XR200R shifting problems

I'm stuck!

I bought a 99 xr200r for $500, guy said it ran fine but couldn't get it into 1st or neutral. I looked it up and figured i'd have to do the star and plate replacement. I rode it a couple days without a first gear or neutral and it was running great. The last day it started not wanting to shift down from the upper gears. Like an idiot i really tried stomping on it a few times before realizing it took a very light touch to get it back down. Anyway I tore it apart, replaced the star and plate, thought I had it running through all the gears so I began to put it back together. I ended up snapping the clutch hub while tightening so I had to order one. Once that came and I went to reassemble again, I couldn't get the thing to cycle through the gears! Now it goes through 1-N-2-3, but will not continue into 4-5-6. After inspection i can see that the gear drum (the thing the star bolts onto), will not rotate more than about 170 degrees. Thus why i can only access about half the gears. I am now at a loss as to what to do. This is my first time tearing into a bike like this and I'm trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic but... I don't wanna split the case without even knowing what parts i'm looking to inspect/replace.

Any tips? SEE VIDEO ATTACHED

TIA

IMG_1377.png

Sounds like you need shift forks. Had a similar issue with my 95 XR200. You could tell be the tire wear that the thing had been used previously really hard and a lot of wheelies and highway speed riding. Turned out that my shift forks were worn down below service spec. I believe the wear spec is 4.5 mm minimum. It is a case split type repair. If you can do a top end then you can do this at home. I did.

Yeah I think you're right about the shift forks. I was watching a video (

) and at one point the guy has to 'wiggle the chain' to get it into the next gear. I also read that it's not uncommon for a bike to not shift properly on the bench, it needs to be oiled and hot and gears moving around for things to shift properly. dSo i tried rolling my bike forward and backwards a little bit to see if i could get it into the higher gears. I never got it into any higher gears but I was able to make it worse to where I could only access 1 or 2 gears. But i'm pretty sure now that I was getting it into all the gears before I tried to reassemble the first time. So now i'm wondering if i should reassemble and see if it works any better than on the bench? or just go ahead and replace shift forks? 

Yes those are it in the diagram. Before I replaced mine I looked up the part numbers on Babbitt's and then searched the numbers on eBay. Since Honda didn't make them anymore for my 95 I sound up getting an entire used set and checked them for wear. All were useable so it worked in my favor. I would use an good blown up diagram like you have and check all of your assembly, if good I'd go into the cases and replace the shift forks.

Thanks! I'm looking to dig into this thing today. I've got forks and a drum from eBay. I've got service manual PDF's but i'm honestly not sure what has to come off and in what order? I can't find any walkthroughs or video either, any chance you wanna give me a quick rundown of the process? 

Ok, so I know where it is and I will have to go and get it tomorrow. It's in my storage unit because I just moved. I will get back to you in the morning sometime.