First Husqvarna, 2nd TPI - 2020 300i 10 Hour Impressions

Maybe 12 hour review, somewhere around that. I wanted to wait a little bit longer but my issues are not getting resolved and looking for some help.

Stats: 6'3" 217 without gear 250 with gear 30 Expert Racer 80% hard enduro 20% hare scarmbles/enduro

First, I'll start out with positives about the bike:

-I love the extra stuff you get with the Husky over the KTM. Billet clamps, map switch, anodized covers etc. Even the plastic is well thought out and kinda cool how it attaches.

-Feels a tad lighter than my 19 and seems to have a real stable feel to it

-Brakes seem to be on par with my 19 and work well

-Power is smooth and controllable. Gas mileage and oil usage seem to be less than my 19

-The wires and hoses no longer look like a spiderweb. Very neat and tidy

-Large amount of my guards and parts from my 19 transfer over, forks, wheels, rotor guards etc

-When I tested my buddies stock 2020 with stiffer springs I thought it was magical in the rocks but maybe a little soft still. Stability was excellent and still turned well. I'm running KYB.

Now for the negatives:

-The magura clutch seems to have a different engagement point than the Brembo on my 19. With one finger pulled in the clutch drags and the bike stalls in the most inconvenient times. It's enraging. Do I need to swap in a Brembo clutch? Different lever needed? This never happened on my 19

-The stupid powervalve cover is still; leaking even after I sealed with some grey rtv. I think I'm going to call my dealer and see if they have the parts in stock and I'll change them myself.

-Even though the stock motor is smooth and easy to ride its slooooooow. It also sounds super choked up. I'm used to the red spring, head and snappy shorty on my 19. RK head and shorty on order. The sound of the bike annoys me when I ride. Not sure of what pipe I'm getting but it's coming down to the HGS or DEP, PCs are great but too thin to blow out a lot. Never liked the FMF but if I come across a used I'll probably grab one. Still not sure if I can blow the stock pipe out yet since I haven't smashed it.

-There is some discoloration of the header which leads me to believe that the bike is a tad lean. Will post a pic.

This is not necessarily negative as much as I'm looking to vent and get some feedback - Suspension thoughts and feelings:

I went to a 5.4 rear spring (same as my buddies 2020) on the bike and got the sag set 105ish with 32 static. I've put my KYBs from my 19 onto the bike that are unchanged. I cannot get happy with the feel. I feel like the rear end is a little better than my 19, seems to stay a bit more hooked up and less stinkbug but I'm not 100% happy with it.

I've gone out all the way on compression and sped up the rebound all the way on the forks -This works well in the rock gardens and keeps the front end on the ground. On the shock I've gone softer on HSC and LSC and gone slower on rebound. I haven't found the magic setting where I'm 100% comfortable. I feel the rear packs a bit and the front feels harsh in a lot of spots.

On my turn track, which has some jumps and sand I go in on comp, slow down rebound, and on rear I'm keeping the rebound the same and going a little more on both comps.

The first thing I notice going from the Xplor to my KYB was the positive front end feel of the Xplor. It feels like it sticks like velcro and I can do my nasty rocky downhill trail with little effort while on the KYB the fork wants to deflect off rocks and kill me.

I bought another set of KYBs that are valved a little softer and have some softer springs. That fork seems to be better for the rock gardens and excellent on my rocky single track but way soft for the turn track. My suspension guy doesn't know what to do and I seem to be one of the only riders complaining. It doesn't help that he's over an hour away.

I'm worried that I'm asking too much of my suspension. I want to blast rock gardens a la an EX track but still be able to do a fast harescramble or hit a few jumps. I've spent the last few weeks playing with clickers and feel like I'm understanding more and more of what I want and the changes the clickers make. It's just not coming together.

I was happy on my 17 300XC with the same forks but been thinking maybe more weight is causing me issues. I was about 205 without gear and never really carried much on rides besides a camelbak. I've been back at it with lifting heavy and mountain biking and I'm an easy 10 lbs heavier now. Plus, I have an Ogio vest that I wear where I carry tools, a ton of water (in summer) and puts 250+ ready to ride.

