sure what I should be expecting to sell it for - Any insight would be appreciated.

I have the original owners manual, etc. and the bike is all original.  Note: I am in Canada.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't know about Canada but I bought my '81 XT250 in Alabama (rough shape) for $500 and a '82 XT250 in Chicago (decent shape, guy just didn't know what he was doing-electrical issues) for $300. Pictures would help! I know you said 10 years, so I'm assuming it doesn't run? Also helps if it still has all the fairings. 

Edited by SirTwanz

Thanks for your input.  I have attached a pic.   All is intact on the bike.  it was running when I parked it, I imagine with a carb clean, it will fire up. 

I would want to change fork seals, engine oil and tighten cables, etc before riding though...

Thanks again, 

image.png.1a64b210fedfd96fb4cf6790ee1fd1ca.png

On 9/27/2019 at 6:16 AM, ONTMXZ said:

Hello, 

I have a 1983 XT 250 that I have not used in 10 years and sadly, I have decided to sell.

It has always been kept inside and other than some dust/dirt from sitting is in good condition. 

Being an old bike, I am not sure what I should be expecting to sell it for - Any insight would be appreciated.

I have the original owners manual, etc. and the bike is all original.  Note: I am in Canada.

Thanks in advance for your help!

That bike would sell for $800-1000 USD where I'm at if it has a title.

Just going by the pic you posted, the red-with-white color scheme was sold in the USA for the 1982 model year.

The USA color scheme for the 1983 model year was all white with some striping decals.

I would take the VIN to a Yamaha dealer and ask somebody knowledgeable there to tell you what model year it actually is.

The 1982 model was designated XT250J.

1983 was designated XT250K.

Edited by YZEtc

5 hours ago, YZEtc said:

Just going by the pic you posted, the red-with-white color scheme was sold in the USA for the 1982 model year.

The USA color scheme for the 1983 model year was all white with some striping decals.

I would take the VIN to a Yamaha dealer and ask somebody knowledgeable there to tell you what model year it actually is.

The 1982 model was designated XT250J.

1983 was designated XT250K.

Thanks for the info - This is interesting!

My registration (title) is 1983.  The owners manual is for a XT250K, but does not indicate a model year per se.  The inside cover notes it is a first edition print 1982.  The Canada market must have used the Red/Yellow scheme for 1983?

17 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

That bike would sell for $800-1000 USD where I'm at if it has a title.

Great - This is about what I was thinking - Thanks for the info.   Now to find a buyer!  Ha.

18 hours ago, SirTwanz said:

Where ya at in Canada in relation to Chicago? 

Likely 11-12 Hour drive....I am 1.5 hours north from the border at upstate NY

z.Dang! I was gonna say id be interested. I have the '81 and '82, thought an '83 would make a good addition. Never even seen an '84 go up for sale near me unfortunately.

49 minutes ago, SirTwanz said:

z.Dang! I was gonna say id be interested. I have the '81 and '82, thought an '83 would make a good addition. Never even seen an '84 go up for sale near me unfortunately.

Haha, yeah, it is a bit far!  Thanks for your interest, hopefully one comes available closer to you so you can add to your collection.  

I have an 83 that I bought for $200 some 10 or 12 years ago, kind of like yours sat for a long time.  I had to clean out the fuel system, new tires and brakes, redid the seat and also did the fork seals, I think I put roughly $400 into it and a lot of time but its been a great bike.  I would put its current value at around $1000.  This being said if you do some work and get it running and get the cosmetics looking good you will get way more then a non running machine.

good afternoon, respectfully how much is the minor value of the motorcycle, and where is it located, that you have documentation jimarcolll@gmail.com

In Alberta, Canada, pre-Covid, I bought a 1981 XT250 in a bit rougher shape than that, torn seat, beat up a bit but all there, headlight not working, guy was asking $1500cad eventually settled on $1400 cad.   The kijiji ad had hundreds of looks in 2 days. Lived way out in the country away from the big city.  When I went to look at/buy it, it started right up on the second kick, and purred along nicely.  Obviously a had recent tune up.

Now that I have the 1981 XT250, I'd like to find the workshop manual on pdf for it.  Anyone out there have one please?

And further for the 1981 XT250, I'd like to find a headlight replacement that is the glass/reflector and replaceable bulb, rather than the dual filament sealed-beam thats in there now.  Its 6volt nominal.  Any suggestions?

Edited by jiggseob