Welcome Thread for new Beta Buyer's to Check In

Since we have lot's of new neighbors recently, and lot's considering Beta, it would be nice to hear from those of you thinking of tasting the Red Kool-Aid for the 1st time and your story about what brought you here. 

We're glad to have some new fresh input around here, and many of us have been conversing for years now, although many are choosing other formats such as Facebook a lot of us "old timers" still prefer the comfortable home here at TT in a traditional forum format. 

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 3

I’m new to Beta and just ordered a 2020 390RRS BYOB. I went to a demo day with the goal of determining the smallest RRS that would suit my needs for agility and power.

I’m riding a 2006 CRF450X that is modded and runs great, but is a handful in tight technical stuff.

I am eagerly waiting for Christmas and emailing Beta occasionally to ask if other items will be available for my BYOB

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

8 minutes ago, Gumbybronco said:

I’m new to Beta and just ordered a 2020 390RRS BYOB. I went to a demo day with the goal of determining the smallest RRS that would suit my needs for agility and power.

I’m riding a 2006 CRF450X that is modded and runs great, but is a handful in tight technical stuff.

I am eagerly waiting for Christmas and emailing Beta occasionally to ask if other items will be available for my BYOB

When I did the demo my favorite was the 500, the 390 was 2nd because it has the same type of power delivery. Great choice and keep us posted! What mods are you considering?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

When I did the demo my favorite was the 500, the 390 was 2nd because it has the same type of power delivery. Great choice and keep us posted! What mods are you considering?

Here’s my master list of ideas and some have been added to BYOB, others can wait, some aren’t available yet.

Beta 390 RRS

Voyager Pro

TM clutch cylinder guard 

TM inner subframe protector

TM chain block 

Tubeliss

Tires? Goldentyre 

Sprocket hybrid or sunlite z wave

+15mm shift lever or later?

Is Kayaba CC available?

Fork springs 

Shock spring 

Xtrig coil adjuster

Air filter 

Air filter cover

Oil filters?

Steel oil gears available?

Rack available?

Radiator guards

OTHER 

Seat concepts 

AXP Skid plate 

Larger tank

Later:

Axle pulls

Wheel Bearing covers

Lithium battery 

Small jump pack 

Midwest levers

Saddle bags?

Tools?

USB port 

Wheels?

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Gumbybronco said:

Here’s my master list of ideas and some have been added to BYOB, others can wait, some aren’t available yet.

Beta 390 RRS

Voyager Pro

TM clutch cylinder guard 

TM inner subframe protector

TM chain block 

Tubeliss

Tires? Goldentyre 

Sprocket hybrid or sunlite z wave

+15mm shift lever or later?

Is Kayaba CC available?

Fork springs 

Shock spring 

Xtrig coil adjuster

Air filter 

Air filter cover

Oil filters?

Steel oil gears available?

Rack available?

Radiator guards

OTHER 

Seat concepts 

AXP Skid plate 

Larger tank

Later:

Axle pulls

Wheel Bearing covers

Lithium battery 

Small jump pack 

Midwest levers

Saddle bags?

Tools?

USB port 

Wheels?

WoW! You are going for the most tricked out Throne! Kran will have to sell his KTM and Yamaha inventory to keep up? It looks like you've been checking out Beta's for a while if  you have all that figured out. I think the RRS comes with the best Voyager already, not sure about the Pro?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After a not so good start I start to like you JD 😏  No, honestly. 

I wanted a Beta since I started dirt bike riding a decade ago. But all my friends are &%$#@!ing KTM nerds and so I got one too. And another one and another one and... Then I made a mistake and bought a 2017 with a crappy Mikuni, got it running very well after swapping the Mook vs a Keihin. Probably the best 2 stroke engine I ever had. Then bought a TPI, which was crap and I sold it after 8 riding hours and probably 100 workshop hours. And yes, I still think they are crap. Anything I only can repair with help of a laptop computer is crap in my opinion. And yes, I am old, grumpy and odd. And ugly. But I was uglier when I was younger. My mom said I was so ugly that she fed me from distance using a sling shot.

