Manual vs. reality, can fork cap bushings be replaced?

According to the Haynes shop manual for my '06 CRF250X, the entire fork cap assembly has to be replaced if the bushing is worn (right arrow in manual pic). 

I have my Showa USD shocks all apart and the bushings on my fork cap (there's two on mine, the Haynes pic only shows one) appear to be removable and replaceable, they're split the same way as the bushings on the fork legs and came right off.  I have new ones on order.

Is the manual just outdated, showing an old fork cap assembly?  Or is there a reason the entire assembly should be replaced if the bushings are worn?  Any help appreciated.

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

Totally replaceable as is the seal inside it for the shaft which should be replaced as well. That picture is a comp assembly from an older generation 47mm twin chamber fork used for reference. 

Like many bike manufacturers, Honda does not sell many fork parts individually but rather as complete 'assemblies' ($$$)

Individual parts can usually be purchased thru specialized suspension vendors like Factory Connection, Race Tech etc.

Same deal with your Keihin FCR carburetor, many Honda listed parts are only available as assemblies.

Using a 2005 Yamaha YZ250F as a reference bike, it uses the same basic 37mm FCR carburetor 

and unlike Honda, Yamaha sells most parts individually.

Some parts like midbody seals etc. are only available thru specialized carburetor vendors (Sudco, JD, Jetsrus etc)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Like many bike manufacturers, Honda does not sell many fork part individually but rather as complete 'assemblies' ($$$)

Individual parts can usually be purchased thru specialized suspension vendors like Factory Connection, Race Tech etc.

Same deal with your Keihin FCR carburetor, many parts are only available as assemblies.

Using a 2005 Yamaha YZ250F as a reference bike, it uses the same basic 37mm carburetor 

and unlike Honda, Yamaha sells most parts individually.

Some parts like midbody seals etc. are only available thru specialized carburetor vendors (Sudco, JD, Jetsrus etc)

Interesting.  I had no problem ordering a set of OEM fork cap bushings through partzilla, which further confirms to me that they’re replaceable despite what the Haynes manual says.  

9 hours ago, mxaniac said:

Haynes should stick to making underware and leave the technical manuals to someone else.

Was looking for a Clymer but there doesn’t appear to be one for the 06 CRF250X.  I have a shop manual for this bike but I find the aftermarket manuals are more instructive and detailed on what exactly to do.  

On 9/29/2019 at 8:33 AM, Micah D said:

Was looking for a Clymer but there doesn’t appear to be one for the 06 CRF250X.  I have a shop manual for this bike but I find the aftermarket manuals are more instructive and detailed on what exactly to do.  

Haynes and Clymer are identical....text and photos are exactly the same in each.  It appears that one of those companies has bought out the other.

• Helpful 1

While you have it apart put in a progressive spring.  I mean on the base valve. Inner Chamber Spring.  I put one in the forks on my 07 cr250 it made it work so much better over the little braking bumps and roots. Only place I found carrying them is Merge racing. lite to medium

• Like 1