Considering CDI ignition. Talk me out of it.

Tired of fooling with the points type ignition on my XT flat tracker - with no lights of course.  Thinking about a PVL or similar set up but the cost is frightening at approx. $600 USD.  My old used pickup truck only cost $1500 and I brought my first baby home from the hospital in 1984 for a little over $400 out of pocket.   I just can't pull the trigger on a $600 CDI gadget unless it will save money, make life easier or create more spare time.  Read some comments stating they are not 100% plug and play so why buy something else to fiddle with when I already can do that with points?  Change my mind.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
Wife and I hv bn happily married 15 years = she's happy,, I'm married.

I have both types of bikes, points and CDI.  I'd only spring for it if it was guaranteed plug & play.   Did they ever make a later XT with CDI ignition?  You could probably get one of those pretty cheap.  Up to you...Have you looked at the spark timing with a timing light?  Does it look pretty stable or does it shift from a little advanced to a little retarded?  If it's pretty stable and points are still readily available, I'd say not much gain.

Just what Jimmy didn't want to do - mess around with the conversion to his wiring.  Admittedly, the price is right and it  could be a solution with an easy-to-find part.  I bet you could find a NEW one for cheap too.  I was curious so I saw that a module like a Duralst DR-124 has the pin config shown.  It could work. From Autozone was $35 but I bet you could get it cheaper.  I googled "GM HEI electronic ignition module"  and along with all the images, there are a lot of basic schematics too.  The GM 4 pin may be easier to use...?

Edited by motoxvet

1 hour ago, motoxvet said:

Just what Jimmy didn't want to do - mess around with the conversion to his wiring.  Admittedly, the price is right and it  could be a solution with an easy-to-find part.  I bet you could find a NEW one for cheap too.  I was curious so I saw that a module like a Duralst DR-124 has the pin config shown.  It could work. From Autozone was $35 but I bet you could get it cheaper.  I googled "GM HEI electronic ignition module"  and along with all the images, there are a lot of basic schematics too.  The GM 4 pin may be easier to use...?

That's too complicated for a Georgia boy like me.  I have trouble with a flashlight.  But wait, Rex's Speed Shop has a unit for $224 USD!  Look at it.   Anybody got the skinny on that?

Edited by Jimmy Pascol

23 hours ago, motoxvet said:

Again, if it guaranteed plug and play, that price won't hurt quite so much.

The full race unit at Rex's is just over $300 USD.  I can enjoy that much pain better than twice as much for the PVL.   Points are a pain in the azz but you can always make it run at least.  If the electronic unit lays down it's going to hurt a lot worse.   I'm going in!  Taking one for the team! 

(Asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday; she said either a diamond ring or a Mercedes.  Bought her a diamond ring because I couldn't find a cubic zirconium Mercedes for only $50)

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
  • Haha 1

On my HL 500 replica, I used an 81' XT motor that came stock with a CDI ignition but I didn't get the CDI box when I purchased it. I bought the Rex Speed Shop unit and it is great. Made for ez starting and it NEVER kicks back when trying to fire it up.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 9/29/2019 at 9:28 AM, BigDaddy22 said:

On my HL 500 replica, I used an 81' XT motor that came stock with a CDI ignition but I didn't get the CDI box when I purchased it. I bought the Rex Speed Shop unit and it is great. Made for ez starting and it NEVER kicks back when trying to fire it up.

Did you have to do a lot of rewiring?  All I need is spark at the cylinder.  I think the simplest answer is going to be the race unit from Rex.  The last thing I need is another half-baked project bike in the garage.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Pascol said:

Did you have to do a lot of rewiring?  All I need is spark at the cylinder.  I think the simplest answer is going to be the race unit from Rex.  The last thing I need is another half-baked project bike in the garage.  

I bought the SR2, this unit:

https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/sr400-sr500-cdi-unit-1979-97/

Advertised as plug & play. But all I had was the 81' motor and that had the connector from the mag cut off. So I cut the connectors off the Rex unit and wired the 5 (or so) wires from the mag to the Rex SR2 and 1 or 2 more to the coil & kill button.

They do have the SR1 for 1978 (points?) models:

https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/yamaha-sr500-cdi-unit-1978-e/

Both these units are under $100, but you need the stator kit to generate the spark pulse... I assume you are looking at the RMK-4?