Rabbit Valley / Fruita

I was just there last weekend.  @redhurricane is right.  If it's dry it's a blast however if it is wet, I would avoid it for the reasons he mentioned.  Last weekend it was dry.  The dirt there is like talcum powder or drywall dust (I'm still cleaning it out of the camper). so make sure have your water with you.

I would suggest checking the weather before you go.  If it's been raining within a few days of your planned departure or while you plan to be there, I would suggest skipping.

14 hours ago, redhurricane said:

if it is wet, it gets very snotty. if it's dry, it's real good. Wet mud dries on bikes like concrete. 

20190223_152514.jpg.2a1d2b2352d57d37157a202956fd1398.jpg20190223_160238.jpg.e9306086461e1ca858bfe599a70ee7bd.jpg20190223_135435.jpg.227d8579e82ef0250be0ee765166a934.jpgimage.png.e84238539cf6bd2136268ca51c024cdc.pngimage.png.0ef8337fb981ddec3cbe0a053a94b021.png

That red mud is evil.  A few years ago I made the mistake of leaving it on the underside of my Jeep for a few days.  A power washer wouldn't even get it off.  I ended up under there chiseling the stuff off.  It was still in crevices a few years later.

Depends on where you choose to ride....a buddy came out on a redeye and we rode all day in the rain. We stayed on the sand and had an absolute blast. Granted, these guys aren't lying, the mud in some spots will keep you on your toes for sure and is quite difficult to get off once it dries. The place is a great time in cooler weather. I live about 25 minutes away. ?

ps....I forgot, Baxter is a great ride if you like single track. 40 miles of rocks, cedars/pinyons, ups, downs and one groove to follow. Roughly, follow 8rd west out of Mack to a sharp left onto S road then it curves right onto 4rd. About 2 or 3 miles up there's a gravel road on the left with a parking area...Prarrie Canyon is the street sign (U1-5/10rd) on the left. The trail straddles Utah/Colorado state line. No kiosk, no signage...know where you're going or take a local.

Ride1.JPG

Edited by OldMechanik
  • Like 1

One of the most expensive rides ever last year riding Rabbit it the rain.  Both fork seals, shock seal, ear wheel bearings.....  Two days to clean the bike.  

The mud in some spots is unrideable.  If it is wet you must go with someone that knows where to go to avoid the mud.  It can be done but it's not easy.  We were in the wrong spot during a downpour.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you it took 45 minutes to climb a 200 yard hill.  The bikes were so caked we had to take off the fork protectors and remove rear wheel, scrape some of that crap just to get the bikes back to the truck.  AWEFUL!!!!

But it is a favorite in cold weather for us.  There are incredible spots there...

59 minutes ago, tt81621 said:

One of the most expensive rides ever last year riding Rabbit it the rain.  Both fork seals, shock seal, ear wheel bearings.....  Two days to clean the bike.  

The mud in some spots is unrideable.  If it is wet you must go with someone that knows where to go to avoid the mud.  It can be done but it's not easy.  We were in the wrong spot during a downpour.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you it took 45 minutes to climb a 200 yard hill.  The bikes were so caked we had to take off the fork protectors and remove rear wheel, scrape some of that crap just to get the bikes back to the truck.  AWEFUL!!!!

But it is a favorite in cold weather for us.  There are incredible spots there...

I know what hill you speak of. You want to join us 11/23-11/24? Will be towards the Westwater side. 

• 4 months later...

For anything in Colorado, you can find them on COTREX.  You can download COTREX app on phone and download maps by quadrant.  Here is for the desktop computer version so you can see what they have.

https://trails.colorado.gov/

For Utah portion...Mel Loop, Arch Overlook etc, look up the Utah Rims maps.  Heres a link to a papermap that you can print.

https://digitallibrary.utah.gov/awweb/awarchive?type=file&item=73431

I also believe the Avenza maps (app for your phone) will work for the some of the Utah stuff as well.  Little harder to find a map using the map store but I have found the following free maps:

• McInnis Canyons National Conservations Area Travel System
  • Rabbit Valley SRMA Travel Map
  • Manti-La Sal National Forest Moab Ranger District MVUM

So far I havent been able to find the Utah Rims map that I linked above within the Avenza app.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, zzsean said:

On avenza "BLM UTAH Ebike Opportunities" has the Utah Rims trails on it.

Thx @zzsean    That's funny. I searched under "Utah Rims" and under Mels Loop and Westwater and nothing showed...just lots of historical USGS maps for that westwater region.

And that highlights one of several weaknesses of Avenza vs. COTREX.  Finding the free map to download and then having to remember the name of the map so you can open it when you are in Avenza sometimes isnt easy.  But, at least Avenza works for Utah riding (or beyond CO borders).

For COTREX you just need to find the quadrant and download it ahead of time.  I have loaded everything from the Front Range all the way to the western border on my phone.  Open up COTREX.  Hit the locate function and your are on the appropriate quadrant showing where you are...assuming you have predownloaded the maps.

Both Avenza and COTREX work on airplane mode and dont seem to burn much battery at least on my Samsung S9 and my previous Samsung S5 phones.

• Like 1