Looking for a nice rear...

...tire

She can handle being out in the cold, doesn't cry when the going gets rough and rocky, doesn't need to be replaced quickly...will keep her good looks... I don't care if she's a spender...prefer that she is a bit of a loose type from time to time when it gets time for a little mud rasslin.  

The hard compound tires are about to falter as the temps start to dip. I need something that can handle the cold but also needs some knobs to get through loose terrain. 

I have a couple rides on the Goldentyre 369x gummy and liked it a lot but it's not very good in loose stuff, or on open slabs of rocks. Does fine in roots, hard trail, craggy rocks. 

13 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

Lots of tire threads, some very recent. 

You've basically described a "gummy" knobby.

I read the Tusk Recon Hybrid thread. Tire's cheap but appears to wear really quick. 

The trouble with Tire threads is that the comments outside the PNW don't apply. 

I've heard enough good stuff about Shinko Cheater tires to warrant trying one. But there are two of them?

I do use TUbliss 

• Like 1

Yeah, I just meant in this subforum, there are lots of threads.

Kenda Ibex - haven't tried, good reviews though.

IRC VE33S Gekkota - haven't tried, good reviews though.

IRC IX-09 GEKKOTA - haven't tried it yet - super soft carcass, not good for Tubliss, super soft rubber. Probably phenomenal in hard enduro type stuff, but likely won't last very long.

Dunlop AT81EX - haven't tried it - $$$ - super soft, wears out faster than the rest listed here. Fantastic grip though. 

Shinko 525 Cheater - taller knobs, more knob spacing, better all-around than the 505, but maybe doesn't last as long. Better in the mud and loose stuff. My go-to tire right now. Get it in 120, avoid the 110.

Shinko 505 Cheater - tighter knob spacing, more of a hybrid trials tire. I personally won't be trying it. 

Tusk Recon - seems very very close to the 505 in design and compound. I probably won't be trying one due to that. 

Motoz Arena Hybrid Gummy - seems to get good reviews. 

Edited by jrodicus100
  • Like 1

Tires I've used.

Kenda Ibex: Good grip over about anything. Wears quickly , knobs start to rip off. Vague cornering and not good at speed. Used two of them and I will not buy again.

Shinko 525 cheater: used about 5 or 6 of them in both 110 and 120. 110 runs small the 120 slightly larger than a average 110. Great grip ,good overall performance ,semi fast wear. If you're a tire spinner and hard on tires don't buy this.  This is my go to winter tire. 

Shinko 505 cheater: great tire for rock and hard dirt conditions likes to slide with hard braking. Will pack with thick mud/clay. Good tire if you don't ride aggressive. Good summer tire. Better life than the 525.

Tusk recon: have one to try, not mounted yet. Looks like a cross between the 505 and 525.

That's my experience with the gummy tires.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Tires I've used.

Kenda Ibex: Good grip over about anything. Wears quickly , knobs start to rip off. Vague cornering and not good at speed. Used two of them and I will not buy again.

Shinko 525 cheater: used about 5 or 6 of them in both 110 and 120. 110 runs small the 120 slightly larger than a average 110. Great grip ,good overall performance ,semi fast wear. If you're a tire spinner and hard on tires don't buy this.  This is my go to winter tire. 

Shinko 505 cheater: great tire for rock and hard dirt conditions likes to slide with hard braking. Will pack with thick mud/clay. Good tire if you don't ride aggressive. Good summer tire. Better life than the 525.

Tusk recon: have one to try, not mounted yet. Looks like a cross between the 505 and 525.

That's my experience with the gummy tires.

My experience with Kenda is that they fall apart and/or eventually fail prematurely at their intended job. Both Parker DT's I have had failed, and the Shinko the Kenda 216 Fatty copy the side knobs started tearing off wayyy before the tire was worn out (before it was broken in even).     

As for rear tires, if I can't make it up something it's clearly the tire, so I want to avoid the "no excuses" perfect tire!

Edit - oops that was the Shinko knock off of the fatty. I stand corrected my front Parker DT so far hasn't failed. Sitting in my garage waiting for the next D100.

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 2

Shinko 525 sounds like what I'm looking for. I've been jaded by Shinko's reputation for cheating with GT and the poor life of their front tire fatty. I've just heard way too many folks rave about that tire to not give it a shot. 

I've run the gt333 and liked it, but when it got cold last year it's a bit too stiff. 

I bought the motoz hybrid tire but my dealer couldn't get it mounted on TUbliss. Turns out you can, but it's like wrestling with alligators. 

7 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I've run the gt333 and liked it, but when it got cold last year it's a bit too stiff. 

I know you've enjoyed the GT333, I agree it's great all around tire. Just curious if you ran lower pressure during lower temps to help? 

BTW, I've run the IBEX, 505 Cheated, GT333, MotoZ Arena gummy,  Kenda Equilibrium, and just finished off the new IRV VE33S. 

Ran them all 500+ miles in wide variety of terrain and conditions. All worked great and each with pos and neg. 

Best "all around" was probably the IBEX. I don't tire spin, so mine lasted over 500 miles without chunking. 

I just put on another GT333 right now. Hard to beat for most NW riding. 

Let us know how the Recon does. 

2 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I know you've enjoyed the GT333, I agree it's great all around tire. Just curious if you ran lower pressure during lower temps to help? 

BTW, I've run the IBEX, 505 Cheated, GT333, MotoZ Arena gummy,  Kenda Equilibrium, and just finished off the new IRV VE33S. 

Ran them all 500+ miles in wide variety of terrain and conditions. All worked great and each with pos and neg. 

Best "all around" was probably the IBEX. I don't tire spin, so mine lasted over 500 miles without chunking. 

I just put on another GT333 right now. Hard to beat for most NW riding. 

Let us know how the Recon does. 

What did you think of the VE33s?

Yeah, I had the gt333 down to zeroish. Great until it was 40ish degrees or less. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I ran the VE33's. (on big 4T's) For years they were my preferred rear tire. They worked very well in a variety of terrain from loose gravel to hard pack and rocks. They seem to run slightly narrower than some other brands so you may be able to get away with a wider one than the MFG. recommends.

38 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I put it on in Spring. Really good in soft or looser soils. Has a larger, agressive  knob profile, which is great for braking and downhills. It bounce a bit in the rock gardens. Excellent wear. 

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Shinko 525 sounds like what I'm looking for. I've been jaded by Shinko's reputation for cheating with GT and the poor life of their front tire fatty. I've just heard way too many folks rave about that tire to not give it a shot. 

I bought the motoz hybrid tire but my dealer couldn't get it mounted on TUbliss. Turns out you can, but it's like wrestling with alligators. 

I ran the MotoZ hybrid with tubliss and it was great except for steep decent braking. I am now running the Shinko 525 with Tubliss and it works great all around. Im not much of a wheel spinner since I ran trials type tires for years so the tread is lasting well on the knobby. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

?

A4DV_1_2018112893828568.jpg.d687c978f8c7a81a33b0217474244e38.jpg

the terraflex is not a bad tire. In fact, the hillclimbers usually buy up nearly the entire yearly run.  As for an enduro tire, it's pretty good. I ran two of them down to nubs on my 450 and other than being a tank back there, it was good. So much rubber that it acts like a flywheel weight and smooths out trail flotsam. The problem I had was the crown would wear off pretty quick if ya ran pavement, which left a wide footprint and subsequent slick hard pan would get dangerous. It just wouldn't bite. I'd run one again on a big bore.

• Like 1