Hand lever mod/hack ideas?

I ride a KTM 300 XCW, but I suppose this could be an issue for any bike...

I'm pretty small (5'2/110#), with small hands, have somehow managed to put about 9000 trail miles on this bike in the past two years w/out dying, so it's not a total show-stopper, BUT I really need to figure out an option where I can better reach the clutch.  

When I'm on steep technical descents, merely bc of the size of my hands and the need to also use the handlebars/weight (as leverage), I then can't really reach the clutch w/out compromising control (leverage, pushing against handlebars). It's fine when on flat, climbs and moderate DH, but the steep stuff, not at all. And now seeing Hogge's video from Devils Punchbowl (which I rode/walked/cursed) a few weeks prior, I realize this is something I really should stop procratinating about. I'm somehow "making it work", but I feel like I could ride a lot safer and avoid some inevtiable injury if I can figure something out. 

I've heard that some older guys (dealing w/arthritis?) had riggered some DIY dog/canvas straps to the grips for easier access. Has anyone manufactured something for small hands? Welded? For small people/hands (like mine).... ideas? And yes, I've already got the levers that are adjustable and they're pulled back as far as they can go. (Short people problems  
Thanks in advance...

There are some dog-leg levers that might enable more travel, meaning you can set the lever closer to the bar before the effect of the clutch begins (or brake). But if you do reduce travel needed, you then are forced to increase effort.

I have little hands. I run DRC folding levers, they are a dog leg style. ASV makes similar. My hands are so small that I have an unpleasant time riding a bike like a Harley. I have to nearly take my hand off of the grip to reach out to grab the clutch!

The best solution is hand strengthening and then reducing total travel. I have worked that angle.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks. I’ll look into that.
Btw It’s not so much a strength issue, more of reach... on very steep tech descents, have to readjust hand placement a bit just to keep leverage against the handlebars, meaning that my fingers are long enough to reach the clutch. Raced mountain bikes for years and had similar issues but those are usually a bit closer to the grips.
Small people problems :-)

You can get smaller lever/perches. But on most modern bikes, you would also have to use a shorter actuation arm on the engine to get enough action to release the release the clutch. More effort. Source a dog leg lever for starters and mess with the freeplay adjustment. Best of luck.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:07 PM, redrock88 said:

Hi and thanks. I’ll look into that.
Btw It’s not so much a strength issue, more of reach... on very steep tech descents, have to readjust hand placement a bit just to keep leverage against the handlebars, meaning that my fingers are long enough to reach the clutch. Raced mountain bikes for years and had similar issues but those are usually a bit closer to the grips.
Small people problems ?

A master cylinder with a larger bore would allow you to adjust the lever closer to the grip and still fully disengage the clutch, effort at the lever will be increased though. If your a math person you could probably calculate the differences, I'd just try it and see. Your master cyl probably has the bore diameter stamped on it.

I'm short and have small hands and have made at least 10 dog strap levers. They are easy to make. Here's one on my trials bike.

11192678506_fd014ba2bc_b.jpg

First I painted them with Rustoleum high performance enamel. Let one coat dry and repeat. Drill a hole on the end of the strap and ball end and rivet. Black shoe goo applied and cut to shape after it dries. A couple of zip ties and glue.

Here it is on my KDX200 with extension.

20141119_171409

I don't use this extension anymore. Instead I use a steel tennis racquet section for the extension. I need to take a photo of my current perch mount because it goes beyond the bend and I am able to mount it where I want. I might try a straight bar or mountain bike bar with bar risers.

• Like 1