XR650R Electric start XR650R problem

Is there Anyone here who has installed a electric starter on there XR650R have any problems with it starting cold?

Thanks for the reply. New battery heated shop. Was told by the maker of the kit that on some XR650R it just won't crank cold. They said install a programable CDI box and change the timing on the start point . I THINK. I know programable CDI . Told to put MSD-4217 CDI and MSD-8232 coil. If that is what I got to do I guess I will. BUT I don't understand. Why most will crank cold but a few won't. I am the type of person on WHY.

• Like 1

I have thought about that. I have looked up the part # for 2000 Xr650R for both CDI and Flywheel and 2007 # . they are all the same..  I am REAL discouraged with all this.

I do not know how to do that . I am trying to find out the timing of a 96 XR400. I think it is different . I hope I can get the XR400 CDI and it will fix it. I have not confirmed this. Anyone out there no the timing spec on the 96 XR400? The XR650R is 6 degrees BTDC so if the XR400 is 8 degrees BTDC do  you think that would help?

I am not using a programable CDI. I am trying not to use one. Don't have a windows computer and they don't sell the hand held program box any more. If I could find someone to do a program set up I would buy one.