Installing valves in new head

35 minutes ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Dumb question, i know you need to cut seats installing new valves in a used head, but what about a new head? If I order a brand new head and valves from Suzuki do I need to send the head out and have the seats cut?

New valves in a used head sort of depends if the seats are still in good shape.  As long as they’re not beat up and still seal, should be good to go.  

new heads are already cut and just need valves to be lapped 

I believe it is bolt on and go.

What are you doing with the ported head?

Probably sticking it on a shelf. Still haven’t got that one sorted out but want to just get this bike on the road, was going to buy a new head and stock size ferrea valves with ape springs so I can slap it together, maybe one day I’ll figure out what to do with the other head if I need a few more hp.

New valves in a used head sort of depends if the seats are still in good shape.  As long as they’re not beat up and still seal, should be good to go.  
new heads are already cut and just need valves to be lapped 

Can’t lap coated valves

2 minutes ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Probably sticking it on a shelf. Still haven’t got that one sorted out but want to just get this bike on the road, was going to buy a new head and stock size ferrea valves with ape springs so I can slap it together, maybe one day I’ll figure out what to do with the other head if I need a few more hp.

Can’t lap coated valves

Copy. Didn’t realize your DR had coatings

42 minutes ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Can’t lap coated valves

A light lapping to see where the valve faces contact the seats, will not hurt coated valves. I have almost 50,000 kms on mine since lapping my intake valves, no movement in clearance. My stainless exhaust valve clearance has just started to move and leak slightly, 15% on a leak down.

• Like 1

A light lapping to see where the valve faces contact the seats, will not hurt coated valves. I have almost 50,000 kms on mine since lapping my intake valves, no movement in clearance. My stainless exhaust valve clearance has just started to move and leak slightly, 15% on a leak down.

I know where you’re going with this and I don’t disagree but I wouldn’t call it lapping the valves since that has a particular meaning I would call that marking the valves which could be done with lapping compound or even bluing

Talked to chuck at cfm, he said it was possible to fix but depends on how bad the head was. After BS’ing with him on the phone for a bit he convinced me I’d be better off with a different set up anyway, so will be ordering a new head. If anybody wants my old head or a set of 288/293’s with adjustable sprockets give me a shout.

Ran into something else though, new part numbers for the head on 19 models and a different number for 20 models, but 00-18 is all the same. 2020 head is like $300 cheaper than 2018 head. Called Suzuki tech services, guy that I talked to had no idea and was just as interested as me. He said he’s gonna call HQ and get back to me. No idea what the difference is but the numbers don’t supersede to each other.

2 hours ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Talked to chuck at cfm, he said it was possible to fix but depends on how bad the head was. After BS’ing with him on the phone for a bit he convinced me I’d be better off with a different set up anyway, so will be ordering a new head. If anybody wants my old head or a set of 288/293’s with adjustable sprockets give me a shout.

Ran into something else though, new part numbers for the head on 19 models and a different number for 20 models, but 00-18 is all the same. 2020 head is like $300 cheaper than 2018 head. Called Suzuki tech services, guy that I talked to had no idea and was just as interested as me. He said he’s gonna call HQ and get back to me. No idea what the difference is but the numbers don’t supersede to each other.

Does this coincide with some of the 2nd air (PAIR) systems the we have seen lately? It may mean a PAIR port on the head above the exhaust outlet that needs a blanking plate.

What are you going to build?

Looking like 540/539 with oversized exhaust valves stock size intakes and chucks porting. Valve sizing is something I want to learn more about I thought big intakes were the way to go not big exhausts, but the mans put 67hp to the wheels in a quad which is bonkers so I trust him lol