Bike for the wife/beginner

I'm looking to get a bike for my wife.  She has gained some comfort learning on my restored ct70 and then getting some laps on a pw80, now I want to get a bike that's more her size (5'6" probably 130lbs) but want to get a semi auto bike I don't think a clutch would work out to well for her.  Any recommendations on a good bike for her to ride?  I think kick starter would be fine, just the clutch is a bit too much for her right now.  Riding would be limited just fun cruising around going over jumps/hills and maybe getting both tires off the ground barely every once in awhile so suspension isn't that big of an issue i'd imagine.  

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, here is the problem.  Just about the only automatic trail bikes are for little kids such as the CRF70F (CRF110F) or KLX 110, TTR 110 etc and the big problem they have for adult riders is that the 14"/12" wheels get hung up on the smallest obstacles and make it very easy to drop or crash on uneven ground (e.g. anything harder than smooth dirt road).  The next size up in bikes is 17/14" wheels and then 19"/16" wheels and then finally full size bikes with 21"/18 wheels.  All of these bikes have 4 to 5 speed transmissions and clutches.  Rekluse might make an auto clutch for some of these models but an autoclutch can be expensive and she will still need to shift gears, just not have to use the clutch.

Based on her size and inexperience, I would say something like a CRF100F or CRF125 Big Wheel would be a good size for her (19"/16" wheels).  There are also KLX140/KLX140L, DRZ-125/DRZ-125L, TTR-125E/TTR-125L that you could consider.

FYI...my 5' 5" daughter started on CRF100F --> KX100 --> KDX200.  All have clutches. Honestly not all that hard to learn.  The Honda CRF70F/CRF110F is basically the modern day version of the old Honda CT70.

Take a look at the Kawasaki KLX140G or the KLX140L for your wife.  Adult size bikes can be pretty intimidating between seat height and weight.  The KLX140 comes in several sizes to fit just about every rider (140, 140L and 140G).  The weight and seat height is very doable.  The 140 can easily be modified and can grow with her as she gets better (if she even needs it) - Big bore kit, heavier front and rear springs, etc.  My son has a 140L and stock its darn good for trail riding.  He goes everywhere I do on my YZ250FX.  Very forgiving low end grunt, electric start, plush suspension, low seat height, disc brakes front and rear, etc.  My son has 90 hours on his bike and its had zero problems.  The only thing you will have to address is jetting.  Living in Colorado I’m sure the jetting will need some work.  The bike is very cold blooded stock but once warm it starts and runs flawlessly.  I just did the first major maintenance on the bike after 90 hours (new tires, tubes, chain, front and rear sprocket and brake pads).  Other than that (zero issues).  Cosmetically, the first week I purchased the bike for my son I swapped out the front fender with a KX85/100 fender - it bolts right up and looks better.   New the bike is about $3300-$3500.  Good thing too is the bikes hold their value well should you want to sell it.

https://www.cycletrader.com/Kawasaki-Klx-140l/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Kawasaki|2318344&model=KLX|764857969&trim=140L|1982

https://www.cycletrader.com/Kawasaki-Klx-140g/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Kawasaki|2318344&model=KLX|764857969&trim=140G|39060

1636F602-7848-4F75-8339-5E44D251A75B.jpeg

Edited by R1peacock
  • Like 1

Seat height seems to be a major sticking point with new female riders. (Sorry about the "bold" lock. It seems to have a mind of it's own...) 

So, with this in mind, I suggest Kawasaki's "Super Sherpa."