Did I say I always wanted a Beta? Well I bought a GasGas after I had tested a 2018 Beta. Found the engine vibrations bad, worse than the Gassers. The engine had lovely grunt down low, but it was rather flat and did not want to rev really. But what annoyed me most was the strange fork that was soft in the first third then got harsh and uncomfy. Now that the 2020 is here I am flashed. It has everything I like: a carb, KYB forks, a good (I assume) shock, a slim look and an engine with few vibes. And its not a KTM, a gardener KTM or GasKTMGas. I will not buy anything that lets KTM earn something from me :-)

I will buy one end of 2020 (if my missus slips me the cash) :D

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like 4

After a not so good start I start to like you JD :smirk:  No, honestly. 
I wanted a Beta since I started dirt bike riding a decade ago. But all my friends are &%$#@!ing KTM nerds and so I got one too. And another one and another one and... Then I made a mistake and bought a 2017 with a crappy Mikuni, got it running very well after swapping the Mook vs a Keihin. Probably the best 2 stroke engine I ever had. Then bought a TPI, which was crap and I sold it after 8 riding hours and probably 100 workshop hours. And yes, I still think they are crap. Anything I only can repair with help of a laptop computer is crap in my opinion. And yes, I am old, grumpy and odd. And ugly. But I was uglier when I was younger. My mom said I was so ugly that she fed me from distance using a sling shot.
Did I say I always wanted a Beta? Well I bought a GasGas after I had tested a 2018 Beta. Found the engine vibrations bad, worse than the Gassers. The engine had lovely grunt down low, but it was rather flat and did not want to rev really. But what annoyed me most was the strange fork that was soft in the first third then got harsh and uncomfy. Now that the 2020 is here I am flashed. It has everything I like: a carb, KYB forks, a good (I assume) shock, a slim look and an engine with few vibes. And its not a KTM, a gardener KTM or GasKTMGas. I will not buy anything that lets KTM earn something from me :-)
I will buy one end of 2020 (if my missus slips me the cash) [emoji3]

Yes, although you are new this year you have become a regular around here already, it’s always good to have another experienced opinion on stuff, especially someone from Austria who seems to have the inside scoop with some local dealers selling Beta’s :-) have you decided what model you are going after yet?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

GasKTMGas

Are you hearing anything about how this might look now for GasGas after KTM'S financial commitment? 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

... And ugly. But I was uglier when I was younger. My mom said I was so ugly that she fed me from distance using a sling shot.     ........ I will buy one end of 2020 (if my missus slips me the cash) :D

OK, this does not make sense but you must have your way... ?

But on a serious note, I admire your honesty and braveness for your criticism on your national - perhaps- brand. You can't be a leader if you are not a nice guy and Beta certainly knows that. And being on the automotive sector for many years, when started with Ford the first thing that I've learned was that your next sale starts from the garage. 

And you remind me alot of the Austrian national technical director of a euro brand that we visited in 2002 to discuss and work on some fault solutions for a certain model. 

He was regularly sending back to the 'centrals' tech reports and criticism about design flaws, he was understanding nothing about big company politics to say the least.... 

Top guy ?

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It has everything I like: a carb, KYB forks, a good (I assume) shock, a slim look and an engine with few vibes.

like you said, should be minimal vibes with a counter balanced engine now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

like you said, should be minimal vibes with a counter balanced engine now.

At least we can expect that. If its as good as the KTM's we will know soon. 

8 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Yes, although you are new this year you have become a regular around here already, it’s always good to have another experienced opinion on stuff, especially someone from Austria who seems to have the inside scoop with some local dealers selling Beta’s :-) have you decided what model you are going after yet?

It's funny that I start thinking about buying a new bike so early though I know it's not gonna happen before August 2020.

We have zillions of KTM dealers -no wonder- but we have very(!) few Beta dealers. And if I say dealer I mean real dealers with a heart for the brand, a garage for service and good knowledge of the brand and the bikes.