Who on here understands what I'm going through and can offer some advice? Is it possible to be happy in the slow techy and semi-fast with one setting? Am I ass backwards on my thinking of the clickers? Should I pay someone to come ride with me and play with clickers? I've already been told that while the xplor is awesome for the slow stuff it aint going to work on the fast stuff. Is the Xplor the answer for the slow stuff and maybe have KYB for the fast stuff? I'd rather not have two sets of forks.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

2019-09-25_18_31_46.jpg

• Like 1

I've had both a 2019 and 2020 TE300i.  The 2020 comes from the factory significantly softer hitting that the 2019. After the bike was broken in, I took it back to the dealer, they updated the computer map and adjusted the power valve out 3.5 turns. It's an entirely different bike now. Super strong. I can ride it in a higher gear than when it was new.

the 2020 xplor fork is definitely better than the 2019.  it stays up in the stroke better.  I put a dal soggio xp1 kit in the 2019 fork and it help quite a bit.  the new fork might not be that good but it's still great for the type of trail riding I'm doing. 

12 minutes ago, Tony T said:

I've had both a 2019 and 2020 TE300i.  The 2020 comes from the factory significantly softer hitting that the 2019. After the bike was broken in, I took it back to the dealer, they updated the computer map and adjusted the power valve out 3.5 turns. It's an entirely different bike now. Super strong. I can ride it in a higher gear than when it was new.

the 2020 xplor fork is definitely better than the 2019.  it stays up in the stroke better.  I put a dal soggio xp1 kit in the 2019 fork and it help quite a bit.  the new fork might not be that good but it's still great for the type of trail riding I'm doing. 

I think I'm going to play with the screw tomorrow. Good stuff. 

Just got back from a ride, this time with the xplor forks. I think this is what I'm going to start messing with. It felt great. Going to get the right springs and look at the Kreft revalve control. 

20190927_163636.jpg

Just got back from a ride, this time with the xplor forks. I think this is what I'm going to start messing with. It felt great. Going to get the right springs and look at the Kreft revalve control. 

Have two bikes with the Kreft Revalve Contol. Both AER forks.
They are incredible, through rocks or pound big sand whoops.
Highly recommended.
Hopefully the Kreft RC in the Xplores is similar performance.

I hate to be a fan boy, not really, but I love what Kreft did with the suspension on my 2018 250 XCW. I’m 6’3” 210 lbs and knew the bike would need at least heavier springs when I bought it. I had them do RC and micro finish. Well worth it, and for me being a dropout from the school of suspension setup, their chart and tuning instructions are perfect. I run their base settings most of the year riding mtn Singletrack, but when it’s winter and we shift to riding fast whooped out trails in the high desert it’s easy to adjust with their clickers and dial up a setting that works great. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, farmboybunk said:

Have two bikes with the Kreft Revalve Contol. Both AER forks.
They are incredible, through rocks or pound big sand whoops.
Highly recommended.
Hopefully the Kreft RC in the Xplores is similar performance.

Thanks for the feedback Farmboy! Did you keep the Air or switch to the spring kit?

14 hours ago, AndyD1 said:

I hate to be a fan boy, not really, but I love what Kreft did with the suspension on my 2018 250 XCW. I’m 6’3” 210 lbs and knew the bike would need at least heavier springs when I bought it. I had them do RC and micro finish. Well worth it, and for me being a dropout from the school of suspension setup, their chart and tuning instructions are perfect. I run their base settings most of the year riding mtn Singletrack, but when it’s winter and we shift to riding fast whooped out trails in the high desert it’s easy to adjust with their clickers and dial up a setting that works great. 

Awesome. Is this with the revalve control or just a standard revalve? Thanks!

I did a 30 mile trail ride today on the Xplors and after a bit of tuning I think these forks are great. When I did these trails a few months ago I hated it. This time it was a pleasurable experience. I know they are too soft but man do they soak up the trail junk like no other. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Thanks for the feedback Farmboy! Did you keep the Air or switch to the spring kit?

Awesome. Is this with the revalve control or just a standard revalve? Thanks!

Revalve Control, I had them just do both front and rear. 

• Helpful 1

Kept them both air forks.
They feel a lot like coil forks after the revalve control install on the AER forks.
  • Helpful 1