DRZ400SM won’t run

Hello all,

I replaced the stator cover the other day and when I started the bike it started and ran fine for about 3 minutes and then stalled.  Started it back up and it stalled again after 5 seconds. Then it would not start with choke or no choke. 

Waited two days and the first start it started fine but only ran about 2-3 seconds this time. Then it went back to just cranking and not starting again. 

Any input? 

Hello all,

I replaced the stator cover the other day and when I started the bike it started and ran fine for about 3 minutes and then stalled.  Started it back up and it stalled again after 5 seconds. Then it would not start with choke or no choke. 

Waited two days and the first start it started fine but only ran about 2-3 seconds this time. Then it went back to just cranking and not starting again. 
Any input? 
Might be obvious but... Is the petcock on? Gas in the tank?

3 minutes ago, Juney said:
4 minutes ago, Tol24 said:
Hello all,

Any input? 

Read more  

Might be obvious but... Is the petcock on? Gas in the tank?

Yup petcock is on. It actually only has (On, Prime & Reserve) and I tried all of them it’s the same result no matter what I turn it to.

Yup petcock is on. It actually only has (On, Prime & Reserve) and I tried all of them it’s the same result no matter what I turn it to.
Well it should run if there's air, fuel, spark, and compression/timing. It seems unlikely you messed up the compression while working on the stator. I'd check the spark by grounding the plug against the outside of the cylinder. Maybe there was a short that has not burnt through so you got a spark at first, but no more.

Hello all,

Any input? 
Is it an electrosport stator?

I had one that had too much wiring and rubbed through. Giving me no spark. I got a replacement (1 year warranty) and it also wouldn't route workout rubbing. I had to trim back the black sheath so I could slide the rubber seal down further to take out some slack.

...changed the stator and now have problems = check the stator.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, Juney said:
On 9/28/2019 at 11:08 AM, Tol24 said:

Well it should run if there's air, fuel, spark, and compression/timing. It seems unlikely you messed up the compression while working on the stator. I'd check the spark by grounding the plug against the outside of the cylinder. Maybe there was a short that has not burnt through so you got a spark at first, but no more.

Exactly. It had to be the stator since it will flick for a second on but shuts off. 

On 9/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, Erik Marquez said:

Remove the stator cover Check to see if the wiring has been read through due to it being missed routed

Stator is apart again. Wiring looks together correctly, exactly how it came off but see my previous post. There’s a tear in the wrap that goes around some of the wiring that’s connected to the stator which I’m assuming is causing the issue here. 

On 9/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, Juney said:

Is it an electrosport stator?

I had one that had too much wiring and rubbed through. Giving me no spark. I got a replacement (1 year warranty) and it also wouldn't route workout rubbing. I had to trim back the black sheath so I could slide the rubber seal down further to take out some slack.

It’s the stock stator but somehow the sheath seems to have been torn so I’m guessing that is causing the problem. 

43 minutes ago, Tol24 said:

Stator is apart again. Wiring looks together correctly, exactly how it came off but see my previous post. There’s a tear in the wrap that goes around some of the wiring that’s connected to the stator which I’m assuming is causing the issue here. 

Picture would help

5 minutes ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Cut solder and heat shrink, make sure you route the wires properly this time

Thank you for your reply GSXR,

Understood.  Wire must be torn if i am having this issue right?  it wouldn't be as simple as the wire not being routed under the bracket that is causing this problem would it?

Yep it’s that simple. Flywheel probably caught it and now it is shorting out. Have seen people pinch the wires between case halves and cover as well. Needs to go under the bracket

17 minutes ago, Tol24 said:

Wire must be torn if i am having this issue right?  it wouldn't be as simple as the wire not being routed under the bracket that is causing this problem would it?

Get your test meter out and confirm

But no just mis routing is not the issue, miscounting and wire damage likely is 

Should be like this 

guard.jpg

42 minutes ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Yep it’s that simple. Flywheel probably caught it and now it is shorting out. Have seen people pinch the wires between case halves and cover as well. Needs to go under the bracket

Okay thats what i figured.  Dammit at least its the wire, hopefully i dont have to buy a whole new stator.  Thank you for your help GSXR i appreciate it!

41 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Get your test meter out and confirm

But no just mis routing is not the issue, miscounting and wire damage likely is 

Should be like this 

guard.jpg

Yup that is certainly an accident on my part, silly mistake.  Thank you for you reply Erik I really do appreciate it!  I will keep this thread updated in case anyone is interested or wants to see anymore potential mistakes that i can make.