ogio flight vest

finally wore out a second one....anything else out there similar folks are using?  I've gotten good use out of this model for about a decade. It spreads weight around well, and carries a lot of stuff. That said, they have gotten harder to source and the price has gone way up. Just wondering what else has come along in the meantime. 

I just got a new Bushmaster by Tek Vest. Got the enduro pack so it’s all integrated: chest, shoulder, ribs and back protection.
It has tons of pockets on the front and of course a spot for a bladder in the pack.
Rode for a week in Salida with it and absolutely love it!!!!

• Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Large CamelBak for years

OGIO for several years

USWE now, much better than both previous. Less restriction, less movement, more airflow, more comfortable. 

what if ya don't wanna take your pack off every time ya need something? I like the OGIO in that I could keep all the commonly used stuff in the front. Had a pouch for everything on the front, and a place to put tire irons, extra tubes, water filters, helmet lights, saws, etc in the back. 

8 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

what if ya don't wanna take your pack off every time ya need something? I like the OGIO in that I could keep all the commonly used stuff in the front. Had a pouch for everything on the front, and a place to put tire irons, extra tubes, water filters, helmet lights, saws, etc in the back. 

Yeah, it's quite not accessible like the OGIO, but it is so easy to get off/on with the 4 strap harness, it's something that's not an issue for me. 

I found that stopping for anything like snack, break, picture, maintenance, etc with any system, I ended up taking off the pack or vest anyways. 

I'm running this one, the 12L Pace, I still have access pockets for the little things that I may want easy quick access to. 

Edited by firffighter

7 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Yeah, it's not accessible like the OGIO, but it is so easy to get off/on with the 4 strap harness, it's something that's not an issue for me. 

I found that stopping for anything like snack, break, picture, maintenance, etc with any system, I ended up taking off the pack or vest anyways. 

Thanks for input. I just don't think I can do a pack. I've got lots of packs that I don't mind wearing if I just want to wear a pack, but with the OGIO once it goes on, it stays on all day...rarely take it off. I keep my phone, wallet, food etc. I can take my chainsaw and throw it in a pack and wear it over my OGIO when I need to as well. 

With all the crap packed into the front, it's a pretty decent chest protector too.

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

Thanks for input. I just don't think I can do a pack. I've got lots of packs that I don't mind wearing if I just want to wear a pack, but with the OGIO once it goes on, it stays on all day...rarely take it off. I keep my phone, wallet, food etc. I can take my chainsaw and throw it in a pack and wear it over my OGIO when I need to as well. 

With all the crap packed into the front, it's a pretty decent chest protector too.

Yeah, I definitely understand. I have gone through many packs and not found any that really worked as I wanted. Even the integrated ones with chest protector. 

But, this USWE Pace is just awesome. It doesn't move, is extremely comfortable and with my gear on it just feels very light    I do some trail running, so it's versatile and good for multiple uses. 

The flight vest was nice to though, just more restrictive and warmer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

finally wore out a second one....anything else out there similar folks are using?  I've gotten good use out of this model for about a decade. It spreads weight around well, and carries a lot of stuff. That said, they have gotten harder to source and the price has gone way up. Just wondering what else has come along in the meantime. 

https://ogiopowersports.com/products/copy-of-throttle-back-pack-stealth-2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

Ok, so which one do you use and why is it a better choice than the OGIO Flight vest? 🙂

I use a 3L hydration pack and quite a few of my buddies use the Ogio and they really like them but not my choice

I was just suggesting looking at an actual tactical vest as an option to the Ogio but $$$ fit/form/function

• Like 1

I'm a bit different in that I pack different stuff for different riding areas. Most of my riding is at an area with lots of logging roads. 👎 But that provides a lot of easy exits if I have problems so I don't pack much for that riding area.

Because of the trees I wear a chest protector with shoulder pads but added a MSR Roost Pack to carry stuff like: phone, wallet, maps, and some small tools for the carb and fork clickers. I have a small fender pack on the number plate for 2 Gatorades and 2 protein bars. For my day rides I don't need more than a quart of liquid and 2 bars.  For day rides that is all I need because my boots have a hinged ankles for walking, I know where I can find cell coverage, and I have maps and GPS on my phone. 

For riding in the Cascade Mountains the items packed does increase and I add a Moose Fender Pack to the front fender that has all kinds of tools and stuff. If needed I also have an Ogio Fanny Pack for carrying more tools.

My rational is why pack "what if" items if you can still ride out. So no tire stuff for day rides because I can ride out with a flat, and I've done that several times with a Mich S-12. 🤦  For long rides I pack a gas siphon hose and a tow rope.