Ltz 400 oil tank is bone dry!!

Hoping to find someone experienced with the oil system on these. Helping a friend fix his because it started smoking bad, he would never see oil on the dip stick, kept adding, i think over filled the case hence how he started burning oil. Went through the whole top end. Everything is good, starrs up strong and runs perfect, no smoke

I put 2.5 quarts into the oil tank, the engine quickly sucked it up but wont return it to the tank. While the engine is running i can see oil coming out the return, into the oil tank, i can watch it through the dip stick hole, but it more bubbles in slowly rather then pours. After running for a few mins i put a long zip tie down the oil tank in place of the dip stick, all the way to the bottom and there is NO oil.

As i understand these engines have 2 oil pumps? One to pressurize oil through the motor, and one to send it back to the oil tank? Im assuming the main oil pump is working as it sucked the oil tank dry in a few seconds.

If all the oil is in the crankcase, will the engine still be able to use that to make oil pressure? Or will the engine loose oil pressure because its sucking from a mostly dry tank? And what could be causing it to return the oil so slowly?!?

I did find where the last guy that worked i this jacked up the cam cap pretty good, heput a threadsert in but aplit the metal and there were loose pieces of aluminum in there and sparkly metal in the oil. If i under stand the oil system i think aluminum from this fell to the bottom where the 2nd oil pump (scavenge pump?) Sycked the aluminum which killed hence why it barely pumps oil back into the tank?0927192140.jpeg0927192141.jpeg0927192141a.jpeg