One of the few good ones I know very well as he has been riding Beta's on national champion A level, E3. He would very frankly tell me that I don't need a race edition as I am not riding good enough to say I need one :-)

However, I like the color scheme of the standard 2020 better than that of the RE. I don't need the bling the RE comes with, but I do like the KYB suspension though I don't know yet if it works as good as we all assume, but time will tell. I am not sure if I like OI or not but probably see only the negative points (more weight, additional source of trouble etc.). And, after I have ridden a 200 (KTM) I am not sure if I should get a 300 again or better try a 250.... But I have quite a long time to decide.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, firffighter said:

Are you hearing anything about how this might look now for GasGas after KTM'S financial commitment? 

Austrian newspapers say they (KTM) will have GasGas as third enduro line in their showrooms soon. To be honest I bet that this is proper BS. Its just not logical nor does it make sense form a sales point of view...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, dirtbird said:

OK, this does not make sense but you must have your way... ?

But on a serious note, I admire your honesty and braveness for your criticism on your national - perhaps- brand. You can't be a leader if you are not a nice guy and Beta certainly knows that. And being on the automotive sector for many years, when started with Ford the first thing that I've learned was that your next sale starts from the garage. 

And you remind me alot of the Austrian national technical director of a euro brand that we visited in 2002 to discuss and work on some fault solutions for a certain model. 

He was regularly sending back to the 'centrals' tech reports and criticism about design flaws, he was understanding nothing about big company politics to say the least.... 

Top guy ?

Tell me about it! I agree and its easy for me as I come from the automotive sector as well, worked quite a while with Chrysler when they started serious business in Europe, mainly Germany and Austria (Eurostar Factory for the Voyager Vans). whatever job I had I never was favored or wildly popular. I hate to beat around the bush, if I think something has to be corrected I say it and I never was very diplomatic. Only people who liked me were my secretary and my team (between 40 and 10 members).

• Like 1

Currently on a 2015 yamaha 250fx. Would really like to try and off road 2 stroke. A few guys I know have Beta’s and love em. Im not a fan of the KTM club.
I like that the Beta has a fully adjustable power valve. My biggest concerns are vibes and power delivery - I’ve never spent much time on a 2 stroke.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:46 AM, Doc Brown said:

It's funny that I start thinking about buying a new bike so early though I know it's not gonna happen before August 2020.

Not at all. I was looking at 2t's in 2013 before I plunked the cash down 350 days ago on my 2018.

I knew something big was happening with KTM in late 2016 because the sales guy was crazy ambitious to try and sell me an end-of-year bike.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, XRalways said:

My biggest concerns are vibes and power delivery

Is your Yamaha counter balanced?

Two strokes deliver tractor like power from idle to red line.

46 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Two strokes deliver tractor like power from idle to red line.

that's usually said about a four stroke, do modern 2t's not have a powerband? no powervalve?  or is it a higher compression ratio and a heavier flywheel?

5 minutes ago, kyledfx said:

that's usually said about a four stroke, do modern 2t's not have a powerband? no powervalve?  or is it a higher compression ratio and a heavier flywheel?

It's a mythical beast that got it's start back in the air cooled 4t days. Older 4t's didn't rev out, but their owners always claimed 'but they make torque'.

Not understanding what horsepower really is keeps the myth alive. 2t's fire once per revolution, 4t's every other. That's why 2t's make more torque.

This comparison of two Yamaha 250's exemplifies what I'm trying to say best. They both make 50hp, but the 2t does it 5k lower in the rev range, so what must that mean?

https://motocrossactionmag.com/you-asked-for-it-motocross-actions-two-stroke-versus-four-stroke-shootout-yamaha-yz250-versus-yamaha-yz250f/

• Like 1

from your link...The two engines might have the same peak power, but the power curves are worlds apart. The YZ250 two-stroke signs off 5000 rpm sooner than the thumper. It has a power-now feeling. It hits hard, signs off fast and uses its burst of torque to shoot it out of corners.                 not trying to rehash the old 4t 2t endless debate but....calling a 2t a tractor?  the bikes in my garage right now[xt350, ks125, kdx200] .   theres a pretty good chance im just a relic from the past too.......lol