fuel pump test

Hi, I have an 09 CRF450r that is difficult to start. When I try kicking it over should I get a noise from the fuel pump? It doesnt make any at all but i've read it should be making a whirring sound. Before I start stripping it down is there anything else I should check first and if I do need to test the fuel pump whats the best way to test it?

Hard to start?

Or

wont start at all?

Valves that are out of adjustment will make a bike hard to start. 

The fuel pump may only run for a second or two. Which is enough to start, but not enough for you to notice most of the time. The fuel pressure comes right up because there's only a foot of line. If it's me, I'd put 12v on the system and see how it starts then.

It does start but takes ages. I do the couple of primer kicks then find the right position and give full fast kicks. It can be anything from 10 to 30 kicks. 

How do I connect 12v to it? (where do I put the leads?) Can I just connect it up to a car battery? 

Car battery is fine. You can connect to the condenser connection. Black side is ground, red side is hot. On the harness side, the ground is green, the 12v+ is black.

Car battery or a batter charger will work. Just ground to the foot peg. When you put 12v on the system. the pump will run, the MIL light will flash like the bike is running, if there's a code, it'll flash. Basically, the ECU will think the bike is running, when it isnt.

If you take the fuel line off the pump, you can run a piece of hose into a beer can or whatever. It should fill that can up in about 20 seconds.

fuel pump flow test.PNG

Fuel pump test procedure.PNG

Thanks Shawn_Mc thats great. Unfortunately a job I was hoping to finish at the weekend has had a few delays and I'll be working any free nights I have this week and all next weekend. It might be a while before I can get in the garage to test this. Cheers.

• Like 1