RR300 2017 Racing Gearbox oil change

Hello, I couldn't find a topic for this exact bike model so I decided to create a new topic.

I am doing the first(for me) gearbox oil change and according to the manual I should pour 850ml of oil and then look through the oil check hole. However I have 1 dumb question.. I filled these 850ml but no oil is coming out of the oil check hole, on my previous bike - KTM EXC300, according to the manual once it starts leaking slowly I should stop pouring. But on the Beta no oil is coming out. I insterted a zip-tie in the hole to see if there would be any oil on it and it does.. How should I know I have the correct oil level?

The oil check plug is not applicable anymore. The cases remained the same while the internals changed.  Consider it a 'minimum' levlel check, if anything.

Drain, measure, pour.

Trans oil does not burn, or evaporate (as quickly) as engine oil, so the level should not be dropping, so there should be no reason at all to check levels.

If it is dropping, it's going into the motor side from a bad seal.....and your motor oil will start puking into the air box.

I just watched this - 

Seems it has to start leaking.. This looks like 2017 standard edition

Transmissions don't need a super precise qty of oil to operate correctly. As all have said, get the engine warm, drop oil, refill with 800-900ml oil and go ride!!!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hoosier-Daddy said:

My dealer said to just put the whole whole liter in and ride it.
2017 300rr

Sounds good worst that will happen is alittle bit spits out the breather

Sounds good worst that will happen is alittle bit spits out the breather

Yep that happens. Tube is routed onto the skid plate. Lubes it up between frame and skid. Win,Win!
I have yet to remove the check bolt since I have owned it and ‘alot’ of oil goes into the drain pan every time I pull the drain bolt.
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:33 PM, shrubitup said:

measure the quantity that you put in. Use a ratio rite or Maxima quick to mix container.

THIS!!

It is good to be in the habit of adding the right amount of oil.

Many gearboxes and engines without filters (splash oiling) rely on slingers to transfer oil to the top of the case. If you submerge the slinger, it cannot do it's job and the top of the assembly will starve for oil.

To much oil in other applications can blow seals.

• Like 2

Don't worry just pour in at least 800. I have the Rekluse cover and just add a quart. On my 200 I drain and add around 700. It isn't rocket science or anything to obsess over. I would locktite that stupid check bolt and never worry about it again.

• Helpful